London Banter

-   -   Baker St.(Met) and Met operations (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12293-baker-st-met-met-operations.html)

[email protected] October 15th 11 03:26 PM

Baker St.(Met) and Met operations

Do the platforms at Baker St. which are used by Met trains heading to/
from Aldgate ever get used for trains which terminate at Baker St.?
Are all the Met platforms at Baker St. used fairly intensively or is
there capacity for a train to be stabled out of use when defective or
as a stand-by?
Do trains stick to Aldgate or "non-Aldgate" services for most of the
day or do they interwork between the two?
What determines which diagrams will be allocated "A Stock" and which
"S Stock"?
Does the Chesham branch work better as a "through" service or should
it have been left as a shuttle?

--
gordon

Don Davis October 15th 11 04:42 PM

wrote in message
Do the platforms at Baker St. which are used by Met trains heading to/
from Aldgate ever get used for trains which terminate at Baker St.?
Are all the Met platforms at Baker St. used fairly intensively or is
there capacity for a train to be stabled out of use when defective or
as a stand-by?
Do trains stick to Aldgate or "non-Aldgate" services for most of the
day or do they interwork between the two?
What determines which diagrams will be allocated "A Stock" and which
"S Stock"?
Does the Chesham branch work better as a "through" service or should
it have been left as a shuttle?

--
gordon

When the Aldgate service was peak hours only in T stock days the through
platforms were certainly used for the off peak terrminators.The station
could not have coped otherwise.
Don Davis

allantracy October 15th 11 05:07 PM

Baker St.(Met) and Met operations

Not sure of the exact proportion, or where from, but yes several Met
services every hour terminate at Baker Street - it may be close to a
third.

Incidentally, those that continue to the city, certainly in the peak,
do not always get as far as Aldgate some terminate at Moorgate as
well.

The Met is also unusual in that, unlike other lines, there is a
concept of fast and slow trains the longer distant Met services being
non-stop over certain sections.

That's maybe where the different types of stock come in useful.

My observations at Aldgate, last I was there, showed the full set of
Met destinations being served so presumably it's a proportion of each
service that terminates at Baker Street.

I always find Baker St to be a bit of a pain, changing and traveling
onwards eastbound, trying to second guess which platform is going to
have the next service.

I just follow the crowd which seems to work.

Peter Able October 15th 11 05:45 PM

wrote in message
Do the platforms at Baker St. which are used by Met trains heading to/
from Aldgate ever get used for trains which terminate at Baker St.?
Are all the Met platforms at Baker St. used fairly intensively or is
there capacity for a train to be stabled out of use when defective or
as a stand-by?
Do trains stick to Aldgate or "non-Aldgate" services for most of the
day or do they interwork between the two?
What determines which diagrams will be allocated "A Stock" and which
"S Stock"?
Does the Chesham branch work better as a "through" service or should
it have been left as a shuttle?

--
gordon

The all-day through services to/from Chesham haven't made a big difference.
Four cars were sufficient and the change at Chalfont isn't (wasn't!)
complicated. One unfortunate outcome might be that it may now be more
difficult to make a refund claim!

It is ironic that a passenger survey was held over the "proposed" changeover
from the shuttle to through services when, once the decision to acquire the
S stock had been made, the decision was surely a fait acconpli.

PA

allantracy October 15th 11 05:54 PM

Baker St.(Met) and Met operations

Four cars were sufficient and the change at Chalfont isn't (wasn't!)
complicated. *

You could probably have made the same argument for the through trains
to Amersham by the time they had emptied out along the way.

Presumably, Chesham is as big a target as Amersham so the split
service makes sense to me if it really is going where enough of the
PAX wan't to go.

I always hate otherwise and the concept so often found in the sate -
the idea that operating convenience should be allowed to trump what
the customer's actually want, often for no very good reason.

Paul Scott[_3_] October 15th 11 06:15 PM

"allantracy" wrote in message
Not sure of the exact proportion, or where from, but yes several Met
services every hour terminate at Baker Street - it may be close to a
third.

But I think the question was whether or not any trains terminate in the
through roads, rather than in the bays. I suspect the through roads can be
used, but it only happens when there are problems, or planned closures
beyond Baker St.

Paul S

[email protected] October 15th 11 07:21 PM

On Oct 15, 5:07*pm, allantracy wrote:
Not sure of the exact proportion, or where from, but yes several Met
services every hour terminate at Baker Street - it may be close to a
third.

Sure, but I'm presuming that they terminate in the dead-end platforms.
What I'm wondering is whether the two "through" platforms *can* be
used for terminating trains (e.g. if services were temporarily
suspended between Baker St. and Aldgate).

I always find Baker St to be a bit of a pain, changing and traveling
onwards eastbound, trying to second guess which platform is going to
have the next service.

Agreed. Paddington can also be a bit irksome. If you're not heading to/
from the mainline station but travelling from say King's Cross you've
the option of changing trains at Edgware Road and getting a convenient
exit at Pad or travelling on a through train which decants you at the
back of beyond in the main station.

--
gordon

allantracy October 15th 11 08:21 PM

On Oct 15, 7:21*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 15, 5:07*pm, allantracy wrote:

Not sure of the exact proportion, or where from, but yes several Met
services every hour terminate at Baker Street - it may be close to a
third.

Sure, but I'm presuming that they terminate in the dead-end platforms.
What I'm wondering is whether the two "through" platforms *can* be
used for terminating trains (e.g. if services were temporarily
suspended between Baker St. and Aldgate).

Yes, seen that done, it may still happen when the service thins out in
the evening hours.

However, during the normal daytime timetable the through platforms
can't be left occupied long enough for a terminating train and the
bays are used instead.

[email protected] October 15th 11 08:28 PM

On Oct 15, 5:54*pm, allantracy wrote:
Presumably, Chesham is as big a target as Amersham so the split
service makes sense to me if it really is going where enough of the
PAX wan't to go.

True. I just wondered whether there had been any perceived diminution
of reliability by Cheshamites used to a self-contained yo-yo-like
operation not subject to the potential for delay which would be more
prone to afflict the odd "through" journey and where the frequency is
low enough to make reference to a timetable a more likely thing than
many other parts of the LU network.

--
gordon

Paul Scott[_3_] October 15th 11 08:35 PM

Baker St.(Met) and Met operations

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

The last I read there were 10 S Stocks available for daily use on the
Met. One of the early units has been temporarily converted to a S7
for testing purposes - it was out and about last weekend between
Barking and Aldgate East.

The latest on District Dave is that from next week the S8s will be randomly
used on any Met service, because they can go anywhere, and enough of the
drivers are fully trained.

Paul S