London Banter

-   -   Senior Pass acceptance (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10887-senior-pass-acceptance.html)

Graham Harrison[_2_] June 7th 10 11:44 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round here
in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I was in
London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have me simply
show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the Oyster reader. Was
that correct? How do London organise the funding?

Recliner[_2_] June 7th 10 12:17 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? How do London organise the
funding?

It's similar if you have a paper travelcard, but I think the drivers
press some sort of counter button. I don't know if they have different
buttons for different types of pass.

Graham Harrison[_2_] June 7th 10 01:38 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

"Recliner" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? How do London organise the
funding?

It's similar if you have a paper travelcard, but I think the drivers press
some sort of counter button. I don't know if they have different buttons
for different types of pass.

I did wonder about whether a button had been pushed so I started watching
and didn't see anything but that doesn't mean nothing happened.

Offramp June 7th 10 08:16 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

On 7 June, 13:17, "Recliner" wrote:

It's similar if you have a paper travelcard, but I think the drivers
press some sort of counter button. I don't know if they have different
buttons for different types of pass.

They have a buzzer like Mr Burns in the Simpsons.

Brian Robertson[_3_] June 7th 10 08:41 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

Graham Harrison wrote:
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? How do London organise the
funding?

Oh God, you'll start that old nutter from Preston off!

Anyway, it runs like this in Manchester at least. In the south of Greater
Manchester Stagecoach issue a ticket. In the north, First don't. The
operators seem to have an agrement with the PTE where an average fare is
agreed for an average number of passengers using the passes. At no time do
the drivers of either company have to record a boarding or destination
stage.
--
Visit my website: British Railways in 1960
http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk

CJB June 8th 10 09:03 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

On Jun 7, 2:38*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. * I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. * Was that correct? * How do London organise the
funding?

It's similar if you have a paper travelcard, but I think the drivers press
some sort of counter button. I don't know if they have different buttons
for different types of pass.

I did wonder about whether a button had been pushed so I started watching
and didn't see anything but that doesn't mean nothing happened.

The drivers in London basically don't give a damn. I've seen them
simply ignore bus passes. Sometimes if a lot of people get on they'll
wait, and then just before driving away press a button on the ticket
machine lots of times guessing how many passengers got on. But they
NEVER gve you a ticket. CJB.

[email protected] June 8th 10 09:11 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 02:03:57 -0700 (PDT)
CJB wrote:
I did wonder about whether a button had been pushed so I started watching
and didn't see anything but that doesn't mean nothing happened.

The drivers in London basically don't give a damn. I've seen them
simply ignore bus passes. Sometimes if a lot of people get on they'll
wait, and then just before driving away press a button on the ticket

Can't blame them really. If you have the choice of finishing your shift on
time or quibbling with some geriatric or some yoof copping an attitude and
with a queue of 20 annoyed people wanting to board its a no brainer.

machine lots of times guessing how many passengers got on. But they
NEVER gve you a ticket. CJB.

Unless you need to claim expenses whats the point of a ticket anyway?
Its not like you need it to get off the bus like you need one to leave
a lot of train stations. Just a waste of paper.

B2003

Bevan Price[_4_] June 8th 10 12:29 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

On 07/06/2010 21:41, Brian Robertson wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? How do London organise the
funding?

Oh God, you'll start that old nutter from Preston off!

Anyway, it runs like this in Manchester at least. In the south of Greater
Manchester Stagecoach issue a ticket. In the north, First don't. The
operators seem to have an agrement with the PTE where an average fare is
agreed for an average number of passengers using the passes. At no time do
the drivers of either company have to record a boarding or destination
stage.

For a while, First Manchester did issue tickets, but stopped doing so -
I think someone decided it was causing delays to services by issuing
lots of zero fare tickets.

Practice varies even within the same group. Arriva's Bolton depot even
asks your destination, which the driver enters into his machine and this
is shown on the ticket. Some depots issue tickets, but do not ask your
destination, and certain depots don't issue any tickets at all - the
driver just presses a button on the ticket machine.

To me it seems a waste of money to print lots of zero value tickets when
you also have a bus pass to show to that rarity - a bus ticket
travelling inspector.

Bevan

Ian[_2_] June 8th 10 01:22 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

Depends on the agreement with the local authority???? After all, thay
are picking up the tab (or are supposed to be)....

In Reading, there seems to be two types of OAP free ticket issued -
whether the OAP has a "local" or an "out-of-town" pass.... in
Hampshire, IFAICS, a ticket is issued, and when the drivers module is
downloaded at the end of the day, the bus co has some idea of how many
OAP passes have been carried on each journey. Must help in the
planning, and in the accounting for repayment from LA....

If issuing a "zero value" ticket IS important, from the bus co's point
of view, then they WILL require the Road Inspectors to check that such
tickets are being issued. And RIs DO exist.

[email protected] June 8th 10 09:10 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

On 07/06/2010 22:27, Ivor Jones wrote:
On 07/06/10 21:41, Brian Robertson wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? How do London organise the
funding?

Oh God, you'll start that old nutter from Preston off!

Anyway, it runs like this in Manchester at least. In the south of Greater
Manchester Stagecoach issue a ticket. In the north, First don't. The
operators seem to have an agrement with the PTE where an average fare is
agreed for an average number of passengers using the passes. At no
time do
the drivers of either company have to record a boarding or destination
stage.

In the West Midlands we use the Wayfarer system. On the machine are
buttons for various types of tickets and passes, when a pass holder
boards the driver simply presses the appropriate button. The data from
the machine is downloaded when the bus arrives back in garage and the
appropriate amount is claimed from the PTE (Centro). There is no
requirement (or even means) to issue a ticket.

If anyone is familiar with the Transcend software package, it gives very
detailed analysis/statistics on ticket/pass use.

Ivor

How is information from an Oyster card relayed when you tap in on a bus?
If you are on pay as you go, for example, and change busses, then the
indicator on the second bus already shows that previous fare was
deducted from the first bus.