Old January 27th 12, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Post Office Railway - mothballed?

wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:52:47 +0000, Sam Wilson
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

It would be nice to use it for a narrow-gauge crossrail, with through
trains
between the Festiniog and the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch (OK, I
know the gauges are different..).

Just thing of the fun to be had with gauge changing!

Sam

We should use stock with telescopic axles that can change gauge on the
move, as in Spain.

Nothing new about that. Done in the UK, in the 20's or 30's.

__
Ian

Old January 27th 12, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

" wrote:

Yes, I think that I have seen pictures of one in Ontario, in Canada.
That'd be cool to have that in Britain, but three words come to mind
that will undoubtedly ruin the whole concept.

Any guesses?

H&S. ;-)

Old January 27th 12, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 27/01/2012 21:49, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

Yes, I think that I have seen pictures of one in Ontario, in Canada.
That'd be cool to have that in Britain, but three words come to mind
that will undoubtedly ruin the whole concept.

Any guesses?

H&S. ;-)

It's almost a given, isn't it?
Old January 28th 12, 03:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Yes, I think that I have seen pictures of one in Ontario, in Canada.
That'd be cool to have that in Britain, but three words come to mind
that will undoubtedly ruin the whole concept.

Any guesses?

H&S. ;-)

It's almost a given, isn't it?

It is, and it's a shame, but you can imagine a very long list of
reasons why that could not possibly be allowed to happen here.

Old January 28th 12, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Yes, I think that I have seen pictures of one in Ontario, in Canada.
That'd be cool to have that in Britain, but three words come to mind
that will undoubtedly ruin the whole concept.

Any guesses?

H&S. ;-)

It's almost a given, isn't it?

It is, and it's a shame, but you can imagine a very long list of
reasons why that could not possibly be allowed to happen here.

I'm sure I could. How much does that list need to correspond with
reality in H&S' case, though, I wonder?

Old January 28th 12, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Yes, I think that I have seen pictures of one in Ontario, in Canada.
That'd be cool to have that in Britain, but three words come to mind
that will undoubtedly ruin the whole concept.

Any guesses?

H&S. ;-)

It's almost a given, isn't it?

It is, and it's a shame, but you can imagine a very long list of
reasons why that could not possibly be allowed to happen here.

I'm sure I could. How much does that list need to correspond with
reality in H&S' case, though, I wonder?

It depends on whose definition of reality you adopt. The paranoid H&S
people believe in their version of reality. I'm not sure I do.

Some H&S intervention should be welcomed. The HSE people have worked
wonders in the construction industry and have saved hundreds of lives.
I would not want to turn the clock back to the 1970s.

But it is in other areas that H&S appears to have gone mad, with the
lamination of all risk of any kind seemingly their objective. Local
authorities seem particularly badly afflicted, with schools being a
particular bone of contention.
Old January 28th 12, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:13:24 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

between the Festiniog and the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch (OK, I
know the gauges are different..).

Just thing of the fun to be had with gauge changing!

Sam

We should use stock with telescopic axles that can change gauge on the
move, as in Spain.

Nothing new about that. Done in the UK, in the 20's or 30's.

__
Ian

Any details? Only UK example I can recall was the service between
the Leeds and Bradford Tram networks where some cars could swap
between std and 4ft Gauge. ISTR this was in the early 1900's and
wasn't that reliable and the practice had stopped by WW1.

G.Harman

That's the one. (I was a bit out with the dates maybe....).
http://www.mylearning.org/inventions...adford/p-2113/

Old January 28th 12, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
SB SB is offline

On Jan 27, 12:15*pm, CJB wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:24*am, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:21:10 -0800 (PST), Mizter T

wrote:

On Jan 26, 11:04*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:

wrote

So, what is Mail Rail's ultimate fate, then?

It deserves a new use.

Could be used to help redistribute 'Boris bikes' to different docking
stations around central London.

(I only throw that in there for the potential amusement factor lest
Bozza finds himself racking his brain for a new use for it, and coming
up with that as his latest wheeze...)

Otherwise, rubber dinghy rapids.

I was musing that an underground Draisine line could be a tourist
attraction but hadn't the nerve to suggest it *but in company with
dinghy rapids what the heck.

For those who are unfamiliar with what a Draisine ishttp://www.bretagne35.com/uk/explore/sport-and-leisure/velo-rail-drai...
features a French one,there are a few others abroad and considering
the enthusiasm for old railways in Britain I find it surprising
something similar has never been done.

G.Harman

The Kiwis are supposed to be setting up the same kind of thing on the
Hamilton to/from Rotorua line. Also there is talk of doing the same on
the Stratford to Tahora line.

Not sure of the links though. Or even if the schemes got off the
ground STS (so to speak).

CJB

http://www.voxy.co.nz/lifestyle/rail...first/5/110281

http://railcruising.com/site/webpage...cruising-story