Old December 12th 03, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Black cabs

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes
In article , Mike Hughes
writes

Personally if I see a blind person I always give them preference over
other potential passengers, and will often waive the fare.

Remind me to bring my mate Matthew to Brighton with me next week. A
free trip home to High Wycombe in your taxi will be so much nicer for
us than waiting for the train and having to pay for a ticket.......
:-))))))

LOL

Have a look again at my posting. I said that I will *often* waive the
fare. That doesn't mean *always*. It all depends on the circumstances
[1] - and the final destination! [2]

[1] There are cases where blind persons get their taxi fares paid for
them and they would not therefore be out of pocket.

[2] I can't afford to do along ride for free - but I would give serious
consideration to giving them a discount on the normal fare.

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
A *licensed* Brighton (and soon to be London) Taxi driver

Old December 12th 03, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Mike Hughes
writes

[2] I can't afford to do along ride for free - but I would give serious
consideration to giving them a discount on the normal fare.

How about a fiver then - would that do?? :-))))))
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old December 12th 03, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:46:39 +0000, Kat
wrote:

[snip]

And yes, I did take the guy's number but I'm not sure if I ought to do
anything about it or not.

I would report him. Horrible little man.

--
Michelle Lee (U.K)
Old December 13th 03, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes
In article , Mike Hughes
writes

[2] I can't afford to do along ride for free - but I would give
serious consideration to giving them a discount on the normal fare.

How about a fiver then - would that do?? :-))))))

Certainly - as long as you add the other 200 to it :-))

--
Mike Hughes
A *licensed* Brighton Taxi driver

Old December 13th 03, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat" wrote in message
Simple question!
Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?
TIA

=======================================
My husband who is a London Taxi Driver drove a partially sighted disabled
woman to a housing estate on the Essex road Islington,he assisted the lady
to her door & when he returned he was set upon by six hooded youths who had
just broken into his cab,they kicked him
"in the head so violently that he suffered a stroke & has not worked since &
we have a young family, that was almost three years ago.the advice that we
recieved from the "Met" was "never leave your vehicle if you feel your
personal safety is at risk" I think that a taxi driver has every right to
insist that a disabled person has some sort of assistance,they are not
ambulance drivers & they have no training nor are they insured if anything
should go wrong.

Zara Henderson
=======================================

Old December 13th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Zara Henderson
writes
Kat" wrote in message
[...]

I'm really sorry about what happened to your husband but in this
particular case the second taxi driver I spoke to agreed to take them so
he obviously had no such concerns.
I meet blind people travelling on the underground almost every day; many
of them need no assistance at all.
--
Kat Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.

Old December 13th 03, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Michelle Lee
writes
wrote:

[snip]

And yes, I did take the guy's number but I'm not sure if I ought to do
anything about it or not.

I would report him. Horrible little man.

For various reasons, I'm still debating this...
--
Kat Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.

Old December 14th 03, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Zara Henderson" Zara@Henderson wrote in message

=======================================
My husband who is a London Taxi Driver drove a partially
sighted disabled woman to a housing estate on the Essex
road Islington,he assisted the lady to her door & when he
returned he was set upon by six hooded youths who had
just broken into his cab,they kicked him "in the head so
violently that he suffered a stroke & has not worked since
& we have a young family, that was almost three years
ago.the advice that we recieved from the "Met" was
"never leave your vehicle if you feel your personal safety
is at risk"

Looks like the Met are as good at giving advice as they are at solving
crimes... after all, when a taxi driver has taken a wheelchair-bound
passenger to their destination, getting out of the vehicle is necessary in
order to use the ramps.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped