Old November 24th 12, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On 24/11/2012 14:57, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:23:05 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
As for running a faux-local-bus-service, I doubt if anyone on such
buses
wants to be there. They'd rather be on the train that was cancelled.

It's ridiculous to expect someone might be hovering at the railway
station on the off-chance of a bustitution that might go past their
house.

Not if they are aware if the bustitution and know the route it will
have to take.

If they are aware, but in order to be aware they either need to be
hovering at the railway station waiting for the off-chance that the OHL
will collapse, or monitoring the ToC's twitter feed so they can rush to
the railway station rather than their regular bus stop.

These are extreme corner cases.

Well those seem to be your favourites.

This time it's your corner cases that I'm saying shouldn't be dictating
general policy.

Not my cases, you keep inventing unlikely and improbable scenarios and
then, apparently, claiming they are dictating general policy.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old November 24th 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2012 15:07, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:36:57 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
If all the station has is a bit of passing country road, that's what
they need to use. The contract won't require the bus operator to install
a bus stop.

It will require them to stop at a designated place.

"Second tree along from the bend in the road, next to the muddy grass
verge"? Because that's all there is.

All that you notice. Far more likely will be defined with reference to
the station.

Old November 24th 12, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2012 15:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
14:28:29 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
But there are official bus stops in the High Street.

But the RRS bus is not authorised to use them.

Authorised by whom?

The RSS is not authorised, by virtue of the operator not possessing a
valid
licence for the RSS to operate a local bus service

But it's not a local bus service. It's an emergency bustitution.

So therefore it can't use the local bus stops.

Old November 24th 12, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2012 15:12, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:37:41 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
and if any problems (For example, someone misses an important
appointment that they would otherwise have attended) arise because of
this, you can be sued by the TOC for damages.

What if I'm the one late for an appointment, and the ToC can mitigate
their loss by dropping me off en-route?

If you are the one that's late you've got no case against them

I have a case, because it was their train that broke down, ripped up the
OHL, or whatever the reason was they had to find a RRB.

Read the T&Cs

The ones that say if me getting off the bus delays it another few
seconds[1], none of the other passengers can sue either? Those T&C?

No the real ones, not the fantasies you seem to dream up to support your
increasingly ludicrous scenarios.

Old November 24th 12, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:28:38 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

This time it's your corner cases that I'm saying shouldn't be dictating
general policy.

Not my cases, you keep inventing unlikely and improbable scenarios and
then, apparently, claiming they are dictating general policy.

There was an objection to intermediate drop-off by bustitution vehicles
in that they are apparently uninsured if giving random non-train-users
local rides.

My improbable and unlikely scenarios (glad you agree about that, by the
way) relate to the mechanism by which such random non-train-users might
ever find their way onto the buses in the first place.

If it's unlikely and improbable that they find their way onto the buses,
then the intermediate drop-off policy should not be dictated by the
objective of preventing them using the bus.

Old November 24th 12, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:28:29
on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
But there are official bus stops in the High Street.

But the RRS bus is not authorised to use them.

Authorised by whom?

The RSS is not authorised, by virtue of the operator not possessing a
valid
licence for the RSS to operate a local bus service

But it's not a local bus service. It's an emergency bustitution.

Which is exactly what at least three posters to this thread have been
telling you for the last few days.

Old November 24th 12, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:37:41 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
and if any problems (For example, someone misses an important
appointment that they would otherwise have attended) arise because of
this, you can be sued by the TOC for damages.

What if I'm the one late for an appointment, and the ToC can mitigate
their loss by dropping me off en-route?

If you are the one that's late you've got no case against them

I have a case, because it was their train that broke down, ripped up the
OHL, or whatever the reason was they had to find a RRB.

Read the T&Cs

The ones that say if me getting off the bus delays it another few
seconds[1], none of the other passengers can sue either? Those T&C?

[1] Or not, if all it means is getting to the next red traffic light a bit
later.

Once again the thread descends down a rathole where common sense
has been thrown out of the window

Old November 24th 12, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2012 15:34, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:28:38 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

This time it's your corner cases that I'm saying shouldn't be dictating
general policy.

Not my cases, you keep inventing unlikely and improbable scenarios and
then, apparently, claiming they are dictating general policy.

There was an objection to intermediate drop-off by bustitution vehicles
in that they are apparently uninsured if giving random non-train-users
local rides.

Well you've got that bit wrong.

My improbable and unlikely scenarios (glad you agree about that, by the
way) relate to the mechanism by which such random non-train-users might
ever find their way onto the buses in the first place.

Well you've got that bit wrong as well.

If it's unlikely and improbable that they find their way onto the buses,
then the intermediate drop-off policy should not be dictated by the
objective of preventing them using the bus.

And you've got that bit wrong as well.

Doing well so far.

Old November 24th 12, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:35:16
on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
Do tell us of your thoughts for the bus driver who was sitting down with
his
family at home, about to watch his favourite progamme on the telly, when
the
phone rang and a voice said:-

"Hi, Fred, Blakey here... fancy a bit of overtime? it'll take you ten
minutes to get into the depot, we'll have 777 ready for you with the
paperwork, just take it up to (insert some station thirty miles away) and
report to the railway people, run a shuttle up as far as Guildford, as
required, don't know what time you'll finish, we'll try and cover your
roster tommorow morning".

And it's the Freds of this world who drop what they are doing and get
thoughtless pratts like YOU home.

The thoughtless pratts are the people who think it's clever to make the
bus passengers walk a mile in the dark and the rain, rather than dropping
them off somewhere more convenient that they happened to be passing.

To suggest this makes Fred (who isn't the only person in the world to get
asked to do unscheduled overtime - every passenger on the bus has lost an
hour of their evening too) get back home a minute or two later is
over-egging the situation to the point of absurdity. A hundred other
things might make him later too, like getting lost on the way ad having to
ask the passengers for directions.

This inflexible attitude is exactly what gives the railways such a poor
reputation, and means a lot of people won't even consider using them.

But we are not the pratts who are walking back home from the station.

Old November 24th 12, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:47:29 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

And you've got that bit wrong as well.

I'm tempted to ask why you think I've got it wrong, but you never
respond to such requests, so I won't.