Old July 30th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

On 30 July, 10:04, David F wrote:
On 30 July, 09:51, wrote:

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just shoving
past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't there be
some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with these sorts of
idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal even when squashed
on the victoria line?

I had a similar person on the number 76 bus this morning. She seemed
unaware that she was wearing a massive camping backpack, and felt free
to spin around knocking all and sundry.

I too got some revenge as she tried to alight the bus ... a neat
little shoulder to the bag sent her on a pirouette on her way out.

In general I agree and would always take off a rucksack if I had one,.

But if it's a fairly small person, while they may be able to walk with
it, it's not necesarily that easy to pick it up and move it to a bench
to get it on again, so maybe they are thinking "it's on and I better
keep it on lest I can't get it off the train".

And anyway, people standing with rucksacks are nowhere near as much of
a menace as the people dragging handbags on poles through crowded
concourses and passageways. If anything's going to be banned, it
should be those.

Old July 30th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, MIG wrote:

On 30 July, 09:51, wrote:

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just shoving
past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't there be
some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with these sorts of
idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal even when squashed
on the victoria line?

In general I agree and would always take off a rucksack if I had one,.

But if it's a fairly small person, while they may be able to walk with
it, it's not necesarily that easy to pick it up and move it to a bench
to get it on again, so maybe they are thinking "it's on and I better
keep it on lest I can't get it off the train".

In that case, it's not something they should take on a train.

tom

--
sh(1) was the first MOO
Old July 31st 10, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 July, 19:21, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, MIG wrote:
On 30 July, 09:51, wrote:

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just shoving
past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't there be
some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with these sorts of
idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal even when squashed
on the victoria line?

In general I agree and would always take off a rucksack if I had one,.

But if it's a fairly small person, while they may be able to walk with
it, it's not necesarily that easy to pick it up and move it to a bench
to get it on again, so maybe they are thinking "it's on and I better
keep it on lest I can't get it off the train".

In that case, it's not something they should take on a train.

Because they can afford a taxi? Because they knew that the train was
going to be crowded and they wouldn't have a chance to balance it on a
seat to put it back on?

A better option might be to ask someone for help, but I am imagining a
situation where someone might be reluctant to take it off, not
excusing obstruction or carelessness.
Old August 2nd 10, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 July, 10:15, MIG wrote:

And anyway, people standing with rucksacks are nowhere near as much of
a menace as the people dragging handbags on poles through crowded
concourses and passageways. *If anything's going to be banned, it
should be those.

I am one of those people who travel to / from the various London
airports and use a wheely case. If it's even just a little busy in the
station, or on the footpath I drop the pole and pick it up. It's
heavy, to be honest, (it's carrying everything I need for a weekend,
plus my laptop and other office related paraphernalia) but it's better
to be a decent skin with a sore arm, than an awful prick.

D.