Old June 19th 12, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't fly BA during the Olympics

I've heard that BA are launching a marketing campaign today, aimed at
persuading Brits to "stay at home" during the Olympics.

It's one way of keeping Terminal 5 from clogging up, I suppose.

Apparently some of their colleagues in the travel trade are not
impressed, in case it's taken as a more general plea to the public not
to take holidays during that period. And after all, the tidal flow of
Brits fleeing the country is exactly opposite to that of the athletes
and spectators.

Old June 19th 12, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I've heard that BA are launching a marketing campaign today, aimed at
persuading Brits to "stay at home" during the Olympics.

It's one way of keeping Terminal 5 from clogging up, I suppose.

Apparently some of their colleagues in the travel trade are not impressed,
in case it's taken as a more general plea to the public not to take
holidays during that period. And after all, the tidal flow of Brits
fleeing the country is exactly opposite to that of the athletes and
spectators.

Why not have a look at the advert for yourself and make your own mind up
http://www.youtube.com/user/flybriti...e=results_main

If you "like" BA on Facebook there's a version on there that asks for your
post code and then replaces the bit where the plane goes over a road hump
with some Streetview? footage out of the window as the plane taxis down your
street. I hate to think how it got past my house, the lane is only wide
enough for a car and has high hedges and even buildings right by the road!!!

Old June 19th 12, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:10:27 on
Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Why not have a look at the advert for yourself and make your own mind
up http://www.youtube.com/user/flybriti...e=results_main

The first part seems to be making a connection between BA and London,
for foreigners. Then it ends with the "Don't Fly" message which can only
be aimed at Brits.

Very odd.
Old June 19th 12, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:10:27 on Tue,
19 Jun 2012, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Why not have a look at the advert for yourself and make your own mind up
http://www.youtube.com/user/flybriti...e=results_main

The first part seems to be making a connection between BA and London, for
foreigners. Then it ends with the "Don't Fly" message which can only be
aimed at Brits.

Very odd.

It doesn't make you think that BA is supporting Team GB?

Old June 19th 12, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:59:45 on
Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
I think the video is excellent and I don't normally say that about BA
adverts. The concept is surely about "Britishness" and just asking
Brits to patriotically support the GB Olympics team. And of course
BA want millions of visitors to fly with them to the UK! Seems simple
enough to me.

So why have the "Don't Fly" slogan. It's simply bizarre.

Old June 19th 12, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:43:23 on
Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Graham Harrison
remarked:
It doesn't make you think that BA is supporting Team GB?

Not particularly. If the plane had been the golden "torch carrier", then
that would be more likely to make me think BA was "part of the team".
Old June 19th 12, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:59:45 on
Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
I think the video is excellent and I don't normally say that about BA
adverts. The concept is surely about "Britishness" and just asking
Brits to patriotically support the GB Olympics team. And of course
BA want millions of visitors to fly with them to the UK! Seems simple
enough to me.

So why have the "Don't Fly" slogan. It's simply bizarre.

Have you considered the possibility that their flights for the Olympic
period are already full enough to make a profit? I'm inclined to agree
with Paul about the advert but if it doesn't work for you, so be it.

Let me tell you a tale....

I had an Uncle who was a journalist. One day my father met him and said
"I've just seen a wonderful poster on Hammersmith station. It was a
picture of a girl wearing a shirt and the copy read 'It looks even better on
a man'". My Uncle said "which shirt did it advertise?" My father had to
admit he couldn't name the brand. "Then it wasn't a very effective advert
was it?" said my Uncle.

Maybe the BA advert does work for you to the extent that you can now name
them!

Old June 19th 12, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/06/2012 16:38, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:59:45 on
Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
I think the video is excellent and I don't normally say that about BA
adverts. The concept is surely about "Britishness" and just asking
Brits to patriotically support the GB Olympics team. And of course
BA want millions of visitors to fly with them to the UK! Seems simple
enough to me.

So why have the "Don't Fly" slogan. It's simply bizarre.

I'm not sure you quite get it...
Old June 19th 12, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/06/2012 15:59, Paul Corfield wrote:

In , at 14:10:27 on
up: http://www.youtube.com/user/flybritishairways

The first part seems to be making a connection between BA and London,
for foreigners. Then it ends with the "Don't Fly" message which can only
be aimed at Brits.

Very odd.

I think the video is excellent and I don't normally say that about BA
adverts. The concept is surely about "Britishness" and just asking
Brits to patriotically support the GB Olympics team. And of course
BA want millions of visitors to fly with them to the UK! Seems simple
enough to me.

Can you imagine the faux furore there would be if BA launched a
campaign to persuade Brits to bugger off from the UK when the Games
are on? It would be the modern day equivalent of Maggie putting her
hankie over the model jet with the "arty" tail design that BA had on
their planes for a number of years. The Sun, Mail and Telegraph would
be screeching on for weeks about it.

Given the huge play BA make about being the UK's favourite airline
they're not going to step out of line.

Quite agree with your thoughts. 'Stay in Blighty, support Team GB, enjoy
the Olympics in the host country, your country'.
Old June 19th 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:06:29 on
Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Maybe the BA advert does work for you to the extent that you can now
name them!

I'd rather be trying to forget them, to be honest.