Old January 23rd 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Richmond Park/Wilmbeldon Common Rail/Tube/Decent Bus gap

Take a look at a map. Find Richmond PArk. Find Wimbledon Common. Find
the space in the middle. That's me. I live in Robin Hood Lane,
Kingston Vale, just off the A3.

There is no tube or train station for miles. There is a series of
trainlines that circle the parks. There are connecting buses but they
all take council estate diversions.

I would love... LOVE... a tube or train station on the A3, maybe near
Asda, maybe Roehampton at a push. Or even a direct bus that goes from
Kingston to Putney through Tibbets Corner (and not the Roehampton
estates).

What are the chances of my dream being fulfilled?

Old January 23rd 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rich Johnston" wrote in message
m...
Take a look at a map. Find Richmond PArk. Find Wimbledon Common. Find
the space in the middle. That's me. I live in Robin Hood Lane,
Kingston Vale, just off the A3.

There is no tube or train station for miles. There is a series of
trainlines that circle the parks. There are connecting buses but they
all take council estate diversions.

I would love... LOVE... a tube or train station on the A3, maybe near
Asda, maybe Roehampton at a push. Or even a direct bus that goes from
Kingston to Putney through Tibbets Corner (and not the Roehampton
estates).

What are the chances of my dream being fulfilled?

I wouldn't have thought the chances of a train or tram were too great as it
looks like it would be a lot of exepensive infrastructure to serve
relatively few people. Lobbying for a direct bus may be the best shot -
Kingston to Clapham Junction or something, perhaps with a couple of express
sections.

Jonn

Old January 23rd 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rich Johnston wrote:
Take a look at a map. Find Richmond PArk. Find Wimbledon Common. Find
the space in the middle. That's me. I live in Robin Hood Lane,
Kingston Vale, just off the A3.

There is no tube or train station for miles. There is a series of
trainlines that circle the parks. There are connecting buses but they
all take council estate diversions.

I would love... LOVE... a tube or train station on the A3, maybe near
Asda, maybe Roehampton at a push. Or even a direct bus that goes from
Kingston to Putney through Tibbets Corner (and not the Roehampton
estates).

What are the chances of my dream being fulfilled?

Zero. Your little area is already served by the 85, K3 and 265 buses. OK,
they go through the Roehampton estates, but the K3 goes through *your*
estate, and I thought it then ran fairly directly to Norbiton and Kingston.
That means you'll be one short bus journey away from Crossrail in 10 years
time. (Perhaps)

Alternatively, you could move to somewhere that wasn't surrounded by park,
common and golf course.
--
Richard J.

Old January 23rd 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Well you have the following

K3 - Roehampton Vale (Asda)-Kingston-Esher (bear in mind this route in years
has had more capacity over the years)
85/N85 - Kingston-Putney Bridge
265 - Tolworth Broadway to Putney Bridge (former part of the 72 southern
end)

Not too far away

72 - Roehampton to East Acton
430 - Roehampton-West Brompton (former 74 Southern end)
57 - Kingston to Streatham Hill
39 - Putney Bridge to Clapham Junction via Southfields

To be placing a tram is in practical due to location of where you are.

Well ths Tibbetts Corner to Kingston should be interesting do you reckon
many people would use it?
"Rich Johnston" wrote in message
m...
Take a look at a map. Find Richmond PArk. Find Wimbledon Common. Find
the space in the middle. That's me. I live in Robin Hood Lane,
Kingston Vale, just off the A3.

There is no tube or train station for miles. There is a series of
trainlines that circle the parks. There are connecting buses but they
all take council estate diversions.

I would love... LOVE... a tube or train station on the A3, maybe near
Asda, maybe Roehampton at a push. Or even a direct bus that goes from
Kingston to Putney through Tibbets Corner (and not the Roehampton
estates).

What are the chances of my dream being fulfilled?

---

Old January 30th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rich Johnston wrote:

Take a look at a map. Find Richmond PArk. Find Wimbledon Common. Find
the space in the middle. That's me. I live in Robin Hood Lane,
Kingston Vale, just off the A3.

Which end?

There is no tube or train station for miles. There is a series of
trainlines that circle the parks. There are connecting buses but they
all take council estate diversions.

Is the 85 really so indirect?

I would love... LOVE... a tube or train station on the A3, maybe near
Asda, maybe Roehampton at a push. Or even a direct bus that goes from
Kingston to Putney through Tibbets Corner (and not the Roehampton
estates).

What are the chances of my dream being fulfilled?

A feature in the August 1991 edition of Modern Railways mentioned the
possibility of a Hammersmith & City Line extension to Putney Vale.
However, David Bayliss (LT's director of planning at the time) is quoted
as saying it was "Very unlikely to proceed" because of the expense of
construction and because planners are unconvinced about demand.

AFAIK there have been no other rail proposals officially considered.
I can imagine a scenario where Roehampton gets a station, but it
involves a combination of unlikely events (Heathrow to Waterloo service
becoming so popular that they decide more tracks are needed, decision to
build straight underground route rather than widen existing route,
decision to install Roehampton station, funding readily available).

If light rail really takes off, you may get a line eventually, but
despite its distance from the railways, your area is unlikely to be a
priority and there's no obvious alignment suitable.

You've got a better chance of a direct bus, because bus routes are
constantly being changed slightly. However, I don't fancy your chances!

"Mind the Gap Tube announcement returns after wife's plea" Sampo Smolander London Transport 1 March 11th 13 05:36 AM
Local Transport from Richmond Tube Station to Esher National Rail Station [email protected] London Transport 11 February 13th 06 04:23 PM
Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday Mark London Transport 6 November 19th 03 12:34 PM
mind the gap.. dj152 London Transport 6 November 6th 03 09:20 PM
Picc Line - Please mind the gap between the train and the platform Tom Beevers London Transport 2 August 22nd 03 09:39 AM