Old September 3rd 11, 08:54 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
So finally after however many years it is and hundreds of millions spent -
TA DA! We now have a light railway running on exactly the same route as
a heavy railway ran on. Well that was money well spent.[/i][/color]

Not exactly. You're forgetting the Stratford International bit.[/i][/color]

I doubt it would have been beyond the wit of man to realign or branch off
the original straford line to serve there. Even when the NLL served these
stations they were allegedly poorly used. Who the hell is going to use them
now when the service stops at stratford int? People going into london will
just change at canning town or go all the way to Bank.

B2003
I share your scepticism about the viability of this project and your alarm at the inordinate cost but I'm more optimistic than you.

The service between Stratford and North Woolwich was very lightly patronised in the old days but demographics and transport possibilites have changed in recent years. I think some people will travel to Stratford for the new shopping centre or to change to either the Central Line or London Overground. Whether enough do so to justify the cost is another matter.

Old September 3rd 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Stratford International line - almost open!?

On 01/09/2011 18:14, The Gardener wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:21 pm, Martin
wrote:
Allegedly mid morning [1] but I'm not going to hold my breath ;-)

[1] according to comments on other blogs.

Apparently, it really is, finally, open:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14727813

And I actually rode on it from Stratford to S'ford International.

Closure

Not been up to S'ford Int'l for ages, so it was good to get a look around
- while it's still a building site, there are plenty of signs that things
are all coming into place - the fences are starting to come down along
Leyton Road (?) and Stratford City is looking ready to rock.

Plenty of the Athletes' Village (apostrophe correct?) looks done and all
getting very exciting.

The biggest shame is how few people there were at Stratford International
at 7pm - I know it's tricky to get to (currently) but still, I would have
expected greater patronage on the Kent services after nearly 2 years.

Yes, I had a post-work ride on it and was impressed, with one
exception - the unbelievably austere station at Stratford
International. It looks like it was built by a homesick East German.
Patronage was not great but I suspect it will soar when the shopping
centre opens.

Can you use your Oystercard on the Javelin?
Old September 3rd 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote

Can you use your Oystercard on the Javelin?

I don't think so. I don't recall Oyster readers on the Southeastern gates at
St pancras International.

Peter

Old September 3rd 11, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

wrote

Can you use your Oystercard on the Javelin?

I don't think so. I don't recall Oyster readers on the Southeastern gates
at St pancras International.

and TfL says Oyster is not available on Southeastern High Speed between St
Pancras and Stratford.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx

Peter

Old September 3rd 11, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I don't think so. I don't recall Oyster readers on the Southeastern gates
at St pancras International.

and TfL says Oyster is not available on Southeastern High Speed between St
Pancras and Stratford.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx

For completeness Travelcards are not valid either (except outboundary
travelcards from origins in Kent).

(For some odd reason the new TfL/Atoc map that replaces both the TfL Oyster
map and ATOC's familiar 'London Connections' map has dropped the warnings
about travelcards not being usable on HEx, HCon, and SE HS, but does warn
for PAYG. That will lead to more arguments presumably...)

Paul S

Old September 3rd 11, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I don't think so. I don't recall Oyster readers on the Southeastern
gates at St pancras International.

and TfL says Oyster is not available on Southeastern High Speed
between St Pancras and Stratford.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx

For completeness Travelcards are not valid either (except outboundary
travelcards from origins in Kent).

(For some odd reason the new TfL/Atoc map that replaces both the TfL
Oyster map and ATOC's familiar 'London Connections' map has dropped
the warnings about travelcards not being usable on HEx, HCon, and SE
HS, but does warn for PAYG. That will lead to more arguments
presumably...)

The one I saw on my KGX-CBG journey this afternoon seemed to include a
warning about Travelcards.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 3rd 11, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 2, 9:51*am, wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:45:24 -0500
wrote:

In article , ()
wrote:

So finally after however many years it is and hundreds of millions spent -
TA DA! We now have a light railway running on exactly the same route as
a heavy railway ran on. Well that was money well spent.

Not exactly. You're forgetting the Stratford International bit.

I doubt it would have been beyond the wit of man to realign or branch off
the original straford line to serve there. Even when the NLL served these
stations they were allegedly poorly used. Who the hell is going to use them
now when the service stops at stratford int? People going into london will
just change at canning town or go all the way to Bank.

The NLL service wasn't great - half-hourly - and the DLR now serves
three extra stations/localities. I'm sure this line will become well
patronised by local traffic.
Old September 4th 11, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 03/09/2011 13:38, Peter Masson wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

wrote

Can you use your Oystercard on the Javelin?

I don't think so. I don't recall Oyster readers on the Southeastern
gates at St pancras International.

and TfL says Oyster is not available on Southeastern High Speed between
St Pancras and Stratford.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx

Peter

A shame, indeed.

Is the one-third discount for Network Southeast applicable on the
high-speed for holders of an annual gold card?

I wonder if Oysters will eventually be accepted on the high-speed.
Old September 4th 11, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote

Is the one-third discount for Network Southeast applicable on the
high-speed for holders of an annual gold card?

I wonder if Oysters will eventually be accepted on the high-speed.

Yes - Railcard discounts are available on tickets 'via HS1' in accordance
with normal conditions.

Peter

Old September 5th 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul's already put his up, but here's a link to my DLR Stratford
International pics:

http://tinyurl.com/3kbwrvn