Old November 19th 12, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default shock, horror: few commuters using dangleway

In message , at 23:33:11 on Sun, 18 Nov
2012, Mizter T remarked:
FWIW, LT did used to run tour buses! And one could undoubtedly argue
the 9 and 15 'Heritage routes' aren't primarily about public transport.

The Covent Garden museum is about public transport, without actually
being public transport. Maybe the heritage routes are the same (a living
museum).

Old November 19th 12, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2012 22:46, Neil Williams wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

"It's public transport." Hmm...

In what way is it not? And if it is not, what are TfL doing getting
involved in it? Things that aren't public transport (e.g tour buses) are
way outside their remit.

Well - they license tour buses (witness my previous complaints regarding
Golden Tours which are still ongoing) under the London Service Permits
regime where they permit without consultation with residents, and then
basically wash their hands of, the outside of your property to become a
bus parking lot with incompetent reversing and engines idling for a
significant portion of the day.

Roll on the 10th of December when they are being moved elsewhere!

On the other hand I quite like the dangleway although I can't think how
I'd use it for my daily commute (which due to a sprained ankle at the
moment is about 6yds from bedroom to spare bedroom)
Old November 19th 12, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:17:44 on
Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:

Similarly there are no stops for buses at North Greenwich Dangleway
station despite routes running 30 seconds away. Instead there is a
rather windswept and midly confusing walk from the station. It's not
very far but it is not intuitive if you are not familiar with the area
as the Dangleway is hidden from view as you emerge from the tube
station whether into the bus station or towards the O2.

"Slightly" windswept?? I went there while it was under construction (to
get a look) and not only could I not find where it was (the O2 seemed to
be completely in the way) but it was so cold and windy I beat a
strategic retreat before getting hypothermia.

Slight plug: that would have been the day I took this (1st Feb), Shard
from Waterloo East: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/67113784
Old November 19th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/11/2012 12:33, Roland Perry wrote:

Slight plug: that would have been the day I took this (1st Feb), Shard
from Waterloo East: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/67113784

The font, colour and occluded centre makes it look like the BBC is
rather incongruously advertising in the middle of that platform...
Old November 19th 12, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:03:11 on Mon, 19 Nov
2012, Someone Somewhere remarked:
Slight plug: that would have been the day I took this (1st Feb), Shard
from Waterloo East: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/67113784

The font, colour and occluded centre makes it look like the BBC is
rather incongruously advertising in the middle of that platform...

I won't pretend it's easy to take such a photo well, or that I've
succeeded.

Apart from being very cold at the time, you have to wait until there's
no trains (it's quite a busy line) although waiting for no passengers
seems a bit easier!

Then there's getting all the various vertical platform furniture and
buildings aligned so they make as much sense as possible.

Of course, Waterloo East has platforms A-D, to avoid confusion with the
numbered platforms at Waterloo [Main]. The island is B and C.

Old November 20th 12, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:32:17 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
basically wash their hands of, the outside of your property to become a
bus parking lot with incompetent reversing and engines idling for a
significant portion of the day.

I've wondered about that. Why do bus and coach drivers leave the engines
running when there's no need for it? Apart from the fact that it doesn't
do pollution levels any favours it must cost their company a significant
amount in fuel costs over time. Diesel engines these days are not hard to
restart so they can't use that reason any more.

B2003

Old November 20th 12, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:
basically wash their hands of, the outside of your property to become a
bus parking lot with incompetent reversing and engines idling for a
significant portion of the day.

I've wondered about that. Why do bus and coach drivers leave the engines
running when there's no need for it? Apart from the fact that it doesn't
do pollution levels any favours it must cost their company a significant
amount in fuel costs over time. Diesel engines these days are not hard to
restart so they can't use that reason any more.

I've thought long and hard about this and the only conclusion I can draw
(apart from some of the Golden Tours buses which seem to require the
driver to actually turn them off from the engine cut off in the engine
bay) is that it keeps the heaters/aircon/radio/TV/internet running to
entertain the drivers (although I also feel that annoying locals keeps
the drivers entertained too)

Saying that though I have yet to be annoyed by one this morning -
probably because one did a drive past at 08:24 and didn't park and none
seen since - they will probably re-double their efforts this afternoon,
but I pity anyone trying to actually use the service (that's the case
anyway, particularly as the bus stop they use is actually unmarked for
them and their service claims it goes from Shadwell DLR but in fact it's
probably the 3rd nearest bus stop to there)

Old November 20th 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:01:05 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
I've thought long and hard about this and the only conclusion I can draw
(apart from some of the Golden Tours buses which seem to require the
driver to actually turn them off from the engine cut off in the engine
bay) is that it keeps the heaters/aircon/radio/TV/internet running to
entertain the drivers (although I also feel that annoying locals keeps
the drivers entertained too)

Its probably something like that I suppose. Though you'd think the constant
engine noise would eventually **** the drivers off too if they're trying to
relax.

B2003