Old August 25th 12, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

Old August 25th 12, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 25/08/2012 10:04, Ernesto wrote:
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.

I've seen this. I think that this is because they are not allowed to
open the doors between stops, yet they are well aware that a traffic
queue makes it unrealistic for passengers to wait until the bus reaches
the stop, which might be only a few metres away.
Old August 25th 12, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3 years
ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the pavement
stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused to allow me to
get off.

Old August 25th 12, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 25/08/2012 14:20, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling
to open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they
can press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from
the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3
years ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the
pavement stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused to
allow me to get off.

Why didn't you just push past him? Were customers not allowed to alight
from a Routemaster if the bus had come to a full stop in traffic?
Old August 25th 12, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

I'd suspect it's more to do with the onboard CCTV and Driver monitoring
equipment,which being visual only,will not pick up the Drivers "advice" to
passengers.

Drivers actually picked up on CCTV opening the doors at anything other than
a fully secured and pre-vetted location would most likely,a month later, be
required to approach Sir Brian Souter or Tim O Toole on bended knee,whilst
pleading for their lives.....

Public Transport now has forgotten all about the likes of Bus Conductors
advising their passengers to "Hold the Bar now please Ladies...Ding Ding"

Old August 25th 12, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling
to open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they
can press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from
the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3
years ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the
pavement stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused to
allow me to get off.

Why didn't you just push past him? Were customers not allowed to alight
from a Routemaster if the bus had come to a full stop in traffic?

He was standing with his hands on the stanchions either side of the platform
with his back to the centre pole. I used the word Vintage deliberately; it
was not a PSV operation but a private operation from city centre to what
I'll call an attraction on the outskirts. Had I pushed by there was a
significant risk one, or both, of us might have been hurt in the resulting
tumble from the bus.