Old July 2nd 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Metropolitan Main Line Question

On 2 July, 02:42, TheOneKEA wrote:
On Jun 26, 6:07*pm, Andy wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:19*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:20*pm, Andy wrote:

On Jun 26, 6:21*pm, E27002 wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:08*am, RPM wrote:
. Chiltern services can only use the fast lines and unlike the fast Met
services they do not stop at Moor Park.

Is that a recent change? *ISTR that in earlier days, North of Harrow,
BR trains, for the most part, stopped at the same stations as
Metropolitan Line fasts.

Chiltern ceased calling at Moor Park around the time of privatisation,
in the mid 1990s. What I can't remember if it was before Chiltern were
privatised or a bit afterwards.

What was the logic behind that change? Obviously nowadays it makes
sense, as Chiltern are focussed on the longer distance passengers, but
back then the Chiltern line had rather less patronage. (Maybe it was
something to do with fares revenue allocation?)

I don't know the reason, but it may have been due to overcrowding of
the Chiltern services. I'm not sure how revenue is allocated between
LU and Chiltern, but it might also have been a consideration. The lack
of Chiltern trains does leave an annoying gap in the service heading
north.

ISTR reading once that it has to do with the OPO equipment on the fast
line platforms, and that said OPO equipment is not suitable for use
under Network Rail/ATOC driver regulations. As a result, Chiltern
trains don't stop and haven't since the 1990s, as mentioned.

Other than the fact that the Chiltern trains run under LU rules
between Mantles Wood and Harrow South Junction, the class 165s have
called at Moor Park, both when they were first introduced and also on
1st January this year (according the Underground New anyway). The
platforms are straight and the OPO equipment doesn't appear to be any
different at Moor Park than at other stops on where the units do call.

Old July 2nd 10, 08:47 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
RPM RPM is offline

On Jun 26, 7:20*pm, Andy wrote:

On Jun 26, 6:21*pm, E27002 wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:08*am, RPM wrote:
[...]

different at Moor Park than at other stops on where the units do call.- Hide quoted text -

Chiltern trains can call at Moor Park if required due to disruption,
engineering work etc. It doesn't happen very often but I have stopped
a train there once. There is a local rule that Chiltern trains must be
dispatched from Moor Park by a member of LU staff. I've no idea why
this is because, as has already been said, the platforms are straight
and the mirrors are perfectly adequate; but that's just the way it is.

RPM
Old July 4th 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jul 2, 9:47*pm, RPM wrote:
ISTR reading once that it has to do with the OPO equipment on the fast
line platforms, and that said OPO equipment is not suitable for use
under Network Rail/ATOC driver regulations. As a result, Chiltern
trains don't stop and haven't since the 1990s, as mentioned.

I agree with this but I can't back iu tp.

Notwthstanding out of course working, emergency services, and special
timetables cited upthread where special stops are made, I do think I
have read it is to do with LU OPO v. main line DOO working
differences.

It must always be remembered that what can be done for special cases
may not be practical 24/7/365.

319s have been in the channel tunnel on passenger trains. In special
cases. That does this a practical daily operation.

--
Nick
Old July 5th 10, 05:27 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

If you look on Google Earth you can see the crossover 'south' (more
like east!) of Harrow on the Hill. If you really zoom in you can just
about see that on the London side of it, the Chiltern tracks don't
have the 3rd & 4th rails.

I grew up in Chorleywood and can just about remember the Master Cutler
thundering through (it scared me), and having to wait at Rickmansworth
for an engine change to go to London. At that time there were coal
yards and I think a loop at Chorleywood but those got turned into a
car park, and the overbridge was eventually removed. However the line
was then electrified out to Amersham, the engine changes were no more,
the sidings were built at Rickmansworth (plus I think the bit of
bypass north of them), and I do remember having to be careful which
train I got on going to school as there was one in the morning that
was non-stop from Chorleywood to Marylebone.

When getting a train to London at the weekend I liked to get the
Marylebone service and get a seat right at the front, as usually the
driver didn't have the blinds down so you could see the track ahead.

I also remember when everything was frozen one winter (very late 60s
or early 70s I think) a pannier tank turning up from Neasden on points
de-icing duties. Some time later a diesel turned up and I stood in
the guard's compartment (as did lots of other people) for a very slow
journey to Chorleywood. I don't know how long it took as it was dark,
but it was certainly not the usual 4 minutes.