Old May 26th 12, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Clock on a stick in Chessington

A bus stop in Moor Lane has its own clock. Does anyone know why? The
time on it was correct when I was there, so someone is maintaining it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.3635...73.8 5,,1,2.9

Old May 27th 12, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 26, 9:17*am, Basil Jet wrote:
A bus stop in Moor Lane has its own clock. Does anyone know why? The
time on it was correct when I was there, so someone is maintaining it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.3635...002026,0.00482....

How long has it been there? The obvious thought is that it would
relate to timekeeping. But, that would not be the way to go with the
technology now available.

I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?
Old May 27th 12, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?
Old May 29th 12, 11:05 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?
I live around the corner from the bus stop, and it was always in full working order everyday I went to school at Moor Lane from 1985 - 1989.

Even back then I was told it was a pretty old clock.

That piece of land has been a bus stop for at least 40 years, almost certainly longer. Before route 71 came into existence, the 65 ran from Chessington Zoo to Ealing Broadway and served this stop on the Chessington-bound journey.
Old May 29th 12, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 27/05/2012 09:41, e27002 wrote:

On May 26, 9:17 am, Basil wrote:
A bus stop in Moor Lane has its own clock. Does anyone know why? The
time on it was correct when I was there, so someone is maintaining it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.3635...002026,0.00482...

How long has it been there? The obvious thought is that it would
relate to timekeeping. But, that would not be the way to go with the
technology now available.

I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?

No. Next question...

Old May 30th 12, 06:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?

No. Next question...

Umm... Can you eat it?
Old May 30th 12, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\05\30 07:49, Offramp wrote:

I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?

No. Next question...

Umm... Can you eat it?

You can, but it has a tendency to repeat on you every 12 hours.
Old May 30th 12, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 30, 7:49*am, Offramp wrote:
I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?

No. Next question...

Umm... Can you eat it?

You can be sure the African American with the gold bling with have a
retort to that. Somebody be ready with the laughter clip.

Old February 28th 21, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/05/2012 00:05, Annoyed of London wrote:
Offramp;130678 Wrote:
It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?

Well it looks like it could be newer than the footpath's surfacing. Note
the patching.

I live around the corner from the bus stop, and it was always in ful
working order everyday I went to school at Moor Lane from 1985 - 1989.

Even back then I was told it was a pretty old clock.

That piece of land has been a bus stop for at least 40 years, almos
certainly longer. Before route 71 came into existence, the 65 ran fro
Chessington Zoo to Ealing Broadway and served this stop on th
Chessington-bound journey

Your mention of route 65 reminds me of the conductor training at
Chiswick - 50+ years ago. The 65's fare chart was used during initial
training - and as part of the final, pass-out test. In those days the
route was Ealing Argyle Road to Norbiton. Many careers foundered - and
many more should have - over route 65...;}

PA