Old September 5th 11, 09:12 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default [USA]Prohibition-era train steams onto New York subway for 1920s TV series

All aboard!: Prohibition-era train steams onto New York subway for
1920s TV series
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lk-Empire.html

It was once the cutting edge of metropolitan travel. For more than 50
years the vintage train has been in retirement. But now the
Prohibition-era engine is to ride the rails once again- to promote a
new TV series set in the glamorous 1920s.

Great photos. But 'engine,' 'steams,' surely train?????

Love to see some footage on YouTube.

CJB

Old September 5th 11, 01:09 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
All aboard!: Prohibition-era train steams onto New York subway for
1920s TV series
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lk-Empire.html

It was once the cutting edge of metropolitan travel. For more than 50
years the vintage train has been in retirement. But now the
Prohibition-era engine is to ride the rails once again- to promote a
new TV series set in the glamorous 1920s.

Great photos. But 'engine,' 'steams,' surely train?????

Love to see some footage on YouTube.

CJB

The style of the train looks really familar to me since it was retired only
in 1960. I didn't notice the fans in the ceiling but the rubber on the
doors used to have a signed painted on them in red, vertically, "Hands Off."

Old September 5th 11, 05:26 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

This article at Gothamist has some video.

It's a three or four car train, depending on which article you
believe, running express between Times Sq and 96th streets on the 2/3
line, between 2 and 6 PM on weekends in September. The train is
authentically free of A/C.

Is this equipment that is normally at the transit museum, or is there
a cache of old trains somewhere else?

http://gothamist.com/2011/09/04/vide...k_empire_v.php

Old September 5th 11, 07:14 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 5, 1:26*pm, John Levine wrote:

It's a three or four car train, depending on which article you
believe, running express between Times Sq and 96th streets on the 2/3
line, between 2 and 6 PM on weekends in September. *The train is
authentically free of A/C.

Would anyone know of a schedule? Thanks.
Old September 5th 11, 10:17 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 05/09/2011 10:12, wrote:
All aboard!: Prohibition-era train steams onto New York subway for
1920s TV series
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lk-Empire.html

It was once the cutting edge of metropolitan travel. For more than 50
years the vintage train has been in retirement. But now the
Prohibition-era engine is to ride the rails once again- to promote a
new TV series set in the glamorous 1920s.

Great photos. But 'engine,' 'steams,' surely train?????

Love to see some footage on YouTube.

If only we could get Sky or ITV to pay that much to restore the LTM's Q
Stock and run that around the network! :-)

Old September 5th 11, 11:41 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Levine" wrote in message
This article at Gothamist has some video.

It's a three or four car train, depending on which article you
believe, running express between Times Sq and 96th streets on the 2/3
line, between 2 and 6 PM on weekends in September. The train is
authentically free of A/C.

Is this equipment that is normally at the transit museum, or is there
a cache of old trains somewhere else?

http://gothamist.com/2011/09/04/vide...k_empire_v.php

Thanks for the reference. I grew up on those trains.

There were some updates on the old cars. First, the ads made reference to
HBO, which, of course, did not exist then. AC? Ha aha ha.

The heating is under the straw seats. That was the old design. They had
some in vinyl, red as I remember. The fans in the ceiling worked nicely.

From the front, you could tell where a train was going by the color patterns
of the lights. When I was small, the front lower lights were kerosene.
This train had bright electric headlamps, an innovation which came much
later. The Flatbush line had a red and white light on the top front. The
New Lots Line had two red lights. When it came to the fork, the men who ran
the switches could see where the train was supposed to go Later they had
the train stop and the engineer had to push buttons to control the switch.

The lights inside the train were always yellowish. It looked like either
the exposure was off, or they had the PC lights installed. Also, the
destination signs were gone: they were kept in boxes just below the signs at
the end of each car. The conductor would, at the end of the line, walk
through the cars changing the signs manually. Those shown said HBO, I
believe.

The video did include the sound of the old-style motors.

What was missing from the vidos was how the train was made up. There were
even older cars running when I started school. These were the "new" ones
built by Pullman. As for the makeup, not all cars were powered. The first
and last cars were powered, but the usual 10 car trains had "trailers"
running second from the front and back, and one in the middle. I recall one
train which had most of the cars as trailers. It stalled after getting a
load they kicked us all off the President Street and we got to school late.
You could tell which cars were trailers because there was no place for the
engineer (engine driver). I used to always ride in the front car so I could
watch the signals. I could not tell if the train shown had any trailers
attached. Whoever did the videos did not know how to look for that.

By 1960 almost nothing in NYC was air conditioned, not houses, cars or the
subway either.

Old September 6th 11, 12:30 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

It's a three or four car train, depending on which article you
believe, running express between Times Sq and 96th streets on the 2/3
line, between 2 and 6 PM on weekends in September. *The train is
authentically free of A/C.

Would anyone know of a schedule? Thanks.

It's only two stops in each direction, Times Sq - 72nd - 96th, then
turn around and go back. I expect that if you go to any of those
stations between 2 and 6 next weekend you shouldn't have too long a
wait.

R's,
John

Old September 6th 11, 07:16 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 05/09/2011 23:17, Spyke wrote:
On 05/09/2011 10:12, wrote:
All aboard!: Prohibition-era train steams onto New York subway for
1920s TV series
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lk-Empire.html

It was once the cutting edge of metropolitan travel. For more than 50
years the vintage train has been in retirement. But now the
Prohibition-era engine is to ride the rails once again- to promote a
new TV series set in the glamorous 1920s.

Great photos. But 'engine,' 'steams,' surely train?????

Love to see some footage on YouTube.

If only we could get Sky or ITV to pay that much to restore the LTM's Q
Stock and run that around the network! :-)

Just need to come up with a suitable long-running drama set in that era.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old September 8th 11, 02:13 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Love to see some footage on YouTube.

There are some videos at http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1099197

Michael Wares
Old September 8th 11, 01:06 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Sep 8, 3:13*am, Michael Wares wrote:
Love to see some footage on YouTube.

There are some videos athttp://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1099197

Michael Wares

Thank you - great footage..

I read in a book about the NY Transit System about how these Low-V
cars survived. I'm not sure of the details but the story went
something like this.

In the late 1900s a supervisor had it in mind to scrap all the old
stock, and to tour the depots and sidings to ensure that all had gone.
A consist of Low-Vs had been hidden in railway sidings by staff away
from the prying eyes of those who wanted to scrap them.

One day said supervisor decided to check out rumours of where the cars
were. A member of staff heard about this and decided to get the cars
moved somewhere else. As soon as the supervisor arrived at the place
of rumour the cars were no longer there. Apparently they were moved
around the system in a kind of cat and mouse chase, with amazed
commuters watching the vintage cars pass through the stations. I
believe eventually they were shunted up a disused tunnel spur and left
until discovery many years later.

Once re-discovered they then became the main feature at the Transit
Museum in the disused station at Brooklyn Heights. And it is these
that form the Museum Train being used today.

CJB.