Old December 29th 10, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Contacting TFL (and use of gold card "registered" oyster cards)

Can anyone point me to how you just "Ask a question" via the TFL
website about Oyster?

I can see how to "Make a complaint", "Make a Suggestion", "Say Thank
You", "Report some lost property", "Report a street fault" but other
than that I cannot see how to move forward.

But maybe some here can answer my question :-)

I (now) have registered my gold card on my PAYG oyster card. What I want
to know is whether I can let someone else use my Oyster card if I am
travelling with them (This is like buying a discounted rail ticket for
someone else when you have to travel with them).

My gold card covers Watford Junction to London Euston so, when I'm
travelling with someone else they could reasonably use my PAYG oyster
while I'm using my gold card for the same journey.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/

Old December 29th 10, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Woodall" wrote in message
e.uk...
[...]

Firstly, I don't know.

But...

You pass through a reader at Watford Junction (which I assume you do
regularly/daily). System says here's Tim Woodall with his Gold Card
(probably not that personal). 2 seconds later the same card passes the
same (or a different, no difference) reader. How is it supposed to know
that the 2nd pass is for a PAYG journey for a 2nd passenger?

Old December 29th 10, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Tim Woodall wrote:

Can anyone point me to how you just "Ask a question" via the TFL
website about Oyster?

I can see how to "Make a complaint", "Make a Suggestion", "Say Thank
You", "Report some lost property", "Report a street fault" but other
than that I cannot see how to move forward.

You should make a complaint about that. Or, perhaps, a suggestion.

But maybe some here can answer my question :-)

Not me, i'm afraid.

tom

--
There's no future.
Old December 29th 10, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 29, 8:29*pm, Tim Woodall wrote:
[...]

- there is no "ask a question" option - it is designed to promote the
FAQs (reducing customer contact = reducing costs)
- the answer is "no" - you can't lend your Oyster card to someone else
travelling with you between Watford Junction to Euston. The Oyster
card can only be used by you whilst it has the Gold Card discount
loaded and you need to carry your Gold Card with you whenever you use
the Oyster card to avoid the risk of penalty fare.
Old December 30th 10, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

My Gold card is a point to point season ticket (paper). My PAYG oyster
was, until yesterday, a completely unrelated piece of plastic.

AIUI it now just has a flag on it to say that I also possess a Gold
Card and therefore I am entitled to off peak discounts on PAYG fares.

I'm assuming that I still cannot use my PAYG oyster to open the
barriers at London and Watford Junction (at least I can but I'll be
charged PAYG rates for it.)

So if I was travelling with someone I would continue to use my paper
card to open the barriers for me. I wanted to know if someone else
could use my PAYG oyster as they were travelling with me.

I'd actually prefer it if I could use my Oyster card to open the
barriers but I've been told that it's impossible for me to do that (at
least I could do it but I'd have to get an all zones travelcard season
ticket)

The fact that my paper ticket also seems not to open the barriers at
Euston is a different problem. Yesterday it at least went through the
barrier, even if it just said "Seek Assistance". This morning
(replacement ticker) it wouldn't even go into the barrier - mind you,
even the guard had to get a key out to open the barrier and couldn't
use his magic card so maybe today it's not my ticket that was the
problem. As I pretty much always have my Brompton with me I use the
manual gate at Watford.

Tim.

Old December 30th 10, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

In which case http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx item 6.1.3
would appear to apply:

6.1.3. Unless it has a valid season ticket on it, you can transfer your
Oyster card to another person for them to pay as they go. If you have a
season ticket on your Oyster card, you cannot transfer it to anyone else to
pay as they go. If the Oyster card is registered/protected, it will remain
in your name and we will only be able to deal with any enquiries about the
Oyster card if made by you. You will still be responsible for the Oyster
card and any use made of it. We will not accept responsibility for any
losses arising out of the transfer and use of your Oyster card.

Old December 30th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

In which case http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx item 6.1.3
would appear to apply:

6.1.3. Unless it has a valid season ticket on it, you can transfer your
Oyster card to another person for them to pay as they go. If you have a
season ticket on your Oyster card, you cannot transfer it to anyone else
to pay as they go. If the Oyster card is registered/protected, it will
remain in your name and we will only be able to deal with any enquiries
about the Oyster card if made by you. You will still be responsible for
the Oyster card and any use made of it. We will not accept responsibility
for any losses arising out of the transfer and use of your Oyster card.

AIUI once you have a national railcard discount applied PAYG can no longer
be transferred. The railcard serial number is loaded onto the Oyster Card,
and so that ties it to an individual, I believe the second paragraph of
section 6.1.3 comes into play.

"If you have an Oyster photo card or Oyster card with a valid discount
concession on it, you cannot transfer it to anyone else."

Then there's also section 7.3.10 which includes:

"These discounts are only available to the cardholder. You must carry your
National Railcard with you at all times."

Paul S

Old December 30th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Dec, 20:29, Tim Woodall wrote:
[...]

Here is the information you need:

Gold Card holders can also buy a Network Railcard for another adult
for just £1. The Network Railcard Partner Card gives 1/3 off leisure
travel in the Network Railcard Area. Find out more about the Network
Railcard. Only one £1 Network Railcard Partner Card can be issued
during the validity of the Annual Gold Card.

also anything you want to know about Gold Cards he
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_.../goldcard.html

RT

Old December 30th 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks for those (unfortunately I cannot easily open the link as the
webserver is sending the wrong content-type header: it says "File is
an aspx file")

I'm not convinced that those completely and unambiguously exclude what
I would like to do (although I expect that it is prohibited)

I would argue that I'm not "transferring" my card to someone else, I'm
paying for them to travel with me.

This is akin to buying a ticket with a gold card discount for someone
else - they have to travel with the gold card holder.

Tim.
Old December 30th 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hertsman wrote:
Here is the information you need:

Gold Card holders can also buy a Network Railcard for another adult
for just £1. The Network Railcard Partner Card gives 1/3 off leisure
travel in the Network Railcard Area. Find out more about the Network
Railcard. Only one £1 Network Railcard Partner Card can be issued
during the validity of the Annual Gold Card.

also anything you want to know about Gold Cards he
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_.../goldcard.html

AIUI you cannot put a network railcard on to a PAYG oyster to get a
discount. It's only gold cards that are eligible for the discount.

(Not completely unreasonable, network railcard discounts have a
minimum fare which would exceed any PAYG oyster fare)

Tim.

gold cards john14 London Transport 3 October 3rd 12 05:43 PM
Oyster Cards damaged by proximity door entry cards neill London Transport 5 March 24th 12 06:28 PM
Oyster Gold Card discount on routes with TFL fares Beth London Transport 3 January 13th 11 10:14 PM
"OnePulse" cards and Oyster readers [email protected] London Transport 5 June 10th 08 05:13 AM
difference between Gold Record Card and Record Card David Howdon London Transport 4 March 29th 06 10:35 PM