Old January 8th 12, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could it happen here...??

In uk.railway Lüko Willms twisted the electrons to say:
Today the
outside border of Fortress Europe is as strongly guarded as the GDR-FRG
border was before, but with more deaths caused than in the four decades
of the division of Germany (organised by the capitalist class and their
foreign allies).

Oh really? Can you tell us the locations on the borders of the EU where
the minefields, spring-guns and watchtowers manned by rifle toting border
guards with orders to shoot-to-kill are?

Old January 8th 12, 10:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 08/01/2012 21:14, Alistair Gunn wrote:
In uk.railway Lüko Willms twisted the electrons to say:
Today the
outside border of Fortress Europe is as strongly guarded as the GDR-FRG
border was before, but with more deaths caused than in the four decades
of the division of Germany (organised by the capitalist class and their
foreign allies).

Oh really? Can you tell us the locations on the borders of the EU where
the minefields, spring-guns and watchtowers manned by rifle toting border
guards with orders to shoot-to-kill are?

They might have gone, but Greece had mines

There is tight security on the bits of Spain physically situated in
Africa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla_border_fence

These are to keep people out, rather than in.

The Finnish border had a cleared strip and fences when I passed, I
suspect there might be tight security there?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 8th 12, 10:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

In uk.railway Arthur Figgis twisted the electrons to say:
There is tight security on the bits of Spain physically situated in
Africa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla_border_fence

Ah, yes ... The wonderfully inconsistent part of Spanish policy! It's
only wrong for a country to have an exclave within another country if the
second country is Spain?

But I stand corrected on the mines issue ...

The Finnish border had a cleared strip and fences when I passed, I
suspect there might be tight security there?

Presumably that the Finnish-Russian border? Or do the same conditions
apply at the Finnish-Norwegian one too? (Honest question, I could see
reasons why it could be either way now I think about it.)
Old January 9th 12, 07:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 08/01/2012 22:48, Alistair Gunn wrote:
In uk.railway Arthur Figgis twisted the electrons to say:
There is tight security on the bits of Spain physically situated in
Africa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla_border_fence

Ah, yes ... The wonderfully inconsistent part of Spanish policy! It's
only wrong for a country to have an exclave within another country if the
second country is Spain?

And there is also a little bit of Spain entirely within France.

But I stand corrected on the mines issue ...

The Finnish border had a cleared strip and fences when I passed, I
suspect there might be tight security there?

Presumably that the Finnish-Russian border?

Yup.

Or do the same conditions
apply at the Finnish-Norwegian one too? (Honest question, I could see
reasons why it could be either way now I think about it.)

Don't know.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 9th 12, 09:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/01/2012 22:48, Alistair Gunn wrote:
In uk.railway Arthur Figgis twisted the electrons to say:
There is tight security on the bits of Spain physically
situated in
Africa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla_border_fence

Ah, yes ... The wonderfully inconsistent part of Spanish
policy! It's
only wrong for a country to have an exclave within another
country if the
second country is Spain?

And there is also a little bit of Spain entirely within France.

Not Spain / France, but here's a very strange border situation:
http://enclaves.webs.com/westerneurope.htm

--
MatSav

Old January 9th 12, 11:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

"Lüko Willms" wrote in message

Am 07.01.2012 22:39, schrieb :
So, there was literally no border control on the West Berlin side
when crossing from East Berlin? Nobody even checking passports?

Well, for people crossing to the West at Bahnhof Friedrichstraße,
they would have to police all exits from S-Bahn stations, or have
their controls directly inside the Bahnhof Friedrichstraße. See e.g.
the Swiss border post at the exit from the platform at Basel
Badischer Bahnhof.
I don't know if Westberlin had ever been offered to set up such a
control post, but accepting it would have meant to openly discard
their legal fictions, which Herr Schwanke is always confusing with
reality.
I am not sure about the street crossings. I can't remember any
systematic controls when coming back from Berlin Hauptstadt into
Westberlin, but there might have been a police post, checking
everybody looking suspicious (dark complexion being a typical
incentive...). At the well know crossing Friedrichstraße (reserved
for non-German foreigners, maybe even for the occupation personnel)
there was a US-american military post. But I was, of course, not
allowed to cross there...

Is that Checkpoint Charlie? Incidentally, I see there's a mini version
of the old US border post still there, with actors posing as US guards,
who'll pose in pics with tourists for a fee. But there's no sign of the
old Soviet checkpoint.

Old January 9th 12, 12:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

In message , at 11:32:23 on
Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Recliner remarked:
Is that Checkpoint Charlie? Incidentally, I see there's a mini version
of the old US border post still there, with actors posing as US guards,
who'll pose in pics with tourists for a fee. But there's no sign of the
old Soviet checkpoint.

I was there about ten years ago and the tour guide pointed out (where
they claimed) the soviet post was, on a bit of bombsite at the time I
think. These photos show the original checkpoint (none of which are
exactly like the current pastiche:

http://www.western-allies-berlin.com...oints/charlie/
charlie

The second picture has the East German checkpoint too.
Old January 9th 12, 04:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 08.01.2012 23:48, schrieb Alistair Gunn:

The Finnish border had a cleared strip and fences when I passed, I
suspect there might be tight security there?

Presumably that the Finnish-Russian border? Or do the same conditions
apply at the Finnish-Norwegian one too? (Honest question, I could see
reasons why it could be either way now I think about it.)

That is within the Scandinavian free travel area, within Fortress
Europe.

The most deaths, presumably, are in the Mediterranean Sea. The
European Union had a treaty with the Ghaddhafi ruled Libya, that Libya
would set up prison camps for those would be emigrants to Fortress
Europe. I guess the current rules (all warring factions) would continue
this agreement, since they owe their power to the bombing campaigns of
the colonialist powers.

L.W.
Old January 9th 12, 04:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 08.01.2012 19:42, schrieb Wolfgang Schwanke:

West Berliners could get an FRG passport without any trick. They were
issued by West Berlin authorities. This passport was acceptable in all
non-Eastern bloc countries.

I am quite sure that they could not get an FRG passport from the
Westberlin Senat. The occupation forces were very keen on keeping the
legal separation between Westberlin and the FRG. Even the postal stamps
of Westberlin were different.

L.W.

Old January 9th 12, 04:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 09.01.2012 13:26, schrieb Roland Perry:

Is that Checkpoint Charlie?

Yes. I wanted to add that slang name, too, but forgot. Sorry!

think. These photos show the original checkpoint (none of which are
exactly like the current pastiche:

http://www.western-allies-berlin.com...oints/charlie/
charlie

that gives me an error 403, "forbidden"
Maybe this works:

http://www.western-allies-berlin.com/installations/checkpoints/charlie/charlie#img

The second picture has the East German checkpoint too.

The direct link to this image is

http://www.western-allies-berlin.com/installations/checkpoints/charlie/img/checkpoint-charlie-1.jpg

Cheeers,
L.W.