London Banter

-   -   Oyster (& Freedom Pass) Days Out of London by train offer (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10934-oyster-freedom-pass-days-out.html)

Mizter T June 25th 10 10:17 PM

Oyster (& Freedom Pass) Days Out of London by train offer

Thanks to MatSav on uk.railway for the heads up, this rather good
offer has come to my attention - I thought it deserved a thread of its
own, so I hope he doesn't mind me starting this one (which is x-posted
to both uk.transport.london and uk.r).

National Rail are running a promotion for Oyster card and Freedom Pass
holders for days out from London - with substantially discounted Off-
Peak Day Return fares, and in some cases Off-Peak period Return fares,
to a pretty wide range of destinations as far away as Bristol,
Cardiff, Norwich and Crewe (the last on LM trains only). The offer
runs for a month from Sat 26 June (tomorrow) until Sun 25 July.
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/oyster

The return fares are priced at the following levels: £5, £10, £15 or
£20. The journey is supposed to start from a London terminus station.

Critically to take advantage of this you need a voucher for each
journey which is printed off from the website - this is actually a
personalised voucher, for which you're asked to hand over some
personal information as well as specifying the date and destination
(with origin London terminal if there's a choice) of the intended
journey, and are also asked for your Oyster card number, at the end of
which you're presented with a custom generated voucher to print off
and present to the booking office alongside your Oyster card / Freedom
Pass.

Obviously one of the motivations underlying this offer must be the
TOCs desire to capture information for their customer/ marketing
databases. The requirement to submit one's Oyster card number
undoubtedly pricked my ears up somewhat, as I'm rather curious as to
how they'll chew over this information. However, if one has an
unregistered Oyster to hand, then dare I suggest for the purposes of
this offer one could be who one wants to be. (TfL looks like they
might well get a look in on the data, but you wouldn't end up
registering an Oyster card by proxy simply by partaking in this
promotion.)

Anyhow regardless of such considerations, this looks like a nifty way
to get out of town out of town for a cheap trip, for the next month at
least!

The blurb does say that you should use your Oyster to reach the London
terminal station, but I very much doubt if the booking office check
this - if they did (which would astonish me), then you could always
nip out and touch-in on a bus! Oh, and TfL Staff Oysters are good for
it as well, it seems. And the drop-down list of Oyster card types has
an "Elite Athletes Oyster photocard" as an option, which is a new one
on me - anyone know more?

Actually, whilst trying to search for info on the above, I found an
internal rail briefing document about this offer, hosted - for
whatever reason - on this "Penalty Fare Appeal Support" website...

- their blog post on the offer is he
http://www.penaltyfareappeal.co.uk/wordpress/?p=1219

- the internal briefing document is here (PDF):
http://preview.tinyurl.com/33qyz6j

Charles Ellson June 25th 10 11:55 PM

Oyster (& Freedom Pass) Days Out of London by train offer

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

[...]

Something to do with planned events in the wastelands of the Lea
Valley ?

upinthesky June 26th 10 08:04 PM

On Jun 25, 11:17*pm, Mizter T wrote:

The return fares are priced at the following levels: £5, £10, £15 or
£20. The journey is supposed to start from a London terminus station.

Actually, this doesn't apply.

After reading this thread this morning I decided to take advantage and
have a day in the sun in Brighton. Was quite happy to travel up to
Victoria but when I looked at the help page for the offer I found that
you can join the train at any intermediate station, provided the train
had a
started at a London terminus, in my case Victoria. Bargain, two adults
an under 5 return to Brighton, £10, ta very much.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/oyster-voucher-help

[email protected] June 27th 10 10:54 PM

Oyster (& Freedom Pass) Days Out of London by train offer

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Thanks to MatSav on uk.railway for the heads up, this rather good
offer has come to my attention - I thought it deserved a thread of its
own, so I hope he doesn't mind me starting this one (which is x-posted
to both uk.transport.london and uk.r).

National Rail are running a promotion for Oyster card and Freedom Pass
holders for days out from London - with substantially discounted Off-
Peak Day Return fares, and in some cases Off-Peak period Return fares,
to a pretty wide range of destinations as far away as Bristol,
Cardiff, Norwich and Crewe (the last on LM trains only). The offer
runs for a month from Sat 26 June (tomorrow) until Sun 25 July.
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/oyster

The return fares are priced at the following levels: £5, £10, £15 or
£20. The journey is supposed to start from a London terminus station.

[snip]

What is most puzzling about this offer is that all the TOCs local to
London seem to be involved except just one - South Eastern. Why?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T June 28th 10 09:32 AM

Oyster (& Freedom Pass) Days Out of London by train offer

[x-posted to uk.railway]

On Jun 27, 11:54*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
[...]

Good point, although Southeastern destinations are not entirely absent
- Ashford, Hastings, St Leonards Warrior Square, then all the stations
from Ore to Appledore which are served by Southern but reached from
London via Southeastern and a change at Hastings or Ashford. (Oddly
Ham Street isn't in the list.)

UIVMM Southeastern was allowed an above inflation rise in their fares
this year (poss. a multi-year arrangement - I'm hazy on the details) -
this is unlike other TOCs, so maybe they somehow can't afford to take
part in the promotion.

Perhaps the more obvious explanation is that existence of
Southeastern's Highspeed service (via HS1) complicates matters somehow
- it can be used to reach many destinations (directly or indirectly)
on the Southeastern network, and for whatever reason SE are perhaps
unwilling to include the SE HS service in this promotion, perhaps for
fear of cannibalising 'normal' revenue or some such.

That said I'd very much think that SE could do with promoting their
Highspeed service to potential contra-peak flow leisure passengers
originating from London. So I'm minded to think that there's perhaps
some accounting reason why SE aren't really participating in this
offer... or maybe they've got something special of their own up their
sleeve for later on in the summer?

Who knows. (Not me, that's for sure!)