Old May 29th 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Whither the new Piccadilly Line trains?

On 29 May, 11:20, "Recliner" wrote:
"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote in message
I know Tube Lines were supposed to be close to ordering new trains to
replace the 1973 stock, but I wonder what the status is now. *With
Tube Lines being absorbed by TfL, and a government freeze on any new
mainline train orders, would it be fair to assume that this
replacement Tube fleet won't be ordered for some years?

If so, what will need to be done to keep the 1973 stock in good
working order? *Personally, I like the existing trains (yes, I agree
with Boltar), and wouldn't be unhappy seeing them soldier on for
another ten years, but don't know if there are any developing
mechanical/electrical/safety problems that could prevent this. And
would they need another refurbishment or heavy overhaul programme?

There's a big gap in age between this fleet and the next oldest (once
the A, C, D and 1967 stocks retire over the next few years) --
amazingly, with the demise of the short-lived 1983 stock, the
extended-life 1973 trains will be almost 20 years older than the next
oldest LU fleet on the Central Line.

There will still be the 1972 stock on the Bakerloo, which is not
scheduled to be replaced until after the Piccadilly.

Good point, I'd forgotten about them. But they're actually newer than
the 1973 stock, aren't they?

No. They started going into service nearly two years earlier.

My memory is that the whole fleets of 1972 mark 1 and 1972 mark 2
stock were already running on the Northern line alongside 1938 stock
while the 1959 stock was just starting to be displaced by 1973 stock
being introduced on the Piccadilly, and moving over to replace the
rest of the 1938 stock (and the 1972 mark 2 stock eventually).

Old May 29th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:45:19 +0100, MIG
wrote:
My memory is that the whole fleets of 1972 mark 1 and 1972 mark 2
stock were already running on the Northern line alongside 1938 stock
while the 1959 stock was just starting to be displaced by 1973 stock
being introduced on the Piccadilly, and moving over to replace the
rest of the 1938 stock (and the 1972 mark 2 stock eventually).

And my memory, FWIW, is that the 73 stock was introduced in about 1975,
not 1973.

Since tube stock seems to be good for at least 40 years' service, I don't
suppose the world would end if they delayed replacing the 73 for 5 years
(from now).

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old May 29th 10, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

My memory is that the whole fleets of 1972 mark 1 and 1972 mark 2
stock were already running on the Northern line alongside 1938 stock
while the 1959 stock was just starting to be displaced by 1973 stock
being introduced on the Piccadilly, and moving over to replace the
rest of the 1938 stock (and the 1972 mark 2 stock eventually).

And my memory, FWIW, is that the 73 stock was introduced in about 1975, *
not 1973.

Yes it was. And the 1972 mark 2 first introduced in late 1973 (and
all in service by some time in 1974 according to a source I found
since).

Since tube stock seems to be good for at least 40 years' service, I don't *
suppose the world would end if they delayed replacing the 73 for 5 years *
(from now).

A stock still going strong and will be very sadly missed. I sometimes
hear normals talking about the nice, comfortable train they caught
between Kings Cross and Baker Street or wherever. It's not just an
enthusiast thing.

LU stock seemed a lot more interchangeable then, swapping between
lines quite often. Nowadays it seems as if it's always purpose built
for a specific line and signalling system.
Old May 29th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message nKZLn.378$J52.330@hurricane, "
writes

I had thought that it was to be the 67s as the 09s came into service.

It seems as though the 67s have a different control set up then other
LUL rolling stock. Whereas the deadman lever is normally in the
controller, it is separate from the controller on the 67s.

They have a similar set up in Berlin.

IIRC, the problem with the 67s is that their speeds are restricted to
25 miles when in manual. Speeds on the Island Line can reach 45 miles.

I would imagine there will be enough work done on them if they ever
reach the IOW for this not to be a problem; after all it should only
involve changing a few wires about.
Old May 29th 10, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 29 May, 23:28, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
A stock still going strong and will be very sadly missed. *I sometimes
hear normals talking about the nice, comfortable train they caught
between Kings Cross and Baker Street or wherever. *It's not just an
enthusiast thing.

LU stock seemed a lot more interchangeable then, swapping between
lines quite often. *Nowadays it seems as if it's always purpose built
for a specific line and signalling system.

"Then" was before the A stock, however. It's never gone anywhere other
than the lines on which the stock it replaced ran, the Met and East London.

Old May 30th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On 29 May, 23:28, wrote:
In article

,

(MIG) wrote:
A stock still going strong and will be very sadly missed. *I
sometimes hear normals talking about the nice, comfortable train
they caught between Kings Cross and Baker Street or wherever. *
It's not just an enthusiast thing.

LU stock seemed a lot more interchangeable then, swapping between
lines quite often. *Nowadays it seems as if it's always purpose
built for a specific line and signalling system.

"Then" was before the A stock, however. It's never gone anywhere other
than the lines on which the stock it replaced ran, the Met and
East London.

It happened not to, but much of its contemporaries did, and stuff since.

1959 stock ran on Central, Piccadilly, Northern and Bakerloo.

1972 stock ran on Northern, Bakerloo and Jubilee (some of them more
than once).

1973 stock only happened to run on the Piccadilly, so some have more
interesting histories than others.

1973 is more typical,like the A, C & D stock. It was the advent of the
1973 TS that allowed the cascade of the 1959 stock to the Northern. The
1962 stock, with minimal exceptions, never left the Central. The 1973 cars
are too ling to fit on other tube lines.

--
Colin Rosenstiel