Old January 24th 11, 09:07 PM
tda tda is offline
Junior Member

Default Bus route - going back to depot

Hello!

Does anybody know if the buses need to follow a specific route when they are out of service and going back to the depot, or can they go anyway they like? Where could I see what the routes are?

Old January 25th 11, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
tda wrote:

Does anybody know if the buses need to follow a specific route when they
are out of service and going back to the depot, or can they go anyway
they like? Where could I see what the routes are?

I expect they follow bus routes but not necessarily the ones that they
are 'numbered' for. We see out of service 168s going north past our our
house on the 76 route sometimes - I presume they are heading for an
Arriva garage as they are nowhere near the route.

E.
Old January 25th 11, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:07:49PM +0000, tda wrote:

Does anybody know if the buses need to follow a specific route when they
are out of service and going back to the depot, or can they go anyway
they like? Where could I see what the routes are?

When I worked on the busses (but this wasn't in London) we only ever
followed set routes. If you think about it, this makes sense as you
really don't want a bus driver to just make **** up and end up blocking
a narrow residential street or hit a bridge that isn't tall enough.

Aluminum makes a nice hat.
All paranoids will tell you that.
But what most do not know
Is reflections will show
On the CIA's evil landsat.
Old January 25th 11, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\01\25 21:38, Paul Corfield wrote:

Of course a lot of routes will pass their operating garage anyway so
there are no "extra" roads to be followed.

I thought that the timetable demands were specified before the running
company and garage had been chosen, and so the days when last buses
would run in service to a garage halfway along the route were over.

Also, I thought that buses running out of service were ordered to avoid
their service route where possible, because people waiting for buses get
annoyed if they see a bus with their chosen route number running out of
service.

So even if the garage is halfway along the route, the buses go out of
service at the terminus and then take a deliberately different route to
the garage.
Old January 26th 11, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 25, 10:29*pm, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\01\25 21:38, Paul Corfield wrote:

Of course a lot of routes will pass their operating garage anyway so
there are no "extra" roads to be followed.

I thought that the timetable demands were specified before the running
company and garage had been chosen, and so the days when last buses
would run in service to a garage halfway along the route were over.

Also, I thought that buses running out of service were ordered to avoid
their service route where possible, because people waiting for buses get
annoyed if they see a bus with their chosen route number running out of
service.

So even if the garage is halfway along the route, the buses go out of
service at the terminus and then take a deliberately different route to
the garage.

That may apply to some routes. My local service has the garage half
way along the route. Buses that run out of service to take up or end
their duties follow the route and don't deviate. Some buses are
scheduled to start or finish at the garage either very early or late
in the day.

There are obviously lots of variations in practice - I wasn't
suggesting a single "methodology" just observing what can be the case
for quite a lot of routes.

--
Paul C
via Google

Old January 26th 11, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 26, 8:06*am, Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

via Google- Hide quoted text -

Talking of out of service buses in the context of the tragic incident
in Walthamstow on Monday night, some fool has written to the Waltham
Forest Guardian complaining that out of service buses "...do not
exhibit a full lighting display, just the bare minimum with no back
lighting behind the route blinds etc or internal lights either.An
issue for the coroner's court to debate I submit...."

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new.../#commentsList

If, as reported, the victim ran into the road to escape a gang of
muggers, I cannot see how that can be blamed on the fault of the bus
driver. It would only be the drivers fault if he was driving too fast,
or not paying due care and attention.
Old January 26th 11, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote:

Talking of out of service buses in the context of the tragic incident
in Walthamstow on Monday night, some fool has written to the Waltham
Forest Guardian complaining that out of service buses "...do not
exhibit a full lighting display, just the bare minimum with no back
lighting behind the route blinds etc or internal lights either.An
issue for the coroner's court to debate I submit...."

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new.../#commentsList

If, as reported, the victim ran into the road to escape a gang of
muggers, I cannot see how that can be blamed on the fault of the bus
driver. It would only be the drivers fault if he was driving too fast,
or not paying due care and attention.

A horrible incident.

Agreed about the comment in question - unfortunately the comments sections
of local newspaper websites are often full of utter guff written by
self-appointed experts who relish the opportunity to broadcast their
'common-sense'-flavoured ignorance to the world.

Old January 26th 11, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new...OW__Bus_death_...

If, as reported, the victim ran into the road to escape a gang of
muggers, I cannot see how that can be blamed on the fault of the bus
driver. It would only be the drivers fault if he was driving too fast,
or not paying due care and attention.

A horrible incident.

Agreed about the comment in question - unfortunately the comments sections
of local newspaper websites are often full of utter guff written by
self-appointed experts who relish the opportunity to broadcast their
'common-sense'-flavoured ignorance to the world.

Indeed. I walked past the bus stop on the way to work this morning and
saw the flowers there. If the victim had been run over by a car or a
lorry, would the writer have been so quick to blame the driver then.
That section of Forest Road is well lit, so the victim in normal
circumstances would have been able to see the bus. However, if you
are running away from a gang, then normal thought processes and
precautions fly out of the window.
Old January 26th 11, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

precautions fly out of the window.- Hide quoted text -

Drivers are generally able to choose their own route to from the
garage although some operators might have different rules.

There are some routes where the last bus/buses runs back in service
such as the 123 and 358.