Old August 27th 10, 10:49 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Default BMT "Standards" front window?

On Aug 27, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
On 26/08/2010 21:57, Joseph D. Korman wrote:

wrote:
see photo:http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?113105

Did the BMT 'standard' car originally have two front windows? It
appears there is a frame opposite the motorman for a window but it is
blanked out.

Would anyone know accurately how this particular car type performed as
compared to the IND R-1/9 series? That is, mechanical reliability,
riding comfort, speed, etc?

If you were a passenger, which of the following car types would you
want to show up for your train? Why?

--IND R1-9
--BMT Standand
--BMT Triplex

I looked at a few historic photos in the Sansone book. It appears that
all of the BMT trains had railfan windows. As I recall, by the time I
became aware as a railfan, inside advertisements on the Standards and
Triplexes covered them.

I would have to say the Triplex - D types, mainly because the storm
doors had a very large window that could open and allow a very breezy
ride to Coney Island.

Sorry if this is a dupe, by news reader burped when I sent it the first
time. I'm not sure if it made it to the NG.

I guess the R-32s will be the last trains to have railfan windows? Truly
a shame.

What is that film that you find on newer rolling stock, which seems to
fragment everything?

Are there any railfan friendly cars on LU or DLR??

Old August 28th 10, 12:22 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

wrote on 27 August
2010 23:49:40 ...

wrote:
[...]

Not on LU, as all trains have full-width cabs front and rear which are
not accessible to passengers and with no windows between them and the
passenger areas.

But DLR is very railfan-friendly. There are no cabs, as the trains are
computer-controlled, so the passenger seating runs right up to the front
and rear of the train. Sometimes the on-board agent sits at a control
desk at the front, but even then he only takes up two seats of the four
at the front. This YouTube video show you what it's like (forward view
from about 4:00 onwards): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqsIRXLYt8
--
Richard J.

Old August 29th 10, 09:13 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

On Aug 28, 1:22*am, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote on 27 August
2010 23:49:40 ...

Are there any railfan friendly cars on LU or DLR??

Not on LU, as all trains have full-width cabs front and rear which are
not accessible to passengers and with no windows between them and the
passenger areas.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)- Hide quoted text -

I do seem to recall, when I used to commute on the Northern Line, that
the older trains had a small aperture in the door into the driver's
cab containing the emergency candle that had glass either side and you
could get a view forward by squinting through this. I did get rather
strange looks from other passengers as it appeared that I was looking
directly at a solid door. Sad, eh !!
Lawrie
Old August 29th 10, 11:32 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

On 29/08/2010 22:13, Lawrie Davidson wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:22 am, "Richard wrote:
wrote on 27 August
2010 23:49:40 ...

Are there any railfan friendly cars on LU or DLR??

Not on LU, as all trains have full-width cabs front and rear which are
not accessible to passengers and with no windows between them and the
passenger areas.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)- Hide quoted text -

I do seem to recall, when I used to commute on the Northern Line, that
the older trains had a small aperture in the door into the driver's
cab containing the emergency candle that had glass either side and you
could get a view forward by squinting through this. I did get rather
strange looks from other passengers as it appeared that I was looking
directly at a solid door. Sad, eh !!
Lawrie

That's happened to me a couple of times on the Central line. Sometimes
the peephole from the driver's cab would be missing, allowing you a
pretty decent front view.

Best not to make a habit of that, however.

The Lille Metro, has full viewing, which is great.