London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 16th 10, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default DLR + NR PAYG Fares

I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.

I hadn't had any reason to do it on PAYG till today, changing from DLR
at Greenwich* and ending at London Bridge, and now I look in the Fare
Finder, they all seem to be calculated that way with no alternatives.

I thought I was getting reasonably knowledgeable about Oyster-related
stuff, but I'd obviously missed that one.

Incidentally, the fare to London Bridge LU does have the option of a
combined LU + NR rate, but presumably you'd have to take DLR and LU to
Charing Cross and get the train back or something to get charged that
one.

*And I had no idea whether I was more likely to get an unstarted
journey at LB NR if I did or didn't touch while changing at Greenwich,
but hoped neither.

  #2   Report Post  
Old September 18th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 280
Default DLR + NR PAYG Fares

On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:
I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.


That doesn't seem to be generally the case.

The single fare finder prices Island Gardens to Deptford [National Rail]
as 1.40 peak 1.30 off-peak, so it seems to be pricing that as NR+LU --
LU only would be 1.30 at all times.

However, West India Quay to London Bridge [National Rail] for example
does appear to be priced as LU only. I wonder if it's significant that
this journey can also be made by DLR+tube. I guess it's just priced as
if you only use TfL services, regardless of whether you actually use NR
or not?

-roy
  #3   Report Post  
Old September 19th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default DLR + NR PAYG Fares

On 18 Sep, 16:53, Roy Badami wrote:
On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:

I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.


That doesn't seem to be generally the case.

The single fare finder prices Island Gardens to Deptford [National Rail]
as 1.40 peak 1.30 off-peak, so it seems to be pricing that as NR+LU --
LU only would be 1.30 at all times.

However, West India Quay to London Bridge [National Rail] for example
does appear to be priced as LU only. *I wonder if it's significant that
this journey can also be made by DLR+tube. *I guess it's just priced as
if you only use TfL services, regardless of whether you actually use NR
or not?


I wondered that, but there would normally be alternative fares shown.
If you put London Bridge (NR) as the destination, it specifically
offers only the LU fare. If you put London Bridge (LU) as the
destination, it offers alternatives.

Exiting the NR barrier at London Bridge, having previously touched
only to start the journey at a non-interchange DLR station, deducts
the LU fare.
  #4   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 10, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Default DLR + NR PAYG Fares

On 19 Sep, 12:48, MIG wrote:
On 18 Sep, 16:53, Roy Badami wrote:





On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:


I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.


That doesn't seem to be generally the case.


The single fare finder prices Island Gardens to Deptford [National Rail]
as 1.40 peak 1.30 off-peak, so it seems to be pricing that as NR+LU --
LU only would be 1.30 at all times.


However, West India Quay to London Bridge [National Rail] for example
does appear to be priced as LU only. *I wonder if it's significant that
this journey can also be made by DLR+tube. *I guess it's just priced as
if you only use TfL services, regardless of whether you actually use NR
or not?


I wondered that, but there would normally be alternative fares shown.
If you put London Bridge (NR) as the destination, it specifically
offers only the LU fare. *If you put London Bridge (LU) as the
destination, it offers alternatives.

Exiting the NR barrier at London Bridge, having previously touched
only to start the journey at a non-interchange DLR station, deducts
the LU fare.


I think the reason journeys to London Bridge are charged at the TfL
rate is because it is possible to complete the journey using entirely
TfL-rated services (i.e. using the Thameslink from somewhere like
Farringdon). Even though this is not necessarily the most direct route
the system might not have any way of knowing which way you went.
  #5   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default DLR + NR PAYG Fares

On 23 Sep, 16:10, Steve wrote:
On 19 Sep, 12:48, MIG wrote:





On 18 Sep, 16:53, Roy Badami wrote:


On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:


I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.


That doesn't seem to be generally the case.


The single fare finder prices Island Gardens to Deptford [National Rail]
as 1.40 peak 1.30 off-peak, so it seems to be pricing that as NR+LU --
LU only would be 1.30 at all times.


However, West India Quay to London Bridge [National Rail] for example
does appear to be priced as LU only. *I wonder if it's significant that
this journey can also be made by DLR+tube. *I guess it's just priced as
if you only use TfL services, regardless of whether you actually use NR
or not?


I wondered that, but there would normally be alternative fares shown.
If you put London Bridge (NR) as the destination, it specifically
offers only the LU fare. *If you put London Bridge (LU) as the
destination, it offers alternatives.


Exiting the NR barrier at London Bridge, having previously touched
only to start the journey at a non-interchange DLR station, deducts
the LU fare.


I think the reason journeys to London Bridge are charged at the TfL
rate is because it is possible to complete the journey using entirely
TfL-rated services (i.e. using the Thameslink from somewhere like
Farringdon). Even though this is not necessarily the most direct route
the system might not have any way of knowing which way you went.


Hmm. Interesting possibility that I hadn't thought of. Just a
historical anomaly affecting London Bridge if so.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full 2011 fares now on the TfL website (inc. NR PAYG fares) Mizter T London Transport 6 December 9th 10 09:29 PM
Railcard PAYG NR single fares martin London Transport 5 April 11th 10 11:28 AM
Railcard PAYG NR single fares martin London Transport 1 March 12th 10 04:49 PM
Oyster PAYG and differential bus fares Mizter T London Transport 19 January 30th 08 12:58 AM
Vital clue in the Watford Jn Oyster PAYG fares mystery... Mizter T London Transport 7 November 13th 07 11:23 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017