Old March 19th 13, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rotherhithe tunnel

I'm wondering what genius decided to put a width restriction in the tunnel.
Was it to deliberately case immense traffic jams or was it just for a laugh?

--
Spud

Old March 19th 13, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:48:05 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
I'm wondering what genius decided to put a width restriction in the tunnel.
Was it to deliberately case immense traffic jams or was it just for a laugh?

It seems TfL did and they give some of their reasons at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/27385.aspx
Old March 19th 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I'm wondering what genius decided to put a width restriction in the tunnel.
Was it to deliberately case immense traffic jams or was it just for a laugh?

It seems TfL did and they give some of their reasons at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/27385.aspx

Hmm.

"The tunnel is now over 100 years old "

And what? For a tunnel in london thats comparatively young.

"will significantly reduce the risk of vehicle collisions,"

Translation: It'll reduce the traffic flow to a trickle.

" spillage of flammable materials, and fires in the tunnel."

Translation: This is our pretend "real" reason for doing it but we know its
BS and we know you knows its BS but there's nothing you can do about it and
we don't care anyway.

So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal for
an organisation this stupid.

--
Spud

Old March 19th 13, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013\03\19 10:31, d wrote:

So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal for
an organisation this stupid.

There is...
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...s-8532139.html

Old March 19th 13, 05:17 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
d wrote:
[...]

It isn't stupidity. It's malice and mischievousness, and it has been since TfL was first established.

This vandalism of a major road route is merely the latest in a long, long line.
Old March 20th 13, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:17:13 +0000
Robin9 wrote:
;136593 Wrote:
So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal
for
an organisation this stupid.

It isn't stupidity. It's malice and mischievousness, and it has been
since TfL was first established.

I wouldn't put it beyond the bounds of reason to assume that causing
gridlock is a cynical way of getting people onto public transport. And
hence more money in TfLs coffers.

--
Spud