Old September 16th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default DLR + NR PAYG Fares

I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.

I hadn't had any reason to do it on PAYG till today, changing from DLR
at Greenwich* and ending at London Bridge, and now I look in the Fare
Finder, they all seem to be calculated that way with no alternatives.

I thought I was getting reasonably knowledgeable about Oyster-related
stuff, but I'd obviously missed that one.

Incidentally, the fare to London Bridge LU does have the option of a
combined LU + NR rate, but presumably you'd have to take DLR and LU to
Charing Cross and get the train back or something to get charged that
one.

*And I had no idea whether I was more likely to get an unstarted
journey at LB NR if I did or didn't touch while changing at Greenwich,
but hoped neither.

Old September 18th 10, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:
I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.

That doesn't seem to be generally the case.

The single fare finder prices Island Gardens to Deptford [National Rail]
as 1.40 peak 1.30 off-peak, so it seems to be pricing that as NR+LU --
LU only would be 1.30 at all times.

However, West India Quay to London Bridge [National Rail] for example
does appear to be priced as LU only. I wonder if it's significant that
this journey can also be made by DLR+tube. I guess it's just priced as
if you only use TfL services, regardless of whether you actually use NR
or not?

-roy
Old September 19th 10, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 18 Sep, 16:53, Roy Badami wrote:
On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:

I was a bit surprised to find that combined DLR + NR PAYG prices seem
to be the same as for LU only, rather than as for NR only or as for LU
+ NR.

That doesn't seem to be generally the case.

The single fare finder prices Island Gardens to Deptford [National Rail]
as 1.40 peak 1.30 off-peak, so it seems to be pricing that as NR+LU --
LU only would be 1.30 at all times.

However, West India Quay to London Bridge [National Rail] for example
does appear to be priced as LU only. *I wonder if it's significant that
this journey can also be made by DLR+tube. *I guess it's just priced as
if you only use TfL services, regardless of whether you actually use NR
or not?

I wondered that, but there would normally be alternative fares shown.
If you put London Bridge (NR) as the destination, it specifically
offers only the LU fare. If you put London Bridge (LU) as the
destination, it offers alternatives.

Exiting the NR barrier at London Bridge, having previously touched
only to start the journey at a non-interchange DLR station, deducts
the LU fare.
Old September 23rd 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:

[...]

I think the reason journeys to London Bridge are charged at the TfL
rate is because it is possible to complete the journey using entirely
TfL-rated services (i.e. using the Thameslink from somewhere like
Farringdon). Even though this is not necessarily the most direct route
the system might not have any way of knowing which way you went.
Old September 23rd 10, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 16/09/10 11:48, MIG wrote:

[...]

Hmm. Interesting possibility that I hadn't thought of. Just a
historical anomaly affecting London Bridge if so.