London Banter

-   -   shock, horror: few commuters using dangleway (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13303-shock-horror-few-commuters-using.html)

Recliner[_2_] November 16th 12 08:29 PM

shock, horror: few commuters using dangleway

It's being reported that, post-Olympics, not many people are using the
Thames cable car, and almost all of them appear to be tourists, not
commuters. Hardly surprising as not many people need to commute from
not-quite-the-O2 to not-quite-The Excel. I suppose there will be more
tourists using it from next Spring, when the weather's brighter and there's
more of them around.

Quote:
Since the Olympics the £60m service, which operates between the 02 and the
Excel Centre, has been running at less than 10% capacity, the figures show.

Transport for London said it was early days and it remained optimistic
commuter numbers would increase.

Mayor Boris Johnson opened the Emirates Air Line in June ready for the
start of the Olympics in July and so far 1.5 million trips have been made.

Since the end of the Games in September 400,000 journeys have been made but
of those only 1,400 were discounted commuter fares, which are 10 for £1.60.

This accounts for 0.01% of all trips since the end of the Games.
-- End quote

Full story:

Basil Jet[_3_] November 17th 12 01:09 AM

On 2012\11\16 21:29, Recliner wrote:
[...]

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

Neil Williams November 17th 12 09:38 AM

Basil Jet wrote:

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

I think anyone with a Travelcard or Oyster cap should be able to use it,
it's public transport. Just set a high Oyster single fare, and a punitive
cash fare per the Tube.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Recliner[_2_] November 17th 12 09:44 AM

Neil Williams wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

I think anyone with a Travelcard or Oyster cap should be able to use it,
it's public transport. Just set a high Oyster single fare, and a punitive
cash fare per the Tube.

Yes, I suspect that they'll have to do something like that, once they've
got through all the "early adopters", prepared to pay a premium price for
the views. Of course, if they do as you suggest, Freedom pass holders will
also get to travel free.

Basil Jet[_3_] November 17th 12 11:25 AM

On 2012\11\17 10:44, Recliner wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

I think anyone with a Travelcard or Oyster cap should be able to use it,
it's public transport. Just set a high Oyster single fare, and a punitive
cash fare per the Tube.

Yes, I suspect that they'll have to do something like that, once they've
got through all the "early adopters", prepared to pay a premium price for
the views. Of course, if they do as you suggest, Freedom pass holders will
also get to travel free.

They should also let unemployed people travel free, otherwise it's a
mockery calling them gone-dolers.

Basil Jet[_3_] November 17th 12 11:27 AM

Neil Williams wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

I think anyone with a Travelcard or Oyster cap should be able to use it,
it's public transport. Just set a high Oyster single fare, and a
punitive
cash fare per the Tube.

Yes, I suspect that they'll have to do something like that, once they've
got through all the "early adopters", prepared to pay a premium price for
the views. Of course, if they do as you suggest, Freedom pass holders
will
also get to travel free.

They should also let unemployed people travel free, otherwise it's a
mockery calling them gone-dolers.

Are they able to unhook most of gondolas in the winter, or did our
green-crazy TfL not think of that?

Recliner[_2_] November 17th 12 11:42 AM

shock, horror: few commuters using dangleway

Neil Williams wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

I think anyone with a Travelcard or Oyster cap should be able to use it,
it's public transport. Just set a high Oyster single fare, and a
punitive
cash fare per the Tube.

Yes, I suspect that they'll have to do something like that, once they've
got through all the "early adopters", prepared to pay a premium price for
the views. Of course, if they do as you suggest, Freedom pass holders
will
also get to travel free.

They should also let unemployed people travel free, otherwise it's a
mockery calling them gone-dolers.

Are they able to unhook most of gondolas in the winter, or did our
green-crazy TfL not think of that?

That's certainly possible in the Alps, and as the Thames cable car is
a fairly standard Doppelmayr (Austrian) design, it should be possible
(assuming they have somewhere to garage them). Here's a pic I took of
the gondola garage of the Eagle Express (also built by Doppelmayr) on
the way up to the Alpen Tower on the Planplatten, the viewing plateau
high above Meiringen.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...57630929846030

You can also see how they can easily swap special purpose gondolas
into the stream -- this pic shows a cargo gondola, carrying a folded
hang glider:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...57630432721310

Mizter T November 18th 12 08:06 PM

On 17/11/2012 10:38, Neil Williams wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:

I think anyone with a monthly or longer travelcard season should be
allowed to use it free, that way the tourists would still have to pay.

I think anyone with a Travelcard or Oyster cap should be able to use it,
it's public transport. Just set a high Oyster single fare, and a punitive
cash fare per the Tube.

"It's public transport." Hmm...

Neil Williams November 18th 12 09:46 PM

shock, horror: few commuters using dangleway

Mizter T wrote:

"It's public transport." Hmm...

In what way is it not? And if it is not, what are TfL doing getting
involved in it? Things that aren't public transport (e.g tour buses) are
way outside their remit.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Mizter T November 18th 12 10:33 PM

On 18/11/2012 22:46, Neil Williams wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

"It's public transport." Hmm...

In what way is it not? And if it is not, what are TfL doing getting
involved in it? Things that aren't public transport (e.g tour buses) are
way outside their remit.

I'm far from convinced it serves any real, substantive public transport
need.

TfL are involved because the Mayor told them to be involved, it's as
simple as that.

I wish the dangleway every success, I just can't see how that success
might come about.

It does at least provide Londoners with a 'ride with a view' at a rather
more accessible price than the (still fantastic) London Eye, so families
can be in appreciation of that. (Don't get me started on twenty five
quid for the Shard!)

FWIW, LT did used to run tour buses! And one could undoubtedly argue the
9 and 15 'Heritage routes' aren't primarily about public transport.