Old February 22nd 12, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Trip report: Stratford

I had some time to spare today, so I thought I'd have a look round
Stratford. Arrived by Overground and took the "Westfield" exit direct
into the shopping mall. Which is far bigger than I was expecting.

Walked through to the entrance of the Olympic Park, and I can see what
people mean by visitors being "channelled" past the shops. Although you
can do most of it outdoors if you want.

Not far away from the park entrance is the International station, and I
enquired if I could use my [outboundary] Travelcard to get back to St
Pancras. Apparently not; "This is a premium service Sir". I knew that,
but just wanted to hear what they said.

So what about a supplement?

They said they can only upgrade Travelcards that aren't valid on HS1. By
which they mean say "Not HS1" - if it says "Any Permitted" then it's
also not valid on HS1, but can't be upgraded. (Everyone following this?)

But the ~£5 supplement (if you have one of these "Not HS1" Travelcards
which are apparently issued from stations in Kent) is about the same as
buying a complete new ticket, and the supplemented Travlecard is only
valid for one return trip from Stratford to St Pancras, whereas a
genuine "&HS1" (or whatever it's called Travelcard could be used for as
many trips as you wanted.

On the way out, I went all the way through the crescent-shaped shopping
centre again, and this time encountered the bridge over the tracks with
the "open air" escalators on the south side. From that side the station
is completely transformed from what I knew before, with a low-level
atrium for the N-S lines (Overground being W-E and upstairs).

Overall, the Olympic Park is much further away from Stratford Station
than I was expecting - ten minutes walk perhaps. Nothing like North
Greenwich and the Dome.

Old February 22nd 12, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:27:57 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
They said they can only upgrade Travelcards that aren't valid on

HS1. By
which they mean say "Not HS1" - if it says "Any Permitted" then

it's
also not valid on HS1, but can't be upgraded. (Everyone following

this?)

HS1 is not part of the Zones (same as, say, Heathrow Express), so I
think they are confused. The route on a Travelcard refers to use
outside the Zones.

So what they mean is they can upgrade "not HS1" outboundary
Travelcards from that side of things.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old February 22nd 12, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
20:45:38 on Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
They said they can only upgrade Travelcards that aren't valid on HS1.
By which they mean say "Not HS1" - if it says "Any Permitted" then
it's also not valid on HS1, but can't be upgraded. (Everyone
following this?)

HS1 is not part of the Zones (same as, say, Heathrow Express), so I
think they are confused.

Does that mean there's actually no such thing as an "&HS1" Travelcard?

If they'd said HS1 was outside the zones (which now you mention it I
probably know) it would have made the conversation much simpler.

The route on a Travelcard refers to use outside the Zones.

So what they mean is they can upgrade "not HS1" outboundary Travelcards
from that side of things.

It's not so much an upgrade, as a supplement for one ride on the HS1.
Maybe it *is* just the same as buying a new ticket?
Old February 22nd 12, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:52:06 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
Does that mean there's actually no such thing as an "&HS1"

Travelcard?

AIUI correct.

It's not so much an upgrade, as a supplement for one ride on the

HS1.
Maybe it *is* just the same as buying a new ticket?

I think it may well be.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old February 23rd 12, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
They said they can only upgrade Travelcards that aren't valid on
HS1. By which they mean say "Not HS1" - if it says "Any
Permitted" then it's also not valid on HS1, but can't
be upgraded. (Everyone following this?)

HS1 is not part of the Zones (same as, say, Heathrow Express), so I
think they are confused. *The route on a Travelcard refers to use
outside the Zones.

So what they mean is they can upgrade "not HS1" outboundary
Travelcards from that side of things.

I concur with this analysis.

Old February 23rd 12, 12:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Does that mean there's actually no such thing as an "&HS1"
Travelcard?

AIUI correct.

In terms of inboundary Travelcards, yes I agree. (For an outboundary
Travelcard - from say Ashford or Dover, it'll either be "Route: any
permitted" and so valid on HS1, or "Route: Not HS1" but upgradable for
travel on HS1 with a supplement.

It's not so much an upgrade, as a supplement for one ride on the
HS1. Maybe it *is* just the same as buying a new ticket?

I think it may well be.

Ditto.

For Stratford Int'l to St Pancras Int'l...

Anytime Single - GBP5.70.
Anytime Day Return - GBP9.80
Off Peak Day Return - GBP7.30

There's no way of upgrading an inboundary Travelcard (nor indeed an
outboundary Travelcard for a journey that would never go via HS1 even
on payment of a supplement, e.g. Reading to London Travelcard, or
Cambridge to London Travelcard).

Those with an inboundary Travelcard don't get any special benefits or
discounts if they want to travel from Stratford to St Pancras (or vice
versa) on HS1 - they need to buy a single, day return or season as
required.
Old February 23rd 12, 01:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

If some LUL services went up the spout. I wonder if "tickets and
travelcards will be valid on HS1 trains"?
Old February 23rd 12, 05:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 22, 7:27*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

I had some time to spare today, so I thought I'd have a look round
Stratford. Arrived by Overground and took the "Westfield" exit direct
into the shopping mall. Which is far bigger than I was expecting.

Verily, verily I say unto you. Westfield is a nightmare. I felt
claustrophobic and had to get out, which took about 5 minutes.
And why call it Westfield?
Stuck for a name, ay?

I would have called it the New East London Home for the Terminally
Thick.
LOROL!!
Old February 23rd 12, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And why call it Westfield?
Stuck for a name, ay?

It's just one of a vast chain of malls from the Westfield group - see
http://www.westfield.com/corporate/

The full name of Startford's is "Westfield Stratford City" to
distinguish it from all the others.

Locally I'm increasingly hearing (and using) "Stratfield".
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old February 23rd 12, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
17:31:38 on Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Mizter T remarked:

wrote:
Does that mean there's actually no such thing as an "&HS1"
Travelcard?

AIUI correct.

In terms of inboundary Travelcards, yes I agree. (For an outboundary
Travelcard - from say Ashford or Dover, it'll either be "Route: any
permitted" and so valid on HS1, or "Route: Not HS1" but upgradable for
travel on HS1 with a supplement.

The chap at the station specifically said that an outboundary Travelcard
marked "Any Permitted" was *not* valid on HS1. He looked at that part of
mine, and didn't even read where it was issued (because he asked that
later). He said that (eg) Ashford ones would have some sort of "&HS1"
routing (I forget the exact phrase).

It's not so much an upgrade, as a supplement for one ride on the
HS1. Maybe it *is* just the same as buying a new ticket?

I think it may well be.

Ditto.

For Stratford Int'l to St Pancras Int'l...

Anytime Single - GBP5.70.
Anytime Day Return - GBP9.80
Off Peak Day Return - GBP7.30

I have a feeling he quoted £5.30, bicbw.

There's no way of upgrading an inboundary Travelcard (nor indeed an
outboundary Travelcard for a journey that would never go via HS1 even
on payment of a supplement, e.g. Reading to London Travelcard, or
Cambridge to London Travelcard).

Indeed, but what about a supplement, to add a one-shot HS1 trip?