Old August 12th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metropolitan line - minor delays

Yesterday, I noticed the Metropolitan Line had minor delays due to
industrial action (inaction?) by train operator ASLEF members.

This follows another disputed day on 20 July 2010.

I found the following which help to explain the situation.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/16364.aspx and
http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/...drivers_indust
rial_action/

It seems that a passenger was injured by a closing Metropolitan Line
train door. LU investigated and stopped the "driver with a 33 year
unblemished record" from driving.
ASLEF says it had reported platform visibility concerns before the
incident.

I don't particularly care about who, but would like to know where and
when the incident happened and the weather conditions. I would also like
to know if the driver's income will be protected by something like TUPE.
Regardless of the rights and wrongs, I am impressed by LU management
following its judgement and by the support of Rickmansworth depot.

I am interested in the risk of serious disruption.
I assume it can get a lot worse once schools return.
Is there a list of depots with driver numbers and union affiliations?
--
Walter Briscoe

Old August 12th 10, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

... I would also like
to know if the driver's income will be protected by something like TUPE.

Can't help with the other points but TUPE is irrelevant. It is to do with
employment rights when a firm or organisation is transferred to a new owner,
to prevent the workforce being replaced by a new one.

The initials stand for something like 'Transfer of Undertaking - Protection
of Employment'.

Paul S

Old August 12th 10, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Thu, 12 Aug 2010
17:51:44 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott notvalidpmscott@btinternet.
com writes

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

... I would also like
to know if the driver's income will be protected by something like TUPE.

Can't help with the other points but TUPE is irrelevant. It is to do
with employment rights when a firm or organisation is transferred to a
new owner, to prevent the workforce being replaced by a new one.

The initials stand for something like 'Transfer of Undertaking -
Protection of Employment'.

I know what TUPE stands for and that it is inapplicable. That is why I
said "something like TUPE". A promoted teacher forcibly transferred to
another job would be income-protected for 3 years - I don't know the
restrictions on such income protection.

I wanted to know if similar protection will apply to the driver for whom
I have the utmost sympathy. I also have sympathy for LU which seems to
have judged the driver acted improperly. It is not impossible the
injured passenger also acted improperly. I am surprised not to find
anything relevant in the conditions of carriage.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old August 12th 10, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote on 12 August 2010
20:03:43 ...
In of Thu, 12 Aug 2010

"Walter wrote in message

[...]

So you have "utmost sympathy" for the driver, "sympathy" for LU, and
nothing for the injured passenger except a suspicion that it was his
fault. Your suspicion is so strong that it apparently merits a search
of the CoC for anything relevant. You seem to know more about this
incident than has been reported. Care to share it with us?
--
Richard J.