Old March 9th 11, 06:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Buses Run By The RATP

On Mar 8, 8:45*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 07:21:19 -0800 (PST), Paul
wrote:

Saw a London United bus on route 10 parked at the terminus at Kings
Cross this afternoon. Underneath the "London United " logo was the
logo for the RATP (Regie Autonome Des Transports Parisiens) which runs
the buses, metro, trams and RER in Paris.

The change of ownership only took place late last week. First report
I've heard of the RATP logo appearing on a bus.

This was news to me, at it remains to be seen what difference French
ownership might make.

Very little in the short term I would expect. Even medium to long term I
doubt much will happen with London United. RATP might try to buy out
Epsom Buses as they'd be a logical fit with London United but other than
that I would expect it to be "business as usual".

What is more interesting is that RATP have bought the Bath Bus Company
which runs sightseeing services in Bath. In former times it did compete
for tendered services and the head of the operation used to work for
First Group in the South West! *Whether RATP see it as a springboard for
taking on tendered work again or competing head to head with First
remains to be seen.

RATP also own Yellow Buses in Bournemouth - an operation transformed
under Transdev ownership.

Worth noting that in Paris, two thirds of the buses stop running at
8:30pm, and only about half run on Sundays.

To be fair the Paris bus network is vastly more comprehensive, frequent
and extensive than it used to be. *RATP and STIF realised that the
network could make a far bigger contribution and have funded expansion
for several years. I think they took part of their cue from London's
experience under the early years of Ken.

I would suggest you refresh your understanding of the Paris bus network
via this link.

http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orie...=reseaux&nompd....

No bus stops at 20.30 M-F - the time is now 22.00 and only two routes
seem to stop. *Many routes are daily and very few adopt the "barre"
system of part route operation on Sundays.
--
Paul C

I think their website must be out of date then,

If you look at http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/cartebus.php, you
can select "en journee", "en soiree" or "dimanche et fetes". By
switching from one to the other, you can see which routes run in the
day, but do not run in the evenings or on Sundays. If you hover the
mouse pointer over "en soiree", it says "Afficher la carte Bus Paris
circulant apres 20:30."

Taking one example, route 20 between the Gare De Lyon and the Gare St
Lazare does not appear on the "en soiree" map. And yet the timetable
shows it running up to 1am seven days a week.

You live and learn.

Old March 9th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:* Arthur Figgis
*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:58:15 +0000

On 08/03/2011 18:51, Paul wrote:

Purely coinicidentally, I was in Paris recently. The metro there
generally has a reputation for being more reliable the the London
Underground.

France's external reputation for transport doesn't generally stand
up to reality.

Other useful French phrases I've come across are "retard"
(=departure) and "service autocar" (=train not going to/from Paris).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Out of curiosity, I often check the RATP equivalent of the Live Update
page:
http://www.ratp.fr/informer/trafic/trafic.php
Like LU, they seem to have spells when there's problems, although LU seem
to have had a lot more recently with the Jubilee line signal system
failures.
As with the Underground, they had their spell of "accident grave de
voyageur"s after the new year

Loosely translated causes for delays a

incident technique
Technical problems

accident grave de voyageur
Person under a train

le trafic est interrompu entre .....
There is no service between ....

Les trains circulent avec des retards de XXXX minutes environ et des
suppressions ou modifications...
Trains are running about XXXX minutes late, with cancellations or changes
to destinations

Ces incidents sont à présent terminés mais les trains circulent avec des
retards de XXXX minutes environ.
These incidents have ended, but the trains are running about XXXX minutes
late

Les trains circulent avec des retards importants
The trains are running with large delays

Incident terminé à XXXX
Incident at XXXX has ended

Fin d'incident, reprise du trafic
End of incident, trains now running

Retour au trafic normal estimé vers XXXX
Return to normal running estimated at XXXX

En consèquence, les trains ne desservent pas les gares XXXX
As a consequence, the trains are not going to / stopping at stations XXXX

Le trafic est normal sur les autres lignes de XXXX
Other lines on the XXX are running normally

En répercussion du déclenchement d'un signal d'alarme en gare XXXX
Because an alarm has been operated at XXXX station

Un train en panne / En répercussion à une panne de matériel
Faulty train

incident de signalisation / panne de signalisation
Signal problems

En répercussion de divers incidents
Because of various incidents

En raison d'un incident voyageur
Because of a passenger incident / accident

En raison de la chute d'un voyageur entre deux voitures à XXXX
Because of a passenger falling between two cars at XXXX

En raison d'un colis suspect à XXXX
Because of a suspect package at XXXX

En raison d'un rail cassé à XXXX
Because of a broken rail at XXXX

En raison de la présence de voyageurs sur les voies à XXXX
Because of people on the track at XXXX

En répercussion des conditions climatiques
Because of weather conditions

En répercussion des conditions climatiques dégradées
Because of worsening weather conditions

En raison des chutes de neige, l'ensemble du réseau bus est paralysé
Because of snow, there are no buses running

Le Funiculaire est interrompu
The funinulaire (to Sacre Coeur) isn't running

and yesterday's delay on line 9 speaks for itself!
Animal sur la voie

Roger
Old March 9th 11, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 9, 12:27*pm, wrote:
In article ,

*From:* Arthur Figgis
*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:58:15 +0000

On 08/03/2011 18:51, Paul wrote:

[...]

Ces incidents sont pr sent termin s mais les trains circulent avec des
retards de XXXX minutes environ.
These incidents have ended, but the trains are running about XXXX minutes
late

Les trains circulent avec des retards importants
The trains are running with large delays

Incident termin XXXX
Incident at XXXX has ended

Fin d'incident, reprise du trafic
End of incident, trains now running

Retour au trafic normal estim vers XXXX
Return to normal running estimated at XXXX

En cons quence, les trains ne desservent pas les gares XXXX
As a consequence, the trains are not going to / stopping at stations XXXX

Le trafic est normal sur les autres lignes de XXXX
Other lines on the XXX are running normally

En r percussion du d clenchement d'un signal d'alarme en gare XXXX
Because an alarm has been operated at XXXX station

Un train en panne */ *En r percussion une panne de mat riel
Faulty train

incident de signalisation */ *panne de signalisation
Signal problems

En r percussion de divers incidents
Because of various incidents

En raison d'un incident voyageur
Because of a passenger incident / accident

En raison de la chute d'un voyageur entre deux voitures XXXX
Because of a passenger falling between two cars at XXXX

En raison d'un colis suspect XXXX
Because of a suspect package at XXXX

En raison d'un rail cass XXXX
Because of a broken rail at XXXX

En raison de la pr sence de voyageurs sur les voies XXXX
Because of people on the track at XXXX

En r percussion des conditions climatiques
Because of weather conditions

En r percussion des conditions climatiques d grad es
Because of worsening weather conditions

En raison des chutes de neige, l'ensemble du r seau bus est paralys
Because of snow, there are no buses running

Le Funiculaire est interrompu
The funinulaire (to Sacre Coeur) isn't running

and yesterday's delay on line 9 speaks for itself!
Animal sur la voie

Roger- Hide quoted text -

Of course, if you live in Paris (or anywhere else in France for that
matter) you will come to understand what "..Suite a un preavis de
greve..." means.
Old March 9th 11, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,

*From:* Paul
*Date:* Wed, 9 Mar 2011 04:33:02 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 9, 12:27*pm, wrote:
In article ,

*From:* Arthur Figgis
*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:58:15 +0000

On 08/03/2011 18:51, Paul wrote:

[...]

Yes, I missed that one :-) although it has been pretty quiet recently. I
think Bob Crow must go over there to get advice!

Roger
Old March 10th 11, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011-03-08 19:58:15 +0000, Arthur Figgis said:

On 08/03/2011 18:51, Paul wrote:

Purely coinicidentally, I was in Paris recently. The metro there
generally has a reputation for being more reliable the the London
Underground.

France's external reputation for transport doesn't generally stand up
to reality.

Other useful French phrases I've come across are "retard" (=departure)
and "service autocar" (=train not going to/from Paris).

Un autocar is a coach or bus. As someone else said, retard means delay
or lateness
as in RETARD 5MN = 5 minute delay.

Steve Sangwine

Old March 10th 11, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011-03-08 19:58:15 +0000, Arthur Figgis said:

On 08/03/2011 18:51, Paul wrote:
Purely coinicidentally, I was in Paris recently. The metro there
generally has a reputation for being more reliable the the London
Underground.

France's external reputation for transport doesn't generally stand up
to reality.

Other useful French phrases I've come across are "retard" (=departure)
and "service autocar" (=train not going to/from Paris).

Un autocar is a coach or bus. As someone else said, retard means delay
or lateness
as in RETARD 5MN = 5 minute delay.

Mr Figgis knows this very well...
Old March 10th 11, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011-03-08 19:58:15 +0000, Arthur Figgis said:

On 08/03/2011 18:51, Paul wrote:
Purely coinicidentally, I was in Paris recently. The metro there
generally has a reputation for being more reliable the the London
Underground.

France's external reputation for transport doesn't generally stand up
to reality.

Other useful French phrases I've come across are "retard" (=departure)
and "service autocar" (=train not going to/from Paris).

Un autocar is a coach or bus. As someone else said, retard means delay
or lateness
as in RETARD 5MN = 5 minute delay.

Mr Figgis knows this very well...

I got it, although not been to Paris for far too long ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old March 11th 11, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Mizter T wrote:

RATP London United will continue providing bus services under (quite
tightly specified) contract to TfL, just as Abellio - owned by
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (the Dutch railway company, wholly state owned) -
and Arriva - owned by Deutsche Bahn (again wholly state owned) - also
do.

Of course, we mustn't forget our own Network Rail's many highly profitable
forays into applying their considerable professional expertise overseas.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

tom

--
Argumentative and pedantic, oh, yes. Although it's properly called
"correct" -- Huge
Old March 11th 11, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orie...s_paris&fm=gif

No bus stops at 20.30 M-F - the time is now 22.00 and only two routes
seem to stop. Many routes are daily and very few adopt the "barre"
system of part route operation on Sundays.

What's the 'barre' system? I had a google but couldn't find anything.

tom

--
There are only three ways of creating wealth. You dig it up, grow it,
or convert it to add value, anything else is merely moving it about. --
Old March 11th 11, 11:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 12, 8:01*am, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Mizter T wrote:
RATP London United will continue providing bus services under (quite
tightly specified) contract to TfL, just as Abellio - owned by
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (the Dutch railway company, wholly state owned) -
and Arriva - owned by Deutsche Bahn (again wholly state owned) - also
do.

Of course, we mustn't forget our own Network Rail's many highly profitable
forays into applying their considerable professional expertise overseas.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Missing the gag here. NR's job is to own & maintain the GB rail
infrastructure, not run transport services, so it's not surprising it
doesn't operate buses in France.

Many UK-based train companies have been successful (or at least,
profitable) at running public transport overseas - Stagecoach, First
and NEG all do, and Arriva did well enough that Deutsche Bahn paid two
billion euros for them and put Arriva management in charge of all its
international operations.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

RATP [email protected] London Transport 11 August 16th 11 08:10 AM
Roadside Ticket Machines run by London Buses - how useful / reliableare they? Tim B London Transport 4 August 1st 11 07:22 PM
OT - Pdf maps from the old RATP site John Rowland London Transport 4 July 7th 08 08:57 AM
NCP to run Buses? Joe London Transport 2 March 30th 05 06:34 PM
Independent article: Livingstone may run London rail network Jason London Transport 0 April 1st 04 04:11 PM