Old December 14th 03, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route into London.

I am planning to come into London to approximately Clapham/Wandsworth,
which I hope to be approaching from the M40. I have a recent A to Z so
if anyone could give me some routing advice I'd be grateful. Thank
you.
--
Clive

Old December 14th 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

"Clive" wrote in message
I am planning to come into London to approximately Clapham/Wandsworth,
which I hope to be approaching from the M40. I have a recent A to Z so
if anyone could give me some routing advice I'd be grateful. Thank
you.

Get the Train

--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Train Information, The Latest News & Best photos around check out the

Old December 14th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
I am planning to come into London to approximately Clapham/Wandsworth,
which I hope to be approaching from the M40. I have a recent A to Z
so if anyone could give me some routing advice I'd be grateful.
Thank you.

The most straightforward route is M40, continuing on A40 to White City,
then south on A3220 (the first part may be shown as M41 on old maps)
through Earl's Court to Battersea Bridge. However, it depends what day of
the week and what time you are planning to make the journey.
--
Richard J.

Old December 14th 03, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes

The most straightforward route is M40, continuing on A40 to White City,
then south on A3220 (the first part may be shown as M41 on old maps)
through Earl's Court to Battersea Bridge. However, it depends what day
of the week and what time you are planning to make the journey.
--
Richard J.

Thank you for the advice, it should be on Wednesday about tea time, I
know this is the wrong time of day to get to the capital but I am coming
from West Cumbria and am assuming about 9 to 10 hours drive.
--
Clive
Old December 14th 03, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive
writes

In message , Richard
J. writes

The most straightforward route is M40, continuing on A40 to White
City, then south on A3220 (the first part may be shown as M41 on old
maps) through Earl's Court to Battersea Bridge. However, it depends
what day of the week and what time you are planning to make the journey.

Thank you for the advice, it should be on Wednesday about tea time, I
know this is the wrong time of day to get to the capital but I am
coming from West Cumbria and am assuming about 9 to 10 hours drive.

At this time of year, and at that time of day, almost any route could be
grim. From the M40 you could consider taking the M25 and then coming
into London on the M4/A4 to Earls Court and then Battersea Bridge. It
avoids likely hold ups in Shepherd's Bush and West Kensington. The short
stretch of southbound M25 is normally OK, but there is a risk of a
(usually brief) delay at the end of the M4.

Another alternative is to turn off the A40 at Hangar Lane and take the
North Circular down to the A4. Possibly slow on the last bit down to
Chiswick roundabout. Don't at any cost attempt Chiswick - Wandsworth on
the South Circular: it can take hours at that time of day.

--
Paul Terry

Old December 14th 03, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

Don't at any cost attempt Chiswick - Wandsworth on
the South Circular: it can take hours at that time of day.

Given that the South Circular in that segment is nothing more than a few
signposts I wouldn't try it at almost any time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 14th 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nes Nes is offline

Can't really argue with that route. But that stretch thru the Earl's Court
one-way system right across Batetrsea Bridge and to Batteresea Park Road is
a nightmare. Why not try taking a right into King's Road (A308) from the
A3220 Edith Grove, then taking the A217 Wandsworth Bridge Road and across
Wandsworth Bridge - it depends on where in Wandsworth you need.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Nes
--
To reply directly to me, please remove all the spam-deflecting X's!
Either that, or simply reply to the group!

Old December 14th 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
I am planning to come into London to approximately Clapham/Wandsworth,
which I hope to be approaching from the M40. I have a recent A to Z so
if anyone could give me some routing advice I'd be grateful. Thank
you.

My inclination would be to leave the M40 at J4 and take the A404 down to
Maidenhead, then continue via the M404? and the A330/A3095 to Bracknell,
then the A322 to join the M3 at J3. Go to the M25 J12 and use the M25 to J10
and from there take the A3 towards London.

Most of the time you will be going against the traffic, and will avoid the
worst bit of the M25.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org