Old September 30th 10, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Two Stockwell oddities

Two unusual things about Stockwell.
1 The stairs at the headwall of the northbound Northern Line are Keep
Right. Most stairways I know on the Underground are Keep Left.
2 Most unpaired, single escalators I kmow run upwards. Those at
Stockwell always go downwards

Old September 30th 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
s.com of Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:37:36 in uk.transport.london, Offramp
writes
Two unusual things about Stockwell.
1 The stairs at the headwall of the northbound Northern Line are Keep
Right. Most stairways I know on the Underground are Keep Left.

AFAIR, at Baker Street, the stairs from the Metropolitan platforms (1-4)
to the Metropolitan ticket hall are "Keep Right". I've never been able
to make sense of this instruction as they have central handrails. So, do
they mean keep right of the handrail (giving 2 paths) or are there 2 up
and 2 down paths? The member of staff, I once asked, did not know.

2 Most unpaired, single escalators I kmow run upwards. Those at
Stockwell always go downwards

I thought there is a similar example to the southbound Northern line at
Embankment, but http://www.directenquiries.com/Base.aspx?company=Embank
ment&companyid=74275&action=stationplanroute contradicts me.

Thanks for giving me something to look for on my peregrinations.
If you wanted a list, a Freedom of Information Act enquiry might amuse.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old October 1st 10, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote on 30 September 2010
21:16:45 ...
In
s.com of Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:37:36 in uk.transport.london, Offramp
writes
Two unusual things about Stockwell.
1 The stairs at the headwall of the northbound Northern Line are Keep
Right. Most stairways I know on the Underground are Keep Left.

AFAIR, at Baker Street, the stairs from the Metropolitan platforms (1-4)
to the Metropolitan ticket hall are "Keep Right". I've never been able
to make sense of this instruction as they have central handrails. So, do
they mean keep right of the handrail (giving 2 paths) or are there 2 up
and 2 down paths? The member of staff, I once asked, did not know.

I assumne it means keep right of the handrail, but the signage could be
be made clearer. It's presumably done in order because the exit gates
are towards the right-hand end of the gate line.

2 Most unpaired, single escalators I kmow run upwards. Those at
Stockwell always go downwards

I thought there is a similar example to the southbound Northern line at
Embankment, buthttp://www.directenquiries.com/Base.aspx?company=Embank
ment&companyid=74275&action=stationplanroute contradicts me.

There is certainly a single escalator down to the Bakerloo at Embankment
which I used last week.
--
Richard J.
Old October 1st 10, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010-09-30 21:16:45 +0100, Walter Briscoe said:

In message
s.com of Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:37:36 in uk.transport.london, Offramp
writes
Two unusual things about Stockwell.
1 The stairs at the headwall of the northbound Northern Line are Keep
Right. Most stairways I know on the Underground are Keep Left.

AFAIR, at Baker Street, the stairs from the Metropolitan platforms (1-4)
to the Metropolitan ticket hall are "Keep Right". I've never been able
to make sense of this instruction as they have central handrails. So, do
they mean keep right of the handrail (giving 2 paths) or are there 2 up
and 2 down paths? The member of staff, I once asked, did not know.

The stairway and corridor from the low-numbers platforms at Liverpool
St. to the Central Line ticket office are marked Keep Right at one end
and Keep Left at the other.

Now that really is confusing.