Old May 4th 11, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

Old May 4th 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 May 2011 03:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Other than a chance to stomp their feet and have a little tantrum shouting
"its not fair" like a 5 year old, what exactly is that buffoon expecting to
achieve other than dragging tube drivers reputation even lower than the
sub basement level its already at? The chances of LU re-hiring these idiots is
zero.

B2003

Old May 4th 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Other than a chance to stomp their feet and have a little tantrum shouting
"its not fair" like a 5 year old, what exactly is that buffoon expecting to
achieve other than dragging tube drivers reputation even lower than the
sub basement level its already at? The chances of LU re-hiring these idiots is
zero.

B2003

Well it is less than 500 days until the Olympics, so I suppose he has
to keep practising. I would have thought that he would have held a
strike last Friday.
Old May 4th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 May 2011 04:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
Well it is less than 500 days until the Olympics, so I suppose he has
to keep practising. I would have thought that he would have held a
strike last Friday.

Not much point striking on a bank holiday - most of them would have had
the day off anyway so they've nothing to gain from it.

B2003

Old May 4th 11, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , d
says...

Paul wrote:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Other than a chance to stomp their feet and have a little tantrum shouting
"its not fair" like a 5 year old, what exactly is that buffoon expecting to
achieve other than dragging tube drivers reputation even lower than the
sub basement level its already at? The chances of LU re-hiring these idiots is
zero.

B2003

Headline in the Evening Standard says "Sacked Tube drivers paid £45,000
a year to sit at home"

Old May 4th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
03:33:34 on Wed, 4 May 2011, Paul remarked:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

I was going to get the train to London one of the strike days (then
across and out the other side). This strike means I'll definitely drive,
and mainline ToCs who aren't a party to the dispute will be losing more
of my revenue than TfL.
Old May 4th 11, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 May, 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
03:33:34 on Wed, 4 May 2011, Paul remarked:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

I was going to get the train to London one of the strike days (then
across and out the other side). This strike means I'll definitely drive,
and mainline ToCs who aren't a party to the dispute will be losing more
of my revenue than TfL.

Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.
Old May 4th 11, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
07:11:27 on Wed, 4 May 2011, George
remarked:
Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.

The BBC story linked to earlier says:

Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards his
colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
train's safety systems and drove the train with complete
disregard for established procedures".
Old May 4th 11, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 4, 3:11*pm, George wrote:
On 4 May, 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:33:34 on Wed, 4 May 2011, Paul remarked:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

I was going to get the train to London one of the strike days (then
across and out the other side). This strike means I'll definitely drive,
and mainline ToCs who aren't a party to the dispute will be losing more
of my revenue than TfL.

Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.- Hide quoted text -

According to the article:-

The RMT said almost two-thirds of its members voted in favour of
industrial action over claims Eamon Lynch and Arwyn Thomas were sacked
because of their trade union activities.

Both men have taken a case of unfair dismissal to an employment
tribunal.

LU said it was "absolute nonsense" to suggest the men were dismissed
because of their union activities.

It added that Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards
his colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
train's safety systems and drove the train with complete disregard for
established procedures".

LU managing director Mike Brown said: "Just 29% of the 1,300 drivers
balloted voted for this strike.

If only 29% of the drivers ballotted voted for the strike, then that
means that only about 750 (or about 58%) of those ballotted actually
bothered to vote in the first place.

Sounds as though the strike has not got universal support anyway.
Plus if most drivers belong to ASLEF and work normally, then the
strike won't have that much impact. Who would want or could afford to
lose several days pay over this issue?

The other thing to point out is that these cases are going to an
Industrial Tribunal. Surely Comrade Crow would be better waiting for
the outcome of the Tribunal before deciding his next move? Or has he
been advised that they haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning
and is getting desperate?
Old May 4th 11, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote:

Well I [thought] Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

Strikorama:

16 to 17 May: 2101 BST - 1159 BST
18 to 19 May: 1200 BST - 1159 BST
20 May: 1200 BST - 2100 BST

13 to 14 June: 2101 BST - 1159 BST
15 to 16 June: 1200 BST - 1159 BST
17 June: 1200 BST - 2100 BST

(best viewed as fixed width text - well, perhaps best not viewed at all!)

So, two rounds of strikes, each starting on a Monday, each 'round' having an
impact across five consecutive (working) days, with the striking hours
pattern being the same for both 'rounds'.

From a 'regular-hours' commuter's point of view the Monday strike should
have the least impact, though I'm not sure when services might start winding
down.

Of course, if the strikes go ahead then LU would do their best to offer what
services they can - past experience suggests that this can be rather
variable (essentially dependent on how many staff turn up, and so it can
change as shifts change).

Seems like a bit of a declaration of war on the RMT's part, it must be said.

Is that clattering and groaning the sound of umpteen bicycles being
retrieved from sheds and basements?