Old June 29th 10, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Disused railway tunnel under Regent Quarter, King's Cross

On the west side of Bravington Walk shown in purple on the map below,
one can look down a hole roughly the area of a car, into what appears
to be a disused railway tunnel. My guess is that this is the York Road
Curve between King's Cross York Road Station and the Metropolitan
Widened Lines to Farringdon - is this correct? Has this disused
railway always been visible here, or has it only been revealed
recently during redevelopment? I thought I had read about his tunnel
being used for gas pipes or other utilities, but I didn't see any
pipes in it.
http://www.regentquarter.com/offices_masterplan.html
Thanks, Dominic

Old June 29th 10, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dominic" wrote in message
On the west side of Bravington Walk shown in purple on the map below,
one can look down a hole roughly the area of a car, into what appears
to be a disused railway tunnel. My guess is that this is the York Road
Curve between King's Cross York Road Station and the Metropolitan
Widened Lines to Farringdon - is this correct? Has this disused
railway always been visible here, or has it only been revealed
recently during redevelopment? I thought I had read about his tunnel
being used for gas pipes or other utilities, but I didn't see any
pipes in it.
http://www.regentquarter.com/offices_masterplan.html
Thanks, Dominic

Definitely seems to be on the route of the York Rd curve.

Don't know if it has been visible previously, but the tunnel has been used
as an access route for various underground works associate with KX and the
new LU passageways, AIUI. The latest pictures here show the recent
condition:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k...ad/index.shtml

It is the Hotel Curve, the associated down route on the other side of the
mainline station, that has the gas main diverted through it.

Paul S

Old June 30th 10, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/06/2010 19:48, Paul Scott wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Some older street maps show a larger opening here but I never saw one on
my occasional journeys through the tunnel. Presumably the opening was
covered over at some date but has now been re-opened partially.

Peter Lawrence

Old July 1st 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 June, 19:02, Dominic wrote:
On the west side of Bravington Walk shown in purple on the map below,
one can look down a hole roughly the area of a car, into what appears
to be a disused railway tunnel. My guess is that this is the York Road
Curve between King's Cross York Road Station and the Metropolitan
Widened Lines to Farringdon - is this correct? Has this disused
railway always been visible here, or has it only been revealed
recently during redevelopment? I thought I had read about his tunnel
being used for gas pipes or other utilities, but I didn't see any
pipes in it.http://www.regentquarter.com/offices_masterplan.html
Thanks, Dominic

You can see the curved roof of the York Road tunnel in this picture
http://www.thebattens.me.uk/york%20road%20curve.jpg from MS Virtual
Earth. KX on the left and the Widened Line platforms on the lower
right. When traveling from Faringdon to St. P, immediately after
passing the western end of the platform you can see the exit from the
Curve.

MaxB