London Banter

-   -   Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1169-slam-door-carriage-torn-apart.html)

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North December 17th 03 12:08 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

"Bluestars" wrote in message ...
BBC South Today this evening showed pictures of a
slam door carriage being torn to pieces in the
demolition yard at Immingham.

The programme may probably be viewed at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/southtoday/
View todays programme.

Note the programme may be seen this night only.

The clip was at the end of the broadcast programme.

(Not viewed this myself as it requires Real Player)

Roger

Why exactly are they being taken all the way to Grimsby to be
demolished? Wouldn't it be more effective to do it down here?

Richard J. December 17th 03 01:33 PM

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North wrote:
"Bluestars" wrote in message
BBC South Today this evening showed pictures of a
slam door carriage being torn to pieces in the
demolition yard at Immingham.

The programme may probably be viewed at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/southtoday/
View todays programme.

Note the programme may be seen this night only.

The clip was at the end of the broadcast programme.

(Not viewed this myself as it requires Real Player)

Roger

Why exactly are they being taken all the way to Grimsby to be
demolished? Wouldn't it be more effective to do it down here?

Down where? You're "In The North" remember. Which particular train
demolition yard in London did you have in mind?
--
Richard J.

Tom Sacold December 17th 03 03:35 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message m...
"Bluestars" wrote in message

BBC South Today this evening showed pictures of a
slam door carriage being torn to pieces in the
demolition yard at Immingham.

The programme may probably be viewed at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/southtoday/
View todays programme.

Note the programme may be seen this night only.

The clip was at the end of the broadcast programme.

(Not viewed this myself as it requires Real Player)

Roger

Why exactly are they being taken all the way to Grimsby to be
demolished? Wouldn't it be more effective to do it down here?

I liked the old slam door trains. They were warmer and more comfortable
than the new sliding door, rattling, cattle boxes that we have to travel in.

K December 17th 03 03:43 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:35:30 -0000, "Tom Sacold"
wrote:

I liked the old slam door trains. They were warmer and more comfortable
than the new sliding door, rattling, cattle boxes that we have to travel in.

and you get to sit in the First class carriages on my line.... :-)

Robin May December 17th 03 04:11 PM

"Tom Sacold" wrote the following in:

I liked the old slam door trains. They were warmer and more
comfortable than the new sliding door, rattling, cattle boxes that
we have to travel in.

You obviously aren't a c2c passenger then.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Robin May may be my name, but Robin is my first name.

Tom Sacold December 17th 03 05:26 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Tom Sacold" wrote the following in:

I liked the old slam door trains. They were warmer and more
comfortable than the new sliding door, rattling, cattle boxes that
we have to travel in.

You obviously aren't a c2c passenger then.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Robin May may be my name, but Robin is my first name.

Great Eastern into Liverpool Street.

Robin May December 17th 03 05:29 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

"Tom Sacold" wrote the following in:

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Tom Sacold" wrote the following in:

I liked the old slam door trains. They were warmer and more
comfortable than the new sliding door, rattling, cattle boxes that
we have to travel in.

You obviously aren't a c2c passenger then.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Robin May may be my name, but Robin is my first name.

Great Eastern into Liverpool Street.

I was and still am a regular c2c passenger before and after they
replaced their slam door trains with nice new sliding door ones. The
sliding door ones are more comfortable, cleaner, faster, a nicer
temperature and generally a more pleasant environment to travel in.

If your experience of the Great Eastern is with the horrible trains
they have which are like those on the North London Line then I could
understand that you'd prefer the slam door ones.

Michelle Lee December 17th 03 05:57 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

On 17 Dec 2003 18:29:09 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

I was and still am a regular c2c passenger before and after they
replaced their slam door trains with nice new sliding door ones. The
sliding door ones are more comfortable, cleaner, faster, a nicer
temperature and generally a more pleasant environment to travel in.

[snip]

I travel on c2c from time to time and agree that their new trains are
VERY comfortable, maybe a little too much so. I really don't like
waking up in Southend when I'm supposed to get off at Stanford!

--
Michelle Lee (U.K)

Neil Williams December 17th 03 06:26 PM

Slam door carriage torn apart on BBC South Today

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:57:20 +0000, Michelle Lee
wrote:

I travel on c2c from time to time and agree that their new trains are
VERY comfortable, maybe a little too much so. I really don't like
waking up in Southend when I'm supposed to get off at Stanford!

I was quite surprised at the build quality, personally - a lot of
solid metal and "hard-wearing" colours compared very favourably to the
flimsy plastic interiors of the Turbostars from the same manufacturer.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.