Old January 7th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Do you live above a tube tunnel?

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a report in
March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had sunk by the odd
centimetre.

--
Richard J.

Anybody who wishes to experience this sort of thing only has to pop into the
"Salisbury" pub on Green Lanes between Manor House & Turnpike Lane for a
couple of pints. Sit by the fireplace on the Manor House side of the pub and
revel in the Piccadilly Rumble.
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have

Old January 7th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve" wrote in message
In article , Rob
id writes
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:51:01 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper"
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail

tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when

the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works

directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you

experience
any noise and vibration?

Some long time ago, the Glass Manufacturers Federation had their offices

in
Portland Place.

When in the basement, you could just about hear the Bakerloo line trains
passing below.

You can certainly hear a few feet down to the Hammersmith and City
from the toilets in the Euston Flyer! I seem to recall a friend saying
something similar about somewhere in the centre of town above the
Central Line though...

I used to work in Yalding House in Gt Portland St, and you could hear
the Victoria line in the basement...

And I remember the old (now demolished) cinema at Turnpike Lane, where I
saw Earthquake, with it's special seat-shaking sound, and only realised
that the vibrations I'd been feeling were not the special effects but
tube trains sometime into the film, as they shook the seats more than
the special effects....

--

I used to work for a company that owns several West End theatres, and a fair
number of them suffer from rumblings during performances. The Garrick,

Andrew

Old January 7th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

"Richard J." wrote in message
[...]

The North Star on the Finchley Road is good for this too, the Metropolitan
line runs a few feet below the cellar floor.

Andrew

Old January 7th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:26:15 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail
tunnels are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their
homes when the trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives
or works directly above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel?
If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

I don't live above a tube tunnel. However the Crossrail tunnels are
likely to be far deeper than tube tunnels.

Actually the Crossrail tunnel from the Great Western main line to Chiswick
will be 17 - 18 metres below the surface, which I think is about average
for tube tunnels in London.

Even in Central London, the Crossrail tunnels will run *above* the Jubilee,
Northern, Central, and Piccadilly lines in the Oxford Stret/Holborn area.
There is a vertical section through the central part of the route at
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/80256B090053AF4C/Files/genericpanels/$FILE/central+london+stations.pdf

--
Richard J.

Old January 7th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail
tunnels are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their
homes when the trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives
or works directly above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel?
If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a
report in March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had
sunk by the odd centimetre.

--
Richard J.

Anybody who wishes to experience this sort of thing only has to pop
into the "Salisbury" pub on Green Lanes between Manor House &
Turnpike Lane for a couple of pints. Sit by the fireplace on the
Manor House side of the pub and revel in the Piccadilly Rumble.

Do you know how deep the Piccadilly is at that location?
--
Richard J.

Old January 7th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail
tunnels are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their
homes when the trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives
or works directly above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel?
If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

I don't live above a tube tunnel. However the Crossrail tunnels are
likely to be far deeper than tube tunnels. They will also be
constructed to far higher standards than any tube line in London
barring the recent DLR and JLE tunnels. While I don't think anyone
can provide a guarantee that there will be no noise I would say the
risk from modern infrastructure design and modern rolling stock will
be low. Obvious areas of potential environmental harm will have to be
identified and mitigated / removed in order for the project to
proceed.

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a
report in March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had
sunk by the odd centimetre.

Not aware of any JLE subsidence but there are provisions in the
legislation that allowed construction to put right any damage that is
demonstrably caused by the line. Such provisions are standard
practice and usually put in place to deal with issues raised by
objectors to the scheme.

Before the JLE was built there was a major programme of condition
surveys to record all cracks etc in buildings along the route. This
included much of Whitehall, the Palace of Westminster and Boudica's
statue. This was to ensure that no one was able to claim for
pre-existing problems. (Including presumably the Government).

There was a lot of press nonsense about the effect of the construction
of Westminster station on the Victoria Tower, including from one paper
that did not seem to know the difference between metres and
milli-metres. The effect was less than that during the construction of
the underground car park in the 1970's. The tower moves just as much
between tides in the River Thames!

John

Old January 8th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:

I used to work in Yalding House in Gt Portland St, and you could hear
the Victoria line in the basement...

Probably not a good thing for the current occupants - BBC Radio 1!

Old January 8th 04, 01:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail
tunnels are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their
homes when the trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives
or works directly above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel?
If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a
report in March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had
sunk by the odd centimetre.

--
Richard J.

Anybody who wishes to experience this sort of thing only has to pop
into the "Salisbury" pub on Green Lanes between Manor House &
Turnpike Lane for a couple of pints. Sit by the fireplace on the
Manor House side of the pub and revel in the Piccadilly Rumble.

Do you know how deep the Piccadilly is at that location?

Ain't got a clue I'm afraid...

Old January 8th 04, 02:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Not quite what you asked, but last year I occasionally used to frequent a
house in Hunter Street, King's Cross, where the rumbling of passing
Piccadilly Line trains could be heard. Only faintly, but it was there.

Old January 8th 04, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

I used to work in Yalding House in Gt Portland St, and you could hear
the Victoria line in the basement...

Probably not a good thing for the current occupants - BBC Radio 1!

Hmm, I wondered what that irritating noise was.

--
Brian
"What's the point in growing up if you can't behave like a kid when you want