Old March 16th 13, 08:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Shortest Distance?

On 16/03/2013 17:10, Recliner wrote:
D7666 wrote:
On Mar 16, 4:54 pm, Recliner wrote:

I suggest you are both correct but it depends on what you call
platform.

Isn't there a gap there between the train and that northern 'platform'
area, so trains couldn't actually stop in that area (as the tracks are
curving)?

I'll check this coming week but I don't remember there being a gap
larger than a normal curved platform on the other hand I'll concede
I'd never thought about it.

If you look at the diagram captioned 'The New Layout' in
http://www.londonreconnections.com/2...s-blackfriars/, it
looks like the usable platform area does not include the section where the
line curves to connect to the old ramp. The northern end of the actual
platforms is now over the river, whereas it used to be well inland. It
certainly explains why the walk to the platforms from the northern station
entrance is now so long.

What about bus stops within London? Which are the two closest on one
route and which are the two furthest?

What about in other cities?

Old March 16th 13, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
[...]

There used to be assorted examples of two immediately adjacent on the
same route where one was for terminating buses.

What about in other cities?

Old March 16th 13, 09:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
[...]

Shortest, maybe between Surbiton Telephone Exchange & Berrylands Road on
the K2 .
Old March 16th 13, 10:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
[...]

Er, not in a city but I suspect that is an example of not asking the
correct question.
The prize possibly goes to the stops where buses on the same route in
opposite directions stop in the same place (thus d=0) which ISTR
occurs at several stations where buses pull off the road to stop at
the station door; possibly a disqualification needs to apply if the
stops aren't on the highway but the same effect might be obtained in a
one-way street with limited spare kerb space.
Old March 16th 13, 10:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
[...]

You did say within London & the last time I looked Kingston was a London
Borough.

Old March 17th 13, 05:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

What about bus stops within London? Which are the two closest on one
route and which are the two furthest?

Glover Drive between Tesco and Ikea in Edmonton has two bus stops, one
on eaach side of the road, opposite each other.

Both stops are served by route 192 busses in both directions.

There are also a couple of layover stops for route 341 which
terminates here.

Google map at http://goo.gl/maps/Bj0V1.
--
Regards

John
Old March 17th 13, 06:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
[...]

Correct, it's not in a city.
Old March 18th 13, 08:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
[...]

Leaving aside whether Surbiton is or is in a city, a better candidate is
just a short distance from your suggestion:
Surbiton Station
Claremont Road / Surbiton Station
Going towards Kingston the 281 and K2 stop at both which are either side of
the roundabout and probably about 50 metre apart.

Old March 18th 13, 08:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MikeS" wrote in message
"Tony Dragon" wrote in message

What about bus stops within London? Which are the two closest on one
route and which are the two furthest?

What about in other cities?

Shortest, maybe between Surbiton Telephone Exchange & Berrylands Road on
the K2 .

Leaving aside whether Surbiton is or is in a city, a better candidate is
just a short distance from your suggestion:
Surbiton Station
Claremont Road / Surbiton Station
Going towards Kingston the 281 and K2 stop at both which are either side
of the roundabout and probably about 50 metre apart.

Just measured the two Surbiton suggestions on a map. Looks like a dead heat
at about 125 metre!