London Banter

-   -   ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11363-abbey-1234-020-7222-1234-a.html)

Q October 29th 10 10:39 PM

ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
00:33:14 on Tue, 26 Oct 2010, MIG remarked:

It leaves the question: why would it cost the mobile company more to
connect to one of these numbers than to connect to any other number?

It doesn't necessarily[1]. Phone calls are not priced on a cost-plus
basis.

[1] Although it probably does cost the mobile phone company more to carry
the call from a handset to the interconnection point, than it would cost
many landline operators. If "cost" takes everything into account.

You may find there is an 020 0 or 020 1 number luring behind the new 0843
one. At some point I may investigate it. Train tracker (national rail) hides
behind such numbers.

For the time being no more finding out if the trains are running till I
either get to the station, or can get a usable 3G signal and connection on
my phone at the LST end.

I had email correspondence with TfL about getting rid of the 020 7 number
and it came down to;

1 a new phone system at there end
2 a new phone provider there end
3 better way to manage the call flows and traffic
4 not being tied into a 020 7 number which generally terminated on the
'correct' exchange.

NGN numbers can be re-pointed and moved about with little effort - its much
harder to move a geo number.

Theo Markettos October 29th 10 11:51 PM

In uk.transport.london Q ..@.. wrote:
NGN numbers can be re-pointed and moved about with little effort - its much
harder to move a geo number.

Not really... port it to VOIP and it's easy. Plus if they really needed an
NGN there's the whole 03... range which is covered as if it were a geo
number by everyone's inclusive packages. Only they don't get revenue share
on 03.

Theo

PhilD October 30th 10 09:58 PM

On Oct 29, 10:39*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
You may find there is an 020 0 or 020 1 number luring behind the new 0843
one. At some point I may investigate it. Train tracker (national rail) hides
behind such numbers.

saynoto0870.com says the number goes to 020 7222 5600 (I haven't
tested it to see!).

PhilD

[email protected] October 31st 10 03:54 PM

ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more

In article
,
(PhilD) wrote:

On Oct 29, 10:39*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
You may find there is an 020 0 or 020 1 number luring behind the new
0843 one. At some point I may investigate it. Train tracker (national
rail) hides behind such numbers.

saynoto0870.com says the number goes to 020 7222 5600 (I haven't
tested it to see!).

That's the main switchboard number at 55 Broadway, isn't it? I wouldn't
expect it to get one through to the travel information service.

They have been blocking 020 alternatives. There used to be one for the
Oyster Helpline on o202 7227 7886 but it's been unobtainable for some time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] November 1st 10 09:45 PM

ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more

In message
,
Mizter T wrote:
Except that wouldn't have resulted in any revenue, whilst with the
0843 number, TfL gets a cut of the monies.

Does anyone know if they get a bigger cut of the bigger fees charged
to mobiles for those numbers? *I've never understood the logic behind
that.

I think the 'termination fee' (that is, the fee paid to the final
telco, which in this instance it then shares with the called party) is
the same regardless of where the call originates from (so the rest is
kept by the mobile service provider) - so from a mobile users
perspective it's a mighty expensive way for TfL to collect a few
pennies for the call.

No. 0843 numbers are covered by the "NTS" regime. With these, the
originating operator gets to charge a fee which is fixed by Ofcom, and
then hands the rest over to the terminating operator. The size of the
originating fee depends on where the call is handed over (and,
therefore, how much of the originating operator's network is used).
There are extra charges if number portability or a transit network is
involved.

In essence the terminating operator buys "origination" as a service at a
controlled price.

BT buy and sell origination under schedule 211 of the SIA
http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/dow...port/contractu
al_information/docs/nsia/nsch211.rtf. For calls to BT, handover is to
be as close to the originating point as practical.

0843 222 isn't a BT range, but BT's termination fees for NTS services
can be seen at:
http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/dow...port/pricing_i
nformation/carrier_price_list_browsable/B1_06.xls
and
http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/dow...port/pricing_i
nformation/carrier_price_list_browsable/B1_06a.xls
In effect, BT are saying "we'll pay you an origination fee of what you
charge the customer minus this number".

Other terminating operators will have their own prices.

[Disclaimer: this hasn't been part of my job for two or three years now,
so I don't guarantee its accuracy.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

PhoneNumbersStore August 25th 21 10:12 AM

ABBey 1234 Update

ABBey 1234 aka 020 7222 1234 has been acquired by www.phonenumbers.store and is is now dialable again. When you call the number, it provides a short history of the number. We suggest that you give it a call and hope that you enjoy this.