Old January 25th 13, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground gate revenue protection technology

I entered Euston Square station at a quiet time and noticed two
gentlemen, in plain clothes, facing the gates from about 3 metres.
I stopped to watch.
Some customers were asked to show their photocards.
Each gate was set to show a light, when used with an Oyster photocard.
I was impressed.
I have not seen any reference to such technology.
"We can tell you use an Oyster photocard." might be a good poster.
Discouraging fare evasion seems better than catching miscreants.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old January 28th 13, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:26:54 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:39:49 +0000, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

I entered Euston Square station at a quiet time and noticed two
gentlemen, in plain clothes, facing the gates from about 3 metres.
I stopped to watch.
Some customers were asked to show their photocards.
Each gate was set to show a light, when used with an Oyster photocard.
I was impressed.
I have not seen any reference to such technology.
"We can tell you use an Oyster photocard." might be a good poster.
Discouraging fare evasion seems better than catching miscreants.

That function has existed since the gates were first installed and is
not Oyster specific.

Do LU season tickets still require a photocard? I thought that requirement
disappear decades ago. I never understood the reasoning behind the idiotic
not transferable rules there used to be for paper tickets including 1 day
travelcards other than a blatant way to extort more money out of people.
Everyone ignored it anyway.

B2003

Old January 28th 13, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:35:36 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
Clearly if somone other than the nominated holder is using the Oyster
card and travelling free or at a discount when they have no such
entitlement this is fare evasion / fraud.

Fair point.

B2003

Old January 28th 13, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I don't think they did

tim