Old December 15th 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Lea Bridge station reopening - meeting this Wednesday

Hi all,

Room 6, Waltham Forest Town Hall, Forest Road, Walthamstow
7:30pm, Wednesday 17 December 2003.

A public meeting to discuss the proposed re-opening of Lea Bridge station,
and how this might help with the bid for the 2012 Olympics.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 16th 03, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Room 6, Waltham Forest Town Hall, Forest Road, Walthamstow
7:30pm, Wednesday 17 December 2003.

A public meeting to discuss the proposed re-opening of Lea Bridge station,
and how this might help with the bid for the 2012 Olympics.

please let us all know how this meeting goes.

sometimes i am surprised lea bridge station ever shut in the first place.

trevor
Old December 16th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"87015" wrote in message
om...

sometimes i am surprised lea bridge station ever shut in the first place.

The only passenger trains booked to pass the site of Lea Bridge station are
the 0817 Cheshunt to Stratford and 1748 return.

Peter

Old December 18th 03, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:35:07 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Room 6, Waltham Forest Town Hall, Forest Road, Walthamstow
7:30pm, Wednesday 17 December 2003.

A public meeting to discuss the proposed re-opening of Lea Bridge station,
and how this might help with the bid for the 2012 Olympics.

Anything to report back?

Cheers,

Jason.
Old December 22nd 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jason" wrote in message

Anything to report back?

The meeting was poorly organised, and several people (such as councillors)
who promised to turn up didn't. The assembled mass didn't seem to be clear
about exactly what they wanted (except they all wanted something they hadn't
currently got). The council support the idea of the station, so the group
didn't have anyone to oppose, except the treasury. Stratford City,
Chelsfield's £3billion development plan, was mentioned. Someone suggested
that one of the water channels in the Lea Valley should have A-frames put
over it and some sort of transport put on that. (I refrained from mentioning
the Wuppertaler Schwebebahn, and I also refrained from calling him bonkers -
why create expensive to build and expensive to mantain transport in a green
space?).

The most useful comment was that the DLR was the best chance of geting a
rail service at Lea Bridge, since the DLR have a habit of getting extensions
built while the national railway just talks.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 23rd 03, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , Peter Masson
writes

"87015" wrote in message
. com...

sometimes i am surprised lea bridge station ever shut in the first place.

The only passenger trains booked to pass the site of Lea Bridge station are
the 0817 Cheshunt to Stratford and 1748 return.

Peter

Pretty negligible service if when it was open.
If I recall at time of closure it was a peak-hour Stratford Low Level to
Tottenham Hale DMU My records show closure was 5th July 1985
One wonders if it does reopen, will the TOC presumably it will be First
Anglia or what it is going to call itself, will provide - maybe some
local trains via Tottenham Hale will run via Stratford to Liverpool
Street.

--
Alan Osborn
Old December 24th 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Alan Osborn" wrote in message
In article , Peter Masson
writes

"87015" wrote in message
. com...

sometimes i am surprised lea bridge station ever shut in the first

place.

The only passenger trains booked to pass the site of Lea Bridge station

are
the 0817 Cheshunt to Stratford and 1748 return.

Peter

Pretty negligible service if when it was open.
If I recall at time of closure it was a peak-hour Stratford Low Level to
Tottenham Hale DMU My records show closure was 5th July 1985
One wonders if it does reopen, will the TOC presumably it will be First
Anglia or what it is going to call itself, will provide - maybe some
local trains via Tottenham Hale will run via Stratford to Liverpool
Street.

I think one idea is to divert North London Line trains to Stratford High
Level then Lea Bridge and Tottenham Hale once the DLR has taken over the
North Woolwich branch.

Peter Smyth

Old December 24th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Alan Osborn" wrote in message

Pretty negligible service if when it was open.
If I recall at time of closure it was a peak-hour Stratford Low Level to
Tottenham Hale DMU My records show closure was 5th July 1985
One wonders if it does reopen, will the TOC presumably it will be First
Anglia or what it is going to call itself, will provide - maybe some
local trains via Tottenham Hale will run via Stratford to Liverpool
Street.

It would make sense to provide a service from the Lea Valley line to
Stratford, as the gateway to Docklands, and, from 2007. for connection to
Stratford International.
ISTR that, after Lea Bridge closed, there was a year or two when the Lea
Valley local service ran to Stratford instead of Liverpool Street,
presumably because of Liv St rebuilding/resignalling. Instead of actually
reversing at Stratford they did the round tour (in direct and out via
Channelsea or vv).
Peter

Old December 24th 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:50:56 -0000, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

"Alan Osborn" wrote in message
In article , Peter Masson
writes

"87015" wrote in message
. com...

sometimes i am surprised lea bridge station ever shut in the first

place.

The only passenger trains booked to pass the site of Lea Bridge station

are
the 0817 Cheshunt to Stratford and 1748 return.

Peter

Pretty negligible service if when it was open.
If I recall at time of closure it was a peak-hour Stratford Low Level to
Tottenham Hale DMU My records show closure was 5th July 1985
One wonders if it does reopen, will the TOC presumably it will be First
Anglia or what it is going to call itself, will provide - maybe some
local trains via Tottenham Hale will run via Stratford to Liverpool
Street.

A long standing local idea was been to reinstate the curve between the
Chingford branch and the line via Lea Bridge to allow a local service to
Stratford for Docklands. I believe it would be a popular service as
there are considerable traffic flows between Chingford, Walthamstow and
Stratford and rail would be by far the most efficient way to provide the
capacity. It is a simple piece of work as the old alignment is there but
I can't see it happening because expansion of the rail network is not on
the SRA agenda.

I think one idea is to divert North London Line trains to Stratford High
Level then Lea Bridge and Tottenham Hale once the DLR has taken over the
North Woolwich branch.

I suppose that could work but it would make the North London Line a very
strange link indeed.
--
Paul C