Old December 23rd 12, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Tube lines steam (was Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam)

In article ,
wrote:
On 18 Dec 2012 20:55:00 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

In uk.railway wrote:
Not for passenger operation,the Central London Railway had two
Hunslets built to tube gauge for maintenance trains.
Unfortunately no photo seems to be around on the WWW to link to,
In a book I have they look quite smart. Dual fired ,on coal or oil.

http://districtdave.proboards.com/in...=2471 &page=1

Theo

Thanks for that link, had never heard of the other Loco Brazil
mentioned on that thread first. looks quite basic compared to the CLR
one which has a certain finesse about it.

That photo (of Brazil, not the neat little CLR loco) raises a question
in my mind. Kerr, Stuart's "Brazil" class were narrow gauge locos
not standard, and that does look very like an NG "Brazil" to my eyes.
The cab is a bit of a ramshackle afterthought it seems but apart from
that it looks identical in size and shape to the Brazil classes on the
SKLR and at Whipsnade.

Also, the open wagons have an NG look. The enlargement of the photo makes
it hard to be sure but they don't seem to be standard gauge either. Is
this CSLR "Brazil" loco at Stockwell perhaps then a construction loco
rather than a service loco for after opening ? It would account for
why it was used at Morden and various other sites as per the thread.

Or did this one Brazil class get constructed as Standard gauge to fit
the CSLR tubes ? I'd not heard of it before anyway, thanks from me too.

Nick

Old December 23rd 12, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 23/12/2012 16:29, Nick Leverton wrote:
wrote:

In uk.railway wrote:
[...]

Tube Trains under London has a sequence of photos of 1924 stock being
delivered by road to Morden depot. The last photo shows a car just
reunited with its bogies being pulled from under the gantries by an
0-4-2 saddle tank. This would appear to be the "Brazil" loco featured
above.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old December 24th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 20 Dec, 11:50, allantracy wrote:
Indeed, I will look at a copy left on a train, or read it online. *I
would never buy the rag. It is truly appalling to read how much these
people want to control other's lives. *Even worse they think it is OK

I might not read it but I end up bloody well paying for it, at least
two or three times a week.

A salutary thought for young conservatives with raging hormones. Just
as conservative parents should think twice before sending their
offspring to a liberal college.

I can't tell you how much helping to keep Polly Toynbee in gainful
employment goes against the grain.

Still, it helps to hide the railway mags and save any embarrassment.