Old November 23rd 12, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:39:21
on Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips... passengers want to
be let off all over the place, when the contract is for either actual
railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on the main
road nearby.

As a passenger on such buses I can understand the problem.

Why should I be driven down my Village's High Street (where I live) and
not be let off until the bus has gone as far as the railway station a mile
outside the village?

Being on the bus is one inconvenience, passing my house and expecting me
to walk a mile back is an inconvenience too far.

But if the railway went past the bottom of your garden, and the train
stopped there for a signal, would you expect to be able to get off the train
outside your house and jump over the fence, or carry on to th e station and
walk back? or take a taxi?

Old November 23rd 12, 06:32 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at
06:15:28 on Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips... passengers want to
be let off all over the place, when the contract is for either actual
railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on the main
road nearby.

As a passenger on such buses I can understand the problem.

Why should I be driven down my Village's High Street (where I live) and
not be let off until the bus has gone as far as the railway station a mile
outside the village?

Being on the bus is one inconvenience, passing my house and expecting me
to walk a mile back is an inconvenience too far.

But if the railway went past the bottom of your garden,

At one house I owned in the 90's, that was the case.

and the train stopped there for a signal, would you expect to be able
to get off the train outside your house and jump over the fence, or
carry on to th e station and walk back? or take a taxi?

There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.
Old November 23rd 12, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:32:00 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.

And those passengers who don't want to get off in the high street are
delayed because of you. How is that fair? And if they let you off they'll
have to let everyone off at whatever random place is convenient and then
the whole service breaks down.

I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

B2003

Old November 23rd 12, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 23/11/2012 09:50, d wrote:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely
refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is
just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

Yup. And if you're working for a train company, and their policy is
stations only, which is the case for all the ones I've worked for, then
after the driver's lost his job, the coach company lose the contract,
which could potentially put all the drivers there out of work.

And to the guy that suggested it's only a few seconds delay, it's
actually at least a minute by the time the coach has slowed down, opened
the door, let the passenger out, closed the door and got back into the
traffic stream. Multiply that by the other ten passengers that will now
insist on the same treatment, and you've missed the connecting train, so
everyone who's going further on has to wait an hour for the next one.

If you want door to door transport, take a taxi or drive. Otherwise
accept that the needs of the rest of the passengers outweigh your wants.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 23rd 12, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:12:43 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

I'm quite happy to be let off at "official" bus stops, although I think
your cautionary tale is an urban myth, because most of the stations en
route don't have bus stops, nor any other facility for delivering people
other than by dropping them off at the kerbside (often in darkness).
Old November 23rd 12, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:38:07 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:
And to the guy that suggested it's only a few seconds delay, it's
actually at least a minute by the time the coach has slowed down,
opened the door, let the passenger out, closed the door and got back
into the traffic stream.

What are these buses doing about traffic lights, zebra crossing and (god
forbid) level crossings? They failing to stop at any of them either,
because a few seconds delay will be so catastrophic?

No; there's plenty of slack in the schedule, just like normal buses that
have to stop every now and again en route.

(And on the roads I had in mind, virtually no other traffic).

This "can't do" attitude is what's dragging this country to ruin, and
especially where things like transport is concerned.
Old November 23rd 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 23/11/2012 11:53, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:12:43 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely
refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which
is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

I'm quite happy to be let off at "official" bus stops, although I think
your cautionary tale is an urban myth, because most of the stations en
route don't have bus stops, nor any other facility for delivering people
other than by dropping them off at the kerbside (often in darkness).

I was answering Boltar not you. I believe bus replacement services have
designated "bus stops", which wouldn't include "middle of the high
street". Therefore the insurance angle might still apply.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 23rd 12, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:49:30 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:50:03 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, d remarked:
There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.

And those passengers who don't want to get off in the high street are
delayed because of you. How is that fair?

Everyone's already been delayed by the bustitution. Another fifteen
seconds isn't going to make any difference.

Sure, if its just you. But then Mable wants to get off at Bingo. Tracy wants
to get off at Mothercare down the road and Kev wants to get off at the Dole
office. Eventually half the passengers have got off before the next station
and the bus is 10 minutes late.

I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse

open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

I was attempting to use a train!

Yeah well, you were on a bus. You must have known there was a bus replacement
service so you could always have taken the car instead.

B2003