Old August 24th 11, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Do out-of-London bus passes work on London bus touch-pads?

On Aug 23, 12:12*am, Clive Page wrote:

I wondered about that myself. *The standard way of using Oyster on a
London bus is just to touch in, but outside London most bus fares depend
on the distance. *At present you have to tell the driver your
destination, and he gives you a ticket for a given fare. *If you have a
bus pass, the ticket is priced at zero to you, but the system knows how
much to charge the local Council. * But if you just touch in at the
start of the journey, the system has no knowledge of how far you are
going. * So how does this work in other places: do you have to touch in
AND touch out?

Lots of different ways.

Holland and Singapo On touching in you are charged maximum fare to
your card. You touch out on exit (by the middle doors) and this
refunds back to where you actually got off.

Vevey, Switzerland: There is a mini "ticket vending machine" by the
driver and at other doors (entry is by all doors with a Penalty Fares
system in operation instead of drivers checking), and you select on
that using a touchscreen your destination zone before touching your
card.

Milton Keynes old contact-based system (passes only, but it did have
an unused stored-value feature which had it been used would have
worked the same way): insert card, state destination, ticket is issued
in the same way as a cash ticket by driver but debiting card, card
returned.

Neil

Old August 24th 11, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote:

On 22/08/2011 11:31, David Cantrell wrote:
Yes, they work. They work by you showing them to the driver or ticket
inspector. You don't need to touch them on the Oyster pads, because
they're yet another of the eleventy squillion special cases that have
piled up around Oyster.

Yes, but the other week I used my non-Oxford bus pass on a bus in Oxford.
The driver motioned to me to touch it on the touch pad, and was very
surprised when it did not work. He then played about with his machine for
a bit and eventually issued me with a zero-cost ticket. But he told me
that nearly all bus passes worked his machine, and not just those issued
in Oxford City itself (this was a park-and-ride bus, mostly used by those
not living in Oxford itself).

So why didn't it work? My Council claims its recently-issued cards are
ITSO-compatible, and has checked my pass and told me that it is in working
order (it is certainly capable of interfering with an Oyster card if it's
nearby when I touch that in/out, which suggests its RFID-works are
working). I'm baffled.

I guess that technology this advanced handled by local council officials
and bus companies is bound to end up a bit of a mess.

I'm guessing you haven't yet had to touch-in/ validate using your ITSO pass
on any other buses elsewhere?

Old August 25th 11, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/08/2011 13:37, Mizter T wrote:
I'm guessing you haven't yet had to touch-in/ validate using your ITSO
pass on any other buses elsewhere?

No not yet. Indeed the simplest thing seems to be to always just show
it to the bus driver: always works in my experience. But I don't use a
bus pass all that often, which is why I wondered if anyone else here had
more experience of them.

Actually, it's getting to be the same with rail tickets: such a high
proportion of them don't work barriers that the fastest way through is
just to seek out the manned barrier and get it visually inspected.

--
Clive Page
Old August 27th 11, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

People seem to be confusing two different things:

(a) ENCTS cards (bus passes) which should in due course be accepted by ITSO
compliant bus touch pads 'everywhere' - there is no cash reconciliation, the
cost is reimbursed by the local authority in which the journey starts, and

(b) prepayment smart cards (Oyster, Key and other operators' equivalents)
which are obviously linked to the individual operators' charging schemes and
are specific to particular areas and operators' services and won't
(shouldn't) work elsewhere - the exception is Oxford, where there is now
some inter-operability between Go-Ahead and Stagecoach services within the
urban area.