Old August 1st 10, 03:00 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Default How far from Olympic stadium to Wimbledon?

In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

Old August 1st 10, 03:46 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:00:07 on
Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Franklin
remarked:
In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

By train it's around 50 minutes, although there may be special
arrangements/disruptions during the actual Games themselves.
Old August 1st 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Franklin wrote on 01 August
2010 16:00:07 ...
In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

What do you mean by "the civic hall for the Wimbledon area"? Wimbledon
is in the London Borough of Merton, whose main headquarters is at the
Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX, near Morden Underground
station (Northern Line) and about 2 miles from Wimbledon.

Until 1965, Wimbledon was a borough with a town hall (built 1931) at the
corner of Queens Road and Wimbledon Bridge, near Wimbledon station. It
is no longer a council building; Google Street View shows a Tesco Metro
supermarket in the building.
--
Richard J.
Old August 2nd 10, 10:43 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Franklin wrote on 01 August
2010 16:00:07 ...
In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

What do you mean by "the civic hall for the Wimbledon area"? Wimbledon is
in the London Borough of Merton, whose main headquarters is at the Civic
Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX, near Morden Underground station
(Northern Line) and about 2 miles from Wimbledon.

Until 1965, Wimbledon was a borough with a town hall (built 1931) at the
corner of Queens Road and Wimbledon Bridge, near Wimbledon station. It is
no longer a council building; Google Street View shows a Tesco Metro
supermarket in the building.

I think that the old Wimbledon Town Hall was the Merton Council main offices
for a couple of decades after 1965.

It is now the frontage to the Centre Court shopping centre, accessible
directly from the railway station, opened some around 1988-90.

The new council offices in Morden used to be a supermarket (various names
ending as a Safeway) with an office block (Crown House) above it until at
least 1980. Can't remember when that all changed and the Safeway moved into
new premises built on the old Co-op department store, (which was what I can
only describe as the most sparsely occupied store this side of the Urals).

tim

Old August 2nd 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 16:00:07 +0100, Franklin
wrote:

In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

About several thousand miles too close

Old August 2nd 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On Aug 1, 9:19*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Franklin wrote on
01 August 2010 16:00:07 ...

In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. *I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

What do you mean by "the civic hall for the Wimbledon area"? *Wimbledon
is in the London Borough of Merton, whose main headquarters is at the
Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX, near Morden Underground
station (Northern Line) and about 2 miles from Wimbledon.

Thanks Richard - exactly the point I was going to make!

Until 1965, Wimbledon was a borough with a town hall (built 1931) at the
corner of Queens Road and Wimbledon Bridge, near Wimbledon station. *It
is no longer a council building; Google Street View shows a Tesco Metro
supermarket in the building.

The former Wimbledon Town Hall building is now part of the "Centre
Court" shopping centre, which has a Tesco Metro on the ground floor.
So, "Wimbledon Town Hall" doesn't really exist any more - at least,
it's not somewhere someone would going in connection with any civil
(i.e. council) activities, such as a meeting.

Until the construction of the shopping centre, it was indeed used as
the Town Hall for the London Borough of Merton, but the council's HQ
moved to Mitcham circa 1990 to make way for the new development in
Wimbledon.

There also used to be a Civic Hall in Wimbledon which was I think
behind the Town Hall building, but this got demolished as part of the
new development - promises were apparently made by the (then
Conservative) council that a new facility would be constructed in
Wimbledon, but that never happened - since then I understand there
have been various campaigns to get some sort of new local hall space
in Wimbledon, for example this page on the Wimbledon Choral Society's
website documents the push for a Wimbledon Arts Cent
http://www.wimbledon-choral.org.uk/library/lib-hall-campaign.html

Proponents of a "Big Society" might do well to bear in mind the need
for civic spaces in which societies, and indeed society, can flourish.
(I expect that if the OP is still reading this they're wondering what
I'm on about!)
Old August 2nd 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

wrote:
In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. *I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area. *

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

Depends on time of day, day of the week and the way you make the
journey.

There are loads of options for routes - assuming Stratford to Wimbledon.

Central Line to Mile End - District Line Mile End to Wimbledon. There is
cross platform interchange at Mile End so very simple and quick to make
the change.

Jubilee Line to West Ham - District Line West Ham to Wimbledon

Jubilee Line to Waterloo - South West Trains (from the main line
station) to Wimbledon

Jubilee Line to Westminster - District Line to Wimbledon

The interchange routes for the above three options are a bit longer and
more convoluted but are well signed.

Tube services are typically very frequent but slower.
The SWT service from Waterloo to Wimbledon is a tad less frequent than
the tube but is quick - especially if you get a semi-fast train.
[snip]

My reflex suggestion would be the Jubilee line from Stratford to
Waterloo, then South West Trains from Waterloo to Wimbledon option (as
Paul detailed above).

This route is dependent on the Jubilee line being in operation (it's
often closed at least in part during the weekends for upgrade works -
though those should be finished by this time next year - n.b. I said
'should'!). That said, each possible route is subject to the same
qualifier - there may be engineering works that could affect any of
the relevant lines.

The OP should note that "South West Trains" (SWT) is one of the
companies that provide mainline (suburban) passenger train services in
(and beyond) London - it's not part of the London Underground network
and hence it doesn't appear on the Tube maps. It does however appear
on the more comprehensive London Connections map he
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passen...onnections.pdf

Stratford is in the north east part of the map, square R3, and
Wimbledon is in the south west, square N5.

Don't be put off using the SWT service from Waterloo, provision of
information at stations is generally very good these days. Tickets
wise, you can use either a Travelcard (valid for zones 1-3) or an
Oyster card (a pay-as-you-go smartcard) on both the Underground and on
suburban rail services within London (note that a *Day* Travelcard is
not available for just zones 1-3, you'd need to buy the zones 1-4
variant) - these tickets can also be used on buses in London.

P.S. Engineering works info for the Underground is available here
(click on "This weekend" or "This date" to select a date up to a month
in the future):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html
Old August 2nd 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On 2010\08\01 16:00, Franklin wrote:
In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium. I'm
considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for the
journey?

It's too years away, dude, they might have invented teleport by then.
Old August 2nd 10, 02:41 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On 2010\08\02 15:39, Basil Jet wrote:

It's too years away,

Erm...
Old August 2nd 10, 02:55 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

I'd estimate between 50-60 mins to make the journey depending on which
route to take.

If you wish to play around with the options then the TfL Journey Planner
can help.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

HTH
--
Paul C

You haven't mentioned taking Thameslink to St Pancreas and the
"Javelin" ... (assuming it's during the Olympics).

Walthamstow Stadium Bus Garage Paul London Transport 6 February 24th 11 08:52 PM
New Tottenham Hotspur stadium.... Martin Petrov London Transport 2 October 28th 09 01:54 PM
Emirates Stadium & public transport Offramp London Transport 5 March 16th 08 03:24 PM
Old Wembley Stadium station CharlesPottins London Transport 0 May 12th 04 04:29 PM
Watford Stadium First Class Annual Travelcard Tom Cordiner London Transport 20 April 14th 04 05:45 PM