London Banter

-   -   Post Office Railway - mothballed? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12875-post-office-railway-mothballed.html)

CJB January 25th 12 03:25 PM

Post Office Railway - mothballed?

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

Recliner[_2_] January 25th 12 03:27 PM

"CJB" wrote in message

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

I think Crossrail will kill it off for good.

[email protected] January 25th 12 03:44 PM

Post Office Railway - mothballed?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:27:55 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

I think Crossrail will kill it off for good.

Will it breech the tunnels?

B2003

Paul Rigg[_4_] January 25th 12 04:29 PM

Post Office Railway - mothballed?

Will it breech the tunnels?

There was certainly a comment a few years ago that crossrail would be a lot
more expensive if it didnt breach the tunnels . Presumably they are going
ahead with the version that does.

My understanding was that the main reason it closed was because the
facilities served by many of the "stations" were no longer used.

Guy Gorton[_2_] January 25th 12 04:43 PM

Post Office Railway - mothballed?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:25:32 -0800 (PST), CJB
wrote:

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

Before closure, it was open to organised visits. Fascinating system.

Guy Gorton

Roland Perry January 25th 12 04:46 PM

Post Office Railway - mothballed?

In message , at 17:29:26 on
Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Paul Rigg remarked:

There was certainly a comment a few years ago that crossrail would be a
lot more expensive if it didnt breach the tunnels . Presumably they
are going ahead with the version that does.

I'm sure I've seen some plans which either confirm or deny a breach in
the Farringdon (Mt Pleasant) area. But I can't find them currently.

My understanding was that the main reason it closed was because the
facilities served by many of the "stations" were no longer used.

The Royal Mail changed their whole distribution strategy to out-of-town
depots.

Paul Scott[_3_] January 25th 12 04:51 PM

"Recliner" wrote in message

I think Crossrail will kill it off for good.

I believe Crossrail was designed to avoid it - you can see the separate
route of the 'Mail Rail' tunnels on various Crossrail drawings I've got
downloaded.

Paul

Phil Cook January 25th 12 04:59 PM

wrote:

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

Before closure, it was open to organised visits. Fascinating system.

After closure it was open to some clandestine visitors...

http://www.silentuk.com/?p=2792
--
Phil Cook

Charles Ellson January 25th 12 05:47 PM

Post Office Railway - mothballed?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:46:56 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:29:26 on
Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Paul Rigg remarked:

There was certainly a comment a few years ago that crossrail would be a
lot more expensive if it didnt breach the tunnels . Presumably they
are going ahead with the version that does.

I'm sure I've seen some plans which either confirm or deny a breach in
the Farringdon (Mt Pleasant) area. But I can't find them currently.

My understanding was that the main reason it closed was because the
facilities served by many of the "stations" were no longer used.

The Royal Mail changed their whole distribution strategy to out-of-town
depots.

..
e.g. the big shed in Willesden yard.

Offramp January 25th 12 05:51 PM