Old June 2nd 12, 06:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
SB SB is offline

Default Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

Surprisingly this is a topic missed by the Group.

And what a great line it is turning out to be. This morning we went to
Epping on the Central Line where we were picked up by a Green Line
Routemaster. Great ride through Epping. It was one of those buses with
the little handles on the top deck to wind down the windows.

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

But the highlight of the trip was talking to the volunteer staff. Very
friendly, informative, and "thank you for visiting us."

We got a look into the emaculately restored (or being worked upon)
signal boxes. And the stations have had some great restoration work
done on them.

The coaching stock was a bit grubby but what would you expect being ex-
BR.

If you are in London then do take a trip on this great little line.

SB

Old June 2nd 12, 06:13 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 2, 7:02*pm, SB wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an interesting line to visit.

Is there anything of Tube, or LT interest?

Old June 2nd 12, 06:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, SB
writes
Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

Is Blake Hall open?
--
Clive
Old June 2nd 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 02/06/2012 19:58, Clive wrote:
In message
, SB
writes
Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

Is Blake Hall open?

Good and gone.
Old June 2nd 12, 08:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 02/06/2012 19:02, SB wrote:
[...]

For how long had it not been operating?

I took a ride on the line in 2005 and I remember that the track was in
such a state that there really was quite a lot of lateral motion.

They said that they were hoping to eventually build an extension into
Ongar, perhaps to share one track of the station with it. Has anything
ever come of that?

I remember also hearing that they wanted to build a station at
Coopersale, where passnegers could exit. The situation in 2005 was that
it was simply a place to turn trains.

Old June 2nd 12, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I was there last weekend and very impressive it was. A lot of money
has clearly been spent as the railway is in a pretty good state and
the quality of restoration is high. While the signalling is not quite
there yet, and the footbridge at North Weald is incomplete, the
experience is definitely not that of a typical newly-opened line. I'll
definitely be back for their olympic three train service - presumably
they'll need the signalling working for that.

And, as others have said, they were friendly and helpful everywhere.

While I was there, I walked from Ongar to North Weald looking at the
various public crossing points. If anyone's interested in the pics
they are at :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpent...7629915203454/
Old June 4th 12, 04:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

How much is it?
Old June 4th 12, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 21:27:08 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

How much is it?

Click on your chosen date and you will find the fa
http://eorailway.co.uk/your-visit/timetables-and-fares/
Old June 5th 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 02/06/12 19:02, SB wrote:
Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Ian
Old June 5th 12, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:24:54 on Tue, 5 Jun 2012,
The Real Doctor remarked:
Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Clearance under the M11 bridge?