Old September 5th 13, 01:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default SEFT rollout

A map of the SEFT rollout is now available on page 2 of

http://www.itso.org.uk/wp-content/up...s-Sep-2013.pdf

The maximum projected extent is shown to be: Bournemouth, Salisbury,
Bedwyn, Swindon, Banbury, Northampton, Bedford, Peterborough, Kings
Lynn and Norwich.

Old September 5th 13, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield writes:

A shame they didn't bother to explain what Base, Enhanced and Optimal
actually means

The actual usage, according to the map, of 'Optimal' and 'Enhanced'
seems to me to be contra-intuitive. Base is relatively obviously what
you start from, then it would seem that optimal should be the next 'layer'
while enhanced being the last and least important to implement.
Old September 5th 13, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 5 September 2013 11:10:13 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 01:12:31 +0100, Matthew Dickinson

wrote:

A map of the SEFT rollout is now available on page 2 of

http://www.itso.org.uk/wp-content/up...s-Sep-2013.pdf

The maximum projected extent is shown to be: Bournemouth, Salisbury,

Bedwyn, Swindon, Banbury, Northampton, Bedford, Peterborough, Kings

Lynn and Norwich.

Interesting map and phasing of work. Seems to have bent and twisted

what was the old Network South East area - beyond Bournemouth is

excluded despite being SWT territory while we have possible extensions

to Swindon and Norwich.

A shame they didn't bother to explain what Base, Enhanced and Optimal

actually means and what the decision making criteria are for

triggering subsequent phases beyond the base system. It also looks a

tiny bit daft to have phases that run beyond Cambridge and Colchester

but which do cover the connecting lines between Ely, Norwich, Ipswich

and Cambridge. Given Greater Anglia are within the scope of SEFT

anyway and they run the key services over these lines what would be

the issue other than the usual ones of cost etc? Just looks a bit odd

to me.

The base scheme looks like the mechanism to turn Chiltern, South

Eastern and FCC "smart" given the lack of ITSO obligations in those

franchises.

Also interesting to see the 2 year extension for ITSO card processing

for London. I wonder how much money has been spent on the current

contract to process virtually no cards given there is negligible or no

ITSO card acceptance on the TfL system at the moment (happy to be

corrected)? Clearly you have to do testing etc but the article reads

as if an existing service is being continued.

--

Paul C

ENCTS cards are ITSO cards that are valid on TfL buses. I'm not sure if they are being used on bus readers yet.

The Marston Vale and Abbey Flyer lines are odd omissions to the SEFT plans, and Heathrow Oyster acceptance is, I presume, an error.
Old September 5th 13, 05:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2013\09\05 15:49, Graham Murray wrote:
Paul Corfield writes:

A shame they didn't bother to explain what Base, Enhanced and Optimal
actually means

The actual usage, according to the map, of 'Optimal' and 'Enhanced'
seems to me to be contra-intuitive.

I imagine they refer to the level of funding which is still to be
determined: if they receive base funding they do the base lot, enhanced
funding they do the enhanced lot too and optimal funding will allow them
to do the lot.

Old September 5th 13, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 5 September 2013 19:01:04 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

I thought the Chancellor had doled out �45m to do the entire South

East - all TOCs and all bus companies. That's how I read the

announcement over a year ago (not that I can find on the government's

website after 1 hour of searching)!.

--

Paul C

SEFT is purely rail.
The government did announce an increase in grants to bus operators in England that fitted smartcard readers however.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...mart-ticketing

Old September 5th 13, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2013\09\05 19:01, Paul Corfield wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:

A shame they didn't bother to explain what Base, Enhanced and Optimal
actually means

The actual usage, according to the map, of 'Optimal' and 'Enhanced'
seems to me to be contra-intuitive.

I imagine they refer to the level of funding which is still to be
determined: if they receive base funding they do the base lot, enhanced
funding they do the enhanced lot too and optimal funding will allow them
to do the lot.

I thought the Chancellor had doled out £45m to do the entire South
East

Maybe it's an old map.

Old September 5th 13, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/09/2013 16:14, Matthew Dickinson wrote:

On Thursday, 5 September 2013 11:10:13 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]
Also interesting to see the 2 year extension for ITSO card processing
for London. I wonder how much money has been spent on the current
contract to process virtually no cards given there is negligible or no
ITSO card acceptance on the TfL system at the moment (happy to be
corrected)? Clearly you have to do testing etc but the article reads
as if an existing service is being continued.

ENCTS cards are ITSO cards that are valid on TfL buses. I'm not sure
if they are being used on bus readers yet.

I'm fairly sure ENCTS cards can now be read on TfL bus readers. (I think
the bus readers have all been updated to the Cubic 'Tri-Reader 3' which
can handle Oyster/Mifare, ITSO and EMV contactless cards (i.e. Visa
PayWave, Mastercard PayPass etc).
Old September 5th 13, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/09/2013 20:47, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:07:23 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

On Thursday, 5 September 2013 19:01:04 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

I thought the Chancellor had doled out £45m to do the entire South
East - all TOCs and all bus companies. That's how I read the
announcement over a year ago (not that I can find on the government's
website after 1 hour of searching)!.

SEFT is purely rail.
The government did announce an increase in grants to bus operators
in England that fitted smartcard readers however.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...mart-ticketing

Well I had found that but I am convinced that there was a separate
announcement from the DfT at the time of the 2011 Autumn Statement and
I think it has been pulled.

I am not disagreeing with you - you are clearly much closer to the
detail than I am. However I think there has been some judicious
editing of the press release library to remove the main announcements
about the £45m spend and the delivery deadlines (which aren't going to
be met). The impression created was of a seamless bus and rail scheme
but clearly the reality will be different.

Here are the Autumn Statement 2011 webpages on the (now defunct) HM
Treasury website, via the National Archives:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20111202170206/http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/as2011_index.htm
or via http://preview.tinyurl.com/mk77ws4

There is a link to the "Autumn statement document in full" as a PDF:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130129110402/http://cdn.hm-treasury.gov.uk/autumn_statement.pdf
or via http://preview.tinyurl.com/l27kupf

Para 1.91 (page 32) contains a reference to the SEFT scheme (though not
by that name) - it reads...

---quote---
* the Government funding improvements to the quality of travel for rail
users, including £45 million to extend smart ticketing across London and
the South-East, £80 million to support the Southern Rail franchise’s
procurement of 130 new carriages, and £290 million to limit the increase
to regulated rail and Transport for London fares in January 2012 to the
Retail Prices Index (RPI) plus one per cent.
---/quote---

There's a handful of other reference to it as well (try searching the
PDF for "ticket").

There are further more detailed documents from the Autumn Statement 2011
on those archived webpages, which can be found he
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20111202170206/http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/as2011_documents.htm
or via http://preview.tinyurl.com/l7xmhh4
Old September 5th 13, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 20:52:37 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 05/09/2013 16:14, Matthew Dickinson wrote:

ENCTS cards are ITSO cards that are valid on TfL buses. I'm not sure
if they are being used on bus readers yet.

I'm fairly sure ENCTS cards can now be read on TfL bus readers. (I think
the bus readers have all been updated to the Cubic 'Tri-Reader 3' which
can handle Oyster/Mifare, ITSO and EMV contactless cards (i.e. Visa
PayWave, Mastercard PayPass etc).

They might not have had the feature enabled, though, certainly people
I know with ITSO-only cards haven't been asked to use them on the
reader yet...

Richard.
Old September 6th 13, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

They might not have had the feature enabled, though, certainly people
I know with ITSO-only cards haven't been asked to use them on the
reader yet...

I last use a London bus a couple of weeks ago and wasn't asked then. The driver just pressed a button to log my entry.

My local bus in Bucks still has no reader and the driver issues zero fare tickets.