Old December 2nd 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Fares Increase - January 2nd 2012

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...2_11_fares.pdf

gives the new Tfl fares following this weeks announcement that the
level of the increase is to be cut back to "around" 6%.

Notice that the Oyster PAYG bus fare is now £1.35. I suppose that it
doesn't matter if they have a fare which is not a multiple of 10p if
people don't have to fiddle about with loose change.

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

Old December 2nd 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 06:32:49 -0800 (PST)
Paul wrote:
doesn't matter if they have a fare which is not a multiple of 10p if
people don't have to fiddle about with loose change.

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

Boris was on Radio London this morning waffling on about higher fares being
needed because of MORE passengers using the system. Either the man is a
complete buffoon and has no grasp of even the most basic micro economics or it
was a tacit admission that he's trying to price people off the system.

B2003

Old December 2nd 11, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

Just two years. The 50p differential was there to reflect the fact that a
daily cap on PAYG was not as useful as a day travelcard, because before
then the majority of TOC services did not accept PAYG. The differential was
removed from the date PAYG was extended to all National Rail within the
zones, so that 50p increase wasn't really back door, because you get more
coverage for your money...

Explained in the Mayoral Fares decision letter in the run up to the Jan 2010
changes:

"PAYG will be extended to include National Rail (NR) services within London
from 2 January 2010 and a number of changes to fares and charges will be
made to reflect this. These changes affect the One Day PAYG Caps which will
increase to match Travelcard prices..."

Paul S

Old December 2nd 11, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...2_11_fares.pdf

gives the new Tfl fares following this weeks announcement that the
level of the increase is to be cut back to "around" 6%.

Notice that the Oyster PAYG bus fare is now £1.35. I suppose that it
doesn't matter if they have a fare which is not a multiple of 10p if
people don't have to fiddle about with loose change.

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

Yes, but the reason given is that Oyster Payg can now be used on the
same NR routes that a travelcard can, so there's no justification for a
lower price. A pure TfL day cap would be nice with the 50p discount, but
I don't expect one (did they have to promise not to do that when getting
the mainline TOCs to agree to accept Oyster?).

Old December 2nd 11, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 15:13:11 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
Yes, but the reason given is that Oyster Payg can now be used on the
same NR routes that a travelcard can, so there's no justification for a
lower price. A pure TfL day cap would be nice with the 50p discount, but
I don't expect one (did they have to promise not to do that when getting
the mainline TOCs to agree to accept Oyster?).

It would be fairly simple to modify the software to have a variable cap
depending on whether you've travelled via any NR stations or just used TfL
services. Unlike a paper travelcard a PAYG oyster knows exactly where you've
been and ergo so does TfL so there's no justification for a blanket cap rate
based on the fact that "well if you wanted you could have used national rail".

B2003

Old December 2nd 11, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
...A pure TfL day cap would be nice with the 50p discount, but I don't
expect one (did they have to promise not to do that when getting the
mainline TOCs to agree to accept Oyster?).

But you couldn't practically have two different caps one unless each and
every shared station had separate LU and NR gatelines.

Paul S

Old December 3rd 11, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...2_11_fares.pdf

gives the new Tfl fares following this weeks announcement that the
level of the increase is to be cut back to "around" 6%.

Notice that the Oyster PAYG bus fare is now £1.35. I suppose that it
doesn't matter if they have a fare which is not a multiple of 10p if
people don't have to fiddle about with loose change.

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

wasn't that removed last year (as in for this year's prices)?

tim

Old December 3rd 11, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

Just two years. The 50p differential was there to reflect the fact that a
daily cap on PAYG was not as useful as a day travelcard, because before
then the majority of TOC services did not accept PAYG.

But it's still not *as* "useful". You still have to make sure to avoid all
the crap of getting an unresolved journey because the system is faulty.

Something which you don't have to do with a paper ticket.

tim

Old December 3rd 11, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 2, 2:32*pm, Paul wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...2_11_fares.pdf

gives the new Tfl fares following this weeks announcement that the
level of the increase is to be cut back to "around" 6%.

An interesting development in and of itself, given that central
government doesn't have a formal role in London fares policy. Bearing
in mind the Mayoral election next year, as someone said in the
Standard this was perhaps a case of the Chancellor saving Boris from
himself (the Mayor having been adamant that he was sticking to the
trajectory vis-a-vis 'responsible' fare rises that he set himself on a
few years back).

Notice that the Oyster PAYG bus fare is now £1.35. I suppose that it
doesn't matter if they have a fare which is not a multiple of 10p if
people don't have to fiddle about with loose change.

Though Tube ticket machines stopped accepting 5 pence pieces some time
ago - however pretty sure all National Rail machines that 'do' Oyster
do take 5p pieces.

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. *I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

As others have said, this 50p differential disappeared in Jan 2010
when Oyster PAYG went live across the whole of the National Rail
network in London (logic being that it became equivalent to a Day
Travelcard).
Old December 3rd 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 08:37:06 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:
Something which you don't have to do with a paper ticket.

Then buy one. They are still available.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK