Old July 26th 12, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sad bus spotting question

A convoy of unusual buses in advertising liveries went past our office
the other day - connected with some kind of sports day, I understand.

One of them was an exotic looking vehicle in Lloyds TSB branding. Anyone
know what its background is? It looked more like something from Malta
than London.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old July 26th 12, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/07/2012 19:55, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:33:14 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

A convoy of unusual buses in advertising liveries went past our office
the other day - connected with some kind of sports day, I understand.

One of them was an exotic looking vehicle in Lloyds TSB branding. Anyone
know what its background is? It looked more like something from Malta
than London.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenbrandist/7119103369/

provides the answer.

Perfect, thanks. So it really is from Malta.

It's erm, for a friend who asked...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 26th 12, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:09:33 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

wrote:

A convoy of unusual buses in advertising liveries went past our office
the other day - connected with some kind of sports day, I understand.

One of them was an exotic looking vehicle in Lloyds TSB branding. Anyone
know what its background is? It looked more like something from Malta
than London.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenbrandist/7119103369/

provides the answer.

Perfect, thanks. So it really is from Malta.

Oh it definitely is.

It's erm, for a friend who asked...

I'll believe you, thousands wouldn't ;-)

Here's my shot of it as it went past me yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...in/photostream
Old July 26th 12, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/07/2012 21:22, Recliner wrote:
[Maltese Lloyds TSB bus]
Here's my shot of it as it went past me yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...in/photostream

It's was a bit more of an imaginative effort than the Coca Cola and
Samsung 'floats'.

I really enjoyed seeing the torch relay, and so did everyone else I know
who went to catch a glimpse. Barmy maybe, but great fun.
Old July 26th 12, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:51:21 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 26/07/2012 21:22, Recliner wrote:
[Maltese Lloyds TSB bus]
Here's my shot of it as it went past me yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...in/photostream

It's was a bit more of an imaginative effort than the Coca Cola and
Samsung 'floats'.

I really enjoyed seeing the torch relay, and so did everyone else I know
who went to catch a glimpse. Barmy maybe, but great fun.

Yes, I was a bit cynical about this synthetic, commercial event, but
on the day, everyone loved it here, and apparently everywhere else.
Where I was, the security was low key, the police were friendly, and
it was even on time. It's a quiet suburban area, so not too many
spectators.

It's done a great job of bringing the Olympics to the many Brits who
would otherwise have only seen any of it on TV. And people really have
turned out for it in large numbers all over the country. I'm quite
jealous of the flame, which has seen some amazing sights. And also
full credit to the police escort runners, who must now be the most
filmed and photographed cops in the world. You can see how one of the
police runners was suspicious of my camera's noisy rapid fire shutter
and looked hard at me in this shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...57630743333584

As for the floats, I thought the Coke one was best. The Samsung one
looked more like a very high tech dusk cart.

For anyone who's interested, here's the set of my pics on the day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...7630743333584/

Old July 26th 12, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/07/2012 21:22, Recliner wrote:

Here's my shot of it as it went past me yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...in/photostream

Up north there was this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3184820...n/photostream/

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 26th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Have the police running with the torch been the same ones throughout the
whole journey or have they changed by region?
Old July 26th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/07/2012 22:15, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 26/07/2012 21:22, Recliner wrote:

Here's my shot of it as it went past me yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...in/photostream

Up north there was this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3184820...n/photostream/

Did the torch not take a ride on the Tube, BTW?
Old July 26th 12, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

A convoy of unusual buses in advertising liveries went past our office
the other day - connected with some kind of sports day, I understand.

One of them was an exotic looking vehicle in Lloyds TSB branding. Anyone
know what its background is? It looked more like something from Malta
than London.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenbrandist/7119103369/

provides the answer.

Thank you - as an aside, my only visit to Malta a few years ago was while
these old buses were still in use, and I had wondered quite how old they
were. It was no surprise to read on the flickr page that this one was from
the late 60s - and that determining its exact age was a slightly complicated
matter - but interesting nevertheless. The 'G' registration would suggest
that being declared roadworthy in late 1968 was the key date for allocating
its British registration number

Martin

Old July 26th 12, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Are those buses no longer operating in revenue service?