Old January 5th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Large Print Tube Map

Hi all,

I just picked up a (2002) copy of this for the Aged P, and on opening it I
found that it is a large poster, the size of 3*3 A4 sheets! I know it's
supposed to be for people with bad eyes, but this is ridiculous! When I gave
it to her, she pointed out that it is too large to use en route, so she
would now have to plan tube journeys before she leaves home.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 5th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Hi all,

I just picked up a (2002) copy of this for the Aged P, and on opening
it I found that it is a large poster, the size of 3*3 A4 sheets! I know
it's supposed to be for people with bad eyes, but this is ridiculous!
When I gave it to her, she pointed out that it is too large to use en
route, so she would now have to plan tube journeys before she leaves hom

My eyesight is bad. Surely the answer is the correct glasses?
--
clive
Old January 5th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"clive Coleman." typed

In message , John Rowland
writes
Hi all,

I just picked up a (2002) copy of this for the Aged P, and on opening
it I found that it is a large poster, the size of 3*3 A4 sheets! I know
it's supposed to be for people with bad eyes, but this is ridiculous!
When I gave it to her, she pointed out that it is too large to use en
route, so she would now have to plan tube journeys before she leaves hom

My eyesight is bad. Surely the answer is the correct glasses?

Many forms of poor vision cannot be further corrected by spectacles. Low
vision aids may help but can be bulky & cumbersome.

The problem is that the Tube map has many details on it that can only be
seen if magnified quite a bit. A standard Tube Map has lots of *really*
small print. The fold-out maps in the 'Out & About' guides are quite
large (more than 50x50cm) but still use fairly small (?6point?) print.
These are probably the largest that can easily be taken out on a trip.

I'm afraid forward planning might be the only way to go. If Aged P has
access to a computer and the Internet, having the maps needed in .pdf
(downloaded from the TfL website) form which can then be magnified &
displayed on the screen might help at home.

Of course that's no use when travelling though:-(

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 5th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

clive Coleman. wrote:
In message , John Rowland
writes
Hi all,

I just picked up a (2002) copy of this for the Aged P, and on opening
it I found that it is a large poster, the size of 3*3 A4 sheets! I
know it's supposed to be for people with bad eyes, but this is
ridiculous! When I gave it to her, she pointed out that it is too
large to use en route, so she would now have to plan tube journeys
before she leaves hom

My eyesight is bad. Surely the answer is the correct glasses?

It may be the answer for you at present, but many people with bad eyesight
can't have it fully corrected by glasses; for example, the estimated
500,000 people with macular degeneration. More details at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/m...-b/2042906.stm and
http://www.aston.ac.uk/lhs/research/...eneration.html
--
Richard J.

Old January 5th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes

I'm afraid forward planning might be the only way to go. If Aged P has
access to a computer and the Internet, having the maps needed in .pdf
(downloaded from the TfL website) form which can then be magnified &
displayed on the screen might help at home.

Of course that's no use when travelling though:-(

Anyone with eyesight (or any other sort of problem) can ask at the
station for help with travel advice and journey planning.
They can also ask for assistance at interchanges and final destination,
at their station of origin.
The request will be phoned to the station/s concerned. It's standard
practice.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 5th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
"clive Coleman." typed

In message , John Rowland
writes
Hi all,

I just picked up a (2002) copy of this for the Aged P, and on opening
it I found that it is a large poster, the size of 3*3 A4 sheets! I know
it's supposed to be for people with bad eyes, but this is ridiculous!
When I gave it to her, she pointed out that it is too large to use en
route, so she would now have to plan tube journeys before she leaves hom

My eyesight is bad. Surely the answer is the correct glasses?

Many forms of poor vision cannot be further corrected by spectacles. Low
vision aids may help but can be bulky & cumbersome.

As one of the above people, I swear by a pocket magnifier. This just
clips onto a keychain and can be whipped out in two seconds to look at
tube maps, books, whatever.
I don't go anywhere without it these days.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old January 13th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
If Aged P has access to a computer and the Internet, having the maps
needed in .pdf (downloaded from the TfL website) form which can then be
magnified & displayed on the screen might help at home.

Of course that's no use when travelling though:-(

It is of you have a PDA ;-)
--
Andy Mabbett
"The Internet is a reflection of our society[ ...]. If we do not like what we