Old August 17th 12, 10:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thailand - railway through Market

Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html

Old August 17th 12, 10:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2012 11:15, wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old August 17th 12, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Graeme Wall) wrote:

On 17/08/2012 11:15,
wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stalls-shopper
s-dodge-bustling-commuter-train-times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

Beats stories of people frying eggs on the pavement. They should get some of
those at the weekend.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 17th 12, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

We've got the same thing in Birmingham, only different.

Bus routes not railways, on certain main roads through the Balti
Quarter, only no bugger gets out of the way.
Old August 18th 12, 11:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2012 11:30, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 17/08/2012 11:15, wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

I have seen videos of trains going through that market before. Are there
any other trains that go through such built up areas or something similar?

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India, which
runs at street levels via some residential areas, for example.

Old August 20th 12, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html
This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

I have seen videos of trains going through that market before.

You can't have. It's in the Daily Mail, and is therefore a lie!

Repent through spending
Old August 20th 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2012 11:15, wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

I have seen videos of trains going through that market before. Are there
any other trains that go through such built up areas or something similar?

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India, which
runs at street levels via some residential areas, for example.

Ahem ... India? Indiana maybe? Mind you nothing like what it once was
and they keep talking about rerouting out of the streets of Michigan City.

As for others, the Darjeeling runs alongside the road through towns which,
by their nature have markets along the roads. On a significantly lesser
scale there are still a couple of places in New Zealand where the railway
and road share a bridge. In Fort Collins, Colorado it was possible to see
full size BNSF freights running through the street; they've been relaying
the track and I'm not clear whether this has resulted in greater separation.
There's somewhere in Pennsylvania where it happens too. Switzerland has a
number of narrow (metre?) gauge lines that run through streets in much the
same way the US Interurbans (like the South Shore) used to. The Hershey
interurban on Cuba has street running in places.

It does depend on definition. I came across 2 lines in Japan, one in Tokyo
(Toden Arakawa line) and one in Kyoto (Randen) which use tram like cars but
run largely on private RoW but short sections of street running.

Old August 20th 12, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2012 11:15, wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

I have seen videos of trains going through that market before. Are
there any other trains that go through such built up areas or
something similar?

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,
which runs at street levels via some residential areas, for example.

Ahem ... India? Indiana maybe? Mind you nothing like what it once
was and they keep talking about rerouting out of the streets of Michigan
City.

It does depend on definition. I came across 2 lines in Japan, one in
Tokyo (Toden Arakawa line) and one in Kyoto (Randen) which use tram like
cars but run largely on private RoW but short sections of street running.

What about Aguas Calientes in Peru? There's no road there and the main
street of the town is dominated by the railway that runs straight through it
Old August 20th 12, 02:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2012 11:15, wrote:
[...]

Absolutely.

In the days when the trains in Peru were run by the government they ran a
daily train from Cusco to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca ( went on it
in late 1979). Once a week the train ran on, from the station, through the
streets of Puno to connect with the overnight boat to Bolivia. I think the
tracks are still there but I'm not sure how much use they get.

Old August 20th 12, 05:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

" wrote in
:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uit-veg-stalls
-shoppers-dodge-bustling-commuter-train-times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

I have seen videos of trains going through that market before. Are
there any other trains that go through such built up areas or
something similar?

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,
which runs at street levels via some residential areas, for example.

On the metre gauge Linha da Vouga in Portugal there is a bridge shared
between rail and road traffic just outside Sernada da Vouga. There are no
traffic lights or railway signals.

Until recently there was a standard gauge track down the middle of a busy
street in the city of Coimbra. Although mainly used for empty stock
workings there was one scheduled passenger working each way between 5am and
6am. I did see it one very wet morning in 2008 from an hotel window. A
picture was impossible. This was the line to Serpins, closed in 2009 for
conversion to 'Tram - Train' which project was promptly cancelled.