Old December 15th 03, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercard - not quite as useful as we were led to believe

It seems that now LU have decided that you can't just put a random amount
of journeys onto the Oystercard that replaced your travelcard. I wanted to
just add 3 days onto it instead of a week but the ticket bloke said that
they'd been told not to do this by LU and he'd got into trouble for doing it
for someone else.

So someone please tell me , apart from being able to go through the gates
ever so slightly quicker , what use are these things exactly?

(There was me thinking they'd be more flexible than paper tickets , duh! I
should've factored LU management into the equation.)

B2003

Old December 15th 03, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

It seems that now LU have decided that you can't just put a random amount
of journeys onto the Oystercard that replaced your travelcard. I wanted to
just add 3 days onto it instead of a week but the ticket bloke said that
they'd been told not to do this by LU and he'd got into trouble for doing

it
for someone else.

So someone please tell me , apart from being able to go through the gates
ever so slightly quicker , what use are these things exactly?

(There was me thinking they'd be more flexible than paper tickets , duh!

From Janurary 2004 pre-pay is supposed to be launched, which will enable you
to put money on your Oyster and have it deducted as and when you travel. You
could put enough money on it for 3 days worth of single or return journeys
at the start of the week and not having to worry about buying a ticket for
the rest of the week. However, as has been stated in several other threads
"capping" will not be introduced until March 2004 at the earliest, so if you
require a LT card or 1 day off peak travelcard, prepay is of no real benifit
(unless you want to buy these tickets from the larger machines, rather than
having to faff about with cash each day).

I should've factored LU management into the equation.)

It's actually down to the private contractors unable to meet the target
dates.

Old December 15th 03, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message
.. .

It's actually down to the private contractors unable to meet the target
dates.

Or to look at it another way LU launching a system that wasn't ready and
setting unobtainable target dates for Pre-Pay.

Dave

Old December 15th 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:01:13 -0000, "Dave Liney"
wrote:

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message
. ..

It's actually down to the private contractors unable to meet the target
dates.

Or to look at it another way LU launching a system that wasn't ready and
setting unobtainable target dates for Pre-Pay.

Err, no.

Transys were required to have a working system some 15 months ago.
They haven't done this.

New target dates have been set.

Oyster is being provided under a PFI. You remember them? That's when
super-whizzo private sector management delivers a project on time and
on budget....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Old December 15th 03, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Liney" wrote in message

Or to look at it another way LU launching a system that wasn't ready and
setting unobtainable target dates for Pre-Pay.

Or:

Private company doesn't meet key milestones in a project managed by
themselves, despite assuring customer that milestones would be met and
product would be ready for launch?

No, that'd be attributating blame where it's due wouldn't it. Far better
just to bash LUL. You're not an Evening Standard journalist perchance, are
you?

Old December 15th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin Mayes wrote:

Private company doesn't meet key milestones in a project managed by
themselves, despite assuring customer that milestones would be met and
product would be ready for launch?

No, that'd be attributating blame where it's due wouldn't it. Far better
just to bash LUL. You're not an Evening Standard journalist perchance, are
you?

Evening "we've got standards, and we refuse to rise above them"?

Niklas
--
"How's your metallurgy?"
"Rusty."
Old December 16th 03, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

It seems that now LU have decided that you can't just put a random amount
of journeys onto the Oystercard that replaced your travelcard. I wanted to
just add 3 days onto it instead of a week but the ticket bloke said that
they'd been told not to do this by LU and he'd got into trouble for doing

it
for someone else.

So someone please tell me , apart from being able to go through the gates
ever so slightly quicker , what use are these things exactly?

(There was me thinking they'd be more flexible than paper tickets , duh!

From Janurary 2004 pre-pay is supposed to be launched, which will enable you
to put money on your Oyster and have it deducted as and when you travel. You
could put enough money on it for 3 days worth of single or return journeys
at the start of the week and not having to worry about buying a ticket for
the rest of the week. However, as has been stated in several other threads

But I don't want X pre-paid fares on my oyster. I want X days unlimited use
as per weekly /monthly travelcard unlimited use.

B2003
Old December 16th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Neil Williams) wrote in
:

I think the "killer app" is pre-pay and direct debit. For any other
kind of ticket, the benefits are very minor.

The killer app is *huge* wads of cash being loaned interest free to LUL at
anyone time.

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.
Old December 16th 03, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

But I don't want X pre-paid fares on my oyster. I want X days unlimited

use
as per weekly /monthly travelcard unlimited use.

Yes, I know, but the contractor is unable to deliver!