Old February 1st 12, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Post Office Railway - mothballed?

wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:56:48 +0000, Bruce
wrote:
Martyn H wrote:
On Jan 28, 7:07*pm, Bruce wrote:
Some H&S intervention should be welcomed. *The HSE people have worked
wonders in the construction industry and have saved hundreds of lives.

very little of the 'elf'n'safetygornmadinnit' comes from the HSE and
much of it would be seen as overkill by a properly trained H+S
practitioner or HSE inspector, but while people think a short course
makes them a H+S practitioner ...

Indeed, the head of the HSE recently went public to explain that most
of the recent H&S nonsense was not the responsibility of HSE.

As you say, the problem comes with people who are given responsibility
for H&S in organisations that don't provide adequate training. They
then feel they have to be proactive in order to justify their job
title ...

Another problem is that while H&S should be the responsibility of
everyone in an organisation, and organisations should ingrain that
attitude into all their staff,

For a time I was the H&S rep at work. What soon became obvious that a
small number of my colleagues would attempt to use H&S as excuse to
attempt to have an easy life and not do the job they were being paid
to do.
We operated a sensible policy in respect of lifting things that could
not repaired on site mainly refrigeration equipment. That meant that
in some cases the same object could be moved by one person if a sack
truck could be got to it and wheeled to a tail lift or it may need two
if access was awkward. It was interesting that it was always the same
people that always required assistance in the Morning and would wait
happily for an hour or so drinking tea while a colleague made their
way to them ,yet in the afternoon seemed to move anything and finish
early rather than wait and go home a bit late despite that being part
of the job providing it did not happen every day.
Time again I warned them that if it genuinely needed two then doing it
by themselves would not look good in any injury claim as they had
broken procedures.
Like herding cats it was.

It is the ingrained duty of the British working class (oxymoron
alert!) to do as little work as possible, and to use every available
excuse - and then some - to reduce the amount of work still further.

Old February 1st 12, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 12:50:34 +0000
Bruce wrote:
It is the ingrained duty of the British working class (oxymoron
alert!) to do as little work as possible, and to use every available
excuse - and then some - to reduce the amount of work still further.

Which is why the Polish have taken their jobs. Tough.

B2003

Old February 1st 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2012\02\01 12:48, Bruce wrote:
Paul wrote:

In , Bruce
writes

That's good to hear. Any idea where they might be going for display?

I'm pretty sure its the BPMA museum store at Debden (which is only open
for about one day a month, and I'd check in advance that the rolling
stock is actually going to be on display):

http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/page/museum

Thanks!

It should really be in London's Transport Museum - freight is transport too.
Old February 1st 12, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul wrote:

In , Bruce
writes

That's good to hear. Any idea where they might be going for display?

I'm pretty sure its the BPMA museum store at Debden (which is only open
for about one day a month, and I'd check in advance that the rolling
stock is actually going to be on display):

http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/page/museum

Thanks!

It should really be in London's Transport Museum - freight is transport
too.

Except it was never operated by London Transport or it's predecessors or
successors

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old February 1st 12, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul wrote:

In , Bruce
writes

That's good to hear. Any idea where they might be going for display?

I'm pretty sure its the BPMA museum store at Debden (which is only open
for about one day a month, and I'd check in advance that the rolling
stock is actually going to be on display):

http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/page/museum

Thanks!

It should really be in London's Transport Museum - freight is transport
too.

Except it was never operated by London Transport or it's predecessors or
successors

And the museum is the London Transport Museum not London's transport
museum.

Old February 1st 12, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

On 01/02/2012 14:24, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
It should really be in London's Transport Museum - freight is transport
too.

Except it was never operated by London Transport or it's predecessors or
successors

And the museum is the London Transport Museum not London's transport
museum.

Though it *was* called "London's Transport Museum" for a period from
2002 to 2007, reverting back to "London Transport Museum" when it re-
opened after a redesign.

From the 'LT Museum - about us' webpage:

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/about-us/a-brief-history
"In 2002, London Transport became Transport for London and, to reflect
this, the Museum changed its name to London's Transport Museum."
Old February 4th 12, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 01/02/2012 10:35, Bruce wrote:
wrote:
Bruce, that's probably the best summing up of the H&S situation in
this country I've read in ages.

Thanks. ;-)

With regards to mail rail, the Post Office Museum extracted various
elements of early rolling stock a little while back (via a crane at
Mount Pleasant) for preservation. Looking forward to seeing them
cleaned up a bit.

That's good to hear. Any idea where they might be going for display?

But what is going to happen with Mail Rail itself? Any prospect of
bringing it back into service, considering London traffic and emission
zones?

Actually, how long is the Mt. Pleasant sorting going to continue operating?
Old February 4th 12, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul wrote:

In , Bruce
writes

That's good to hear. Any idea where they might be going for display?

I'm pretty sure its the BPMA museum store at Debden (which is only open
for about one day a month, and I'd check in advance that the rolling
stock is actually going to be on display):

http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/page/museum

Thanks!

It should really be in London's Transport Museum - freight is transport
too.

I know that the Metropolitan line used to carry freight eons ago.

Are they considering this as a prospect? Other cities in Europe use
their tram networks for freight, such as Amsterdam and Dresden.
Old February 4th 12, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Martyn H wrote:
On Jan 28, 7:07 pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Yes, "Health and Safety" and "Security" are two blanket reasons for not
permitting something. Both can be perfectly valid, but they are also
open to abuse: some people use them to mean "we can't be bothered to do
it so we'll cite one of these excuses". When I'm faced with H&S or
Security reasons, I challenge the person to describe *exactly* what the
issues are and whether the person is applying the *minimum* restriction
that is necessary.

I lost all faith in H&S when our H&S rep at work sanctioned a temporary
scaffolding tower 60 feet high and about 10 feet square to be erected in
our two-storey computer hall so a fluorescent tube could be replaced,
when the tower was placed a couple of feet from a solid door (no window
in it) that was a signed fire exit. When one of us opened the door and
it hit the tower, we phoned the H&S guy who came to look and said "yes,
that's OK". He didn't even demand a warning sign or temporary closure of
the door and signing of an alternate route (there was another door
fairly close by).

Lax H&S when restrictions are clearly needed gives H&S a bad name just
as much as over-zealous restrictions when none is needed.

I've heard of one gas when the gasman came to read a meter, although it
was mounted high up and required a ladder. When the resident of the
house offered to get a small step ladder, the gasman refused on grounds
that it was unsafe and that he needed proper training.

In reality, however, it was just a simple stepladder.