Old November 14th 10, 02:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kinky Adventure with Oyster

On Nov 14, 1:47*am, Barry Salter wrote:
On 11/11/2010 23:01, Mizter T wrote:

Basically, an OEP kinda makes your Travelcard on Oyster prostitute
itself as if it were a mere PAYG card (...ok, I've gone too far now! You
started it though ;-).

An OEP effectively turns your Oyster into a PAYG one until such time as
the OEP is cleared, albeit one that credits the entry charge back if you
stay within your zones.

So, for example, here's the (online) version of the last journey I
undertook using an OEP:

02/10/10 13:52 Bus * * * * * * * * * * * *PAYG enabled 0.00 9.80 [1]
02/10/10 13:56 Marylebone [National Rail] Entry * * * - 3.30 6.50 [2]
02/10/10 14:17 South Ruislip * * * * * * *Exit * * * * 2.00 8.50 [3]
02/10/10 14:18 South Ruislip * * * * * * *Exit * * * * 0.00 8.50 [4]

[1] Not sure where the "Bus" bit comes from, given I set the OEP on one
of the Shere Self-Service Ticket Machines at Marylebone.

[2] I've got an Annual 1 to 4 Travelcard and Gold Card discount loaded
onto said Oyster, but I can't work out why this is 3.30 instead of the
usual 4.20.

[3] Validator in subway

[4] Ticket gates

Cheers,

Barry

1) defaults to "bus" if no info programmed for machine location - not
great but there you go
2) the Off-Peak entry charge for non-discounted Oyster cards with
valid Travelcards being touched outside zone(s) or inside zones with
OEP enabled is £3.40. Discounted to £3.30 for railcard discounted
cards to take account of charging anomalies that could otherwise arise
on a small number of journeys.

Old November 27th 10, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 11, 11:01*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:51 pm, MIG wrote:

On Nov 11, 9:33 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:

"MIG" wrote:
Yesterday, I set and used an OEP for the first time.

I still feel kind of dirty. No one could have known, but I felt as if
they were all looking at me.

;-)

Just don't set it then forget about it, because if you're off to that
mystery land yonder zone 6 armed with a Travelcard plus Boundary Zone
extension, as well as the potential for a battle with the likes of the
bearded red-coated ones you'll also find yourself down a PAYG 'entry
fee' on
your credit.

Still, I'd like to have that confrontation with some SWT RPIs over my
missing OEP when the facility to obtain an OEP is helpfully unavailable
from
SWT stations, but I rather suspect it's never going to happen!

Well, perhaps on principle I wouldn't set one on the grounds that they
are silly, but I had to go to the machine to check my credit anyway,
so it only took a few more seconds to set.

Ni implied criticism - you've got to try it once after all. And like you
say, once you've tried it once, then you can see how easy it is to do, at
least in certain situations - in other positions however its rather harder,
bordering on the impossible even...

An observation: the NR barriers at London Bridge (within the
travelcard zones) normally display nothing on entry if there's a
travelcard on it, or maybe warn if it's close to expiring, but the OEP
triggers them to display the PAYG balance.

Interesting observation - here's another - if the card is associated with an
online account, then it also makes all the journeys appear in the online
journey history (normally it's only the PAYG chargeable ones, those covered
entirely by a Travelcard are absent).

Basically, an OEP kinda makes your Travelcard on Oyster prostitute itself as
if it were a mere PAYG card (...ok, I've gone too far now! You started it
though ;-).

A slightly dull follow-up to this about displays.

(Background: down ower way, most stations are zone 2 or zone 3. If
I'm on an outboundary season or PAYG, I'll use them willy-nilly, but
I'll often get a zone 1 - 2 season and maybe walk or bus a bit further
as necessary.)

With a zone 1 - 2 season on Oyster, and no need for OEP, I touched in
at Catford (zone 3) and expected to see my PAYG balance, but instead
it informed me that my season, not valid there, was near to expiring.
Nor did it tell me on touching out in zone 1 anything about the PAYG
element of my journey (although I was evidently deducted £1.40
correctly).